Proof of Funds on a Tourist Visa

Hey all, 

My partner and her 15 year old son are going to be arriving from the Philippines next month. Could someone clarify how much money is *potentially* needed to show the immigration officer upon arrival?

I've read differing reports. It's either:

1. 10,000 baht for an individual and 20,000 for a family, or
  2. 20,000 baht for an individual and 40,000 for a family

Can someone confirm? They'll both be on a tourist visa, but does it matter? Are the monetary requirements the same for a VOA and a tourist visa?

Thanks for all of your help. 

If arriving with a visa it is (2) 20K each.

Visa on arrival (15 days) = 10K or 20K per family.

Visa Exemption (30 days) = 10K or 20K per family.

Tourist visa (60 days) = 20K or 40K per family.

Thanks, everyone. That's crystal clear. 

Looks like she'll need 40k per person if arriving with a 60-day tourist visa (for her and her son). She's gotten a tourist visa visa in the Philippines before, and as some of you said....the PH immigration gave her a much harder time leaving than Thailand immigration did entering. 

That brings up another, unrelated question: Can the PH immigration really stop her? If she has all of her paperwork in order, why wouldn't she be allowed to leave the country? Seems like a violation of rights to me. Can they really stop her, or is giving her a hard and interrogating her just meant to intimidate? 

Edited by davidupatterson

She'll be here for the full three months, so she'll need a tourist visa for sure. 

I just find it strange that (as it has been mentioned accurately) that PH immigration can give her a hard time, despite the fact that she has everything she needs to exit legally. 

12 minutes ago, phil2407 said:

Does a Filipino need a visa to visit Thailand for a week? The 20k not a problem but as part of ASEAN  she still needs a VISA or can she do VOA as she'll be with me (I'm English) 

this might for Ubon Joe

She can get a 30 day visa exempt entry (it is not a VOA) when entering the country.

10 minutes ago, davidupatterson said:

I just find it strange that (as it has been mentioned accurately) that PH immigration can give her a hard time, despite the fact that she has everything she needs to exit legally. 

I'm aware of this.   

I think possibly it may be a matter of the Philippines not wanting to piss off other countries by allowing   their citizens to land on  foreign shores without  any intention of returning to the Philippines.

3 hours ago, davidupatterson said:

That brings up another, unrelated question: Can the PH immigration really stop her? If she has all of her paperwork in order, why wouldn't she be allowed to leave the country? Seems like a violation of rights to me. Can they really stop her, or is giving her a hard and interrogating her just meant to intimidate? 

The Philippines does, indeed, have unusual regulations with respect to their citizens wishing to travel abroad. For Philippine tourists, these are most likely to affect young women. See, for instance, http://immigration.gov.ph/faqs/travel-req

2. When are additional documents required?

Consistent with anti-human trafficking, -human smuggling, and -illegal recruitment laws, additional documents shall be required after (1), when:

a. Passenger discloses a doubtful, false or suspect travel intent;

b. Passports and travel documents/visas are counterfeit, fraudulent, falsified, simulated or tampered; and
c. Passenger’s totality of circumstances manifests a well-founded certainty of human trafficking, smuggling or illegal recruitment.

2.1. What are considered under 2(c)?

1. Age/Health;
  2. Educational attainment;
  3. Financial capability for travel;
  4. Travel history, if any; and
  5. Final destination.

There are much more stringent requirements for those planning to take up overseas employment.

10 hours ago, davidupatterson said:

Thanks, everyone. That's crystal clear. 

Looks like she'll need 40k per person if arriving with a 60-day tourist visa (for her and her son). She's gotten a tourist visa visa in the Philippines before, and as some of you said....the PH immigration gave her a much harder time leaving than Thailand immigration did entering. 

Yes, they can stop her and often do stop women and deny their departures. All to do with the UN pushing anti-human trafficking agenda. That and the morality police of the Philippines. Has your partner ever been married before? (You say partner and not wife) I am sure you are well aware there is no divorce in two countries in the world, Philippines and Vatican City. If she has not been married I would guess she will not have any problems. If she has been married and she has not had the marriage annulled (difficult, expensive, and time-consuming) I think she may well be given a difficult time. That said, if she has traveled to Thailand before I doubt she will have a problem. If she has been married and the marriage has not been annulled she should not admit to going to see you if questioned. She should just say she is going on vacation to Thailand with her son. 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. 

She has been married and has had her marriage annulled. It was a long, painful and difficult process....

She has been to Thailand a handful of times previously, both on visa exempt status (land border crossings) and on a tourist visa that recently expired - thus, she flew back to the Philippines. 

She did not have her son with her the last time she left the Philippines on a tourist visa. She's applying for a tourist visa next week for the both of them, and granting they get them, I'm really hoping the PH immigration doesn't give them a hard time. 

Any additional advice? Really grateful for your help and thoughts.