Us Visa Advice

I was a former Immigration lawyer from Hong Kong who dealt mostly with cases from clients regarding visas for the United States. The reason that most US non-immigrant tourist and business (B1/B2) visa applicants in Thailand are rejected are due to a lack to ties to the country. The best thing to secure a US visa is to have proof that you have family here, and a title deed to property you may own. Basically you must prove that you will leave the United States and return to Thailand. You should show your bank statements/ bankbooks to prove financial solvency and that you will have enough funds during your stay in the United States. It also helps if you have been issued a US Visa before. At the interview window, submit your passport, application form, 1 2x2 inch passport photograph, supporting documents and proof you paid the US$100 equivalent in Thai baht at any post office for the machine-readable non-immigrant visa, sadly this fee is not refunded if your application is rejected :o . At the window, the counsular officer will ask you to place your left index finger on a scanning device, and then your right index finger on the device. Then the officer will ask you why you are going, what is going to make you return to Thailand and so on, just never appear nervous, speak clearly and confidently and look at them in the face. Thai citizens are issued with 10-year validity visas. However this does not mean you can stay for 10 years in the US, it is vlaid for as many trips as you can make in 10 years, normally when you arrive at a U.S. airport you will be admitted for 180 days and it cannot be extended by crossing the Canadian or Mexican border, you must retain the original I-94 card(a white slip of paper stapled to your passport which indicates how long you can stay and confirms departure), however if you are going to Canada by land and not returning, surrender your I-94 to the Canadian official, or else the US will think you are still there and think you overstayed your visa. When exiting the U.S. please make sure the check-in counter person removes the I-94, or if you leave abroad, they think you overstay you visa, and you will be deported the next time you enter the U.S. If you are looking for other non-immigrant visas such as student, work visas, and U.S. Immigrant visas you can post them here.

hongkongexpat: Many thanks for your imput.

I am preparing for my Thai for a tourist visa and your information confirms everything I have learned in a year of research and posts in this website.

In Chiang Mai, the consular office has a reception and pay window that is visited prior to talking with a counsulor officer. This is in the U.S. Citizens service section.

I don't have a clue what a Thai is faced with in their visa section.

Are you saying that a Thai visiting the Chiang Mai counsulate for a U.S. tourist visa must first go to a Thai post office to pay the non-refundable $100 visa fee and present the receipt for the payment upon supplying the documents? Will any post office do?

Since I am in effect the sponsoring party for the trip and will be paying for the trip, should I not accompany the Thai for moral support, provide a declaration of our three year domestic relationship and be available to answer any questions regarding U.S. contacts, "compelling reasons" to return Thailand together, etc.

My take on the regulations are that a committed interdependent relationship with a retired farang in Thailand, to all intent and purposes is a "common law marriage", is just another "compelling reason" to return and my presence might be helpful, ie. family ties.

hongkongexpat:  Many thanks for your imput.

I am preparing for my Thai for a tourist visa and your information confirms everything I have learned in a year of research and posts in this website.

In Chiang Mai, the consular office has a reception and pay window that is visited prior to talking with a counsulor officer.  This is in the U.S. Citizens service section.

I don't have a clue what a Thai is faced with in their visa section.

Are you saying that a Thai visiting the Chiang Mai counsulate for a U.S.  tourist  visa must first go to a Thai post office to pay the non-refundable $100 visa fee and present the receipt for the payment upon supplying the documents?  Will any post office do?

Since I am in effect the sponsoring party for the trip and will be paying for the trip, should I not accompany the Thai for moral support, provide a declaration of our three year domestic relationship and be available to answer any questions regarding U.S. contacts, "compelling reasons" to return Thailand together, etc.

My take on the regulations are that a committed interdependent relationship with a retired farang in Thailand, to all intent and purposes is a "common law marriage", is just another "compelling reason" to return and my presence might be helpful, ie. family ties.

I have no idea about the Chiang Mai consulate, I renewed my visa in March this year at the Bangkok embassy. I know for a fact Bangkok applications are to be paid at any post office, you get a reciept and you take it to the interview. A sponsor should only provide a letter to the applicant, as only the applicant is allowed to attend the interview window(at least this is true with the Visa Issuing Posts in Toronto, Hong Kong, Bangkok, London) You should apply for a US B2 visa, but the visa is easier to get, since you are a US citizen.

I'd like to point out that the statement "Thai citizens are issued with 10-year validity visas" is not entirely accurate. The validity of the visa approved by the consular office CAN be up to 10 years, but these days it is far more typical for the applicant to be given a much shorter term on his or her first trip. Three months, six months, a year, three years, five years -- anything is possible.

Also, on arrival in the US, the immigration officer can and often does give a much shorter visitation period than 180 days. For first time visitors, they often give not much more than the length of time the individual claims he or she will be visiting. Ten days, two weeks, whatever.

In any case, neither the 10 year visa nor the 180 day visit period is a given -- and these days, they are more often NOT given than given.

Some US visa facts:

20-25% of applications are rejected at the Bangkok post

4-8% are rejected at the Hong Kong post

4-8% are rejected at the Seoul post

20-25% are rejected at the Manila post

50-60% are rejected at the Phnom Penh post

50-60% are rejected at the Ho Chi Minh City Post

20-25% are rejected at the Mumbai and New Delhi posts

30-40% are rejected at the Shanghai, Shenyang, Beijing, Guangzhou posts

What I have given here are approximate rejection rates for US visas around Asia, if you are rejected, I do not recommend you re-apply instantly, you should work out your case better, review your cirumstances, and if you believe that you can re-convince the officer, then by all means re-try. Never book a non-refundable ticket for the U.S. before visas are issued.

I'd like to point out that the statement "Thai citizens are issued with 10-year validity visas" is not entirely accurate.  The validity of the visa approved by the consular office CAN be up to 10 years, but these days it is far more typical for the applicant to be given a much shorter term on his or her first trip.  Three months, six months, a year, three years, five years -- anything is possible.

Also, on arrival in the US, the immigration officer can and often does give a much shorter visitation period than 180 days.  For first time visitors, they often give not much more than the length of time the individual claims he or she will be visiting.  Ten days, two weeks, whatever.

In any case, neither the 10 year visa nor the 180 day visit period is a given -- and these days, they are more often NOT given than given.

You are right, what I provided above were normal cases. From my experience, I am always admitted for 180 days on arrival, even though I claim I will be visiting for 1 week etc. Yes it is true you could be admitted for any time the USCIS inspector wants. And not every country is the same with validity, Thailand, in a normal case gets 10 years, but some countries only get single entries in 1-month, multiple for 3 years, etc, etc, etc. The 10 year is always granted (at least at the Hong Kong post), every one of my clients were issued with 10 year visas, even though they just wanted to go there for business for 5 days. But, it is up to the inspector. Also, all first time applicants I've seen are issued with full 10-year visas. It would be unusual for a different period to be granted.

Not unusual for Thailand, I believe; at least, based on the Thai friends and colleagues who have been granted visas here. I've seen all kinds of validities, with 10 years being the longest. But out of the 8 or 9 Thais I know, only two or three were given 10 year validities on their first application. The rest got shorter periods of various lengths (3 months was the shortest).

Not unusual for Thailand, I believe; at least, based on the Thai friends and colleagues who have been granted visas here.  I've seen all kinds of validities, with 10 years being the longest.  But out of the 8 or 9 Thais I know, only two or three were given 10 year validities on their first application.  The rest got shorter periods of various lengths (3 months was the shortest).

:o I worked on cases in Hong Kong, I haven't done any of this work in Thailand. But, are you sure they are B1 or B2 visas? Other visas have different validities. Some visas such as K-1 have 3 month, F-1 have 5 years and many others.

I have had only experience with the Hong Kong post. I applied for my visa at the Bangkok post, and was issued with the Hong Kong SAR validity (10 years). I used the 10 year validity as a example, because I know people that thought they could stay for as long as 10 years. I had some clients who complained after they were sent away for overstaying.

In August 2002, while we were living in Bangkok, my wife was given a 3-month validity US B1/2 visa. This was given without an interview or even either of us even going to Consulate. My driver dropped the application form, receipt, and supporting documents (mainly letter on major US multinational letterhead saying I am on indefinite overseas assignment) and picked up passport with visa the next day. This visa was never used as we were transferred a few months later. In early 2003 a 5-year validity US B1/2 visa was given in Beijing with basically the same documents and a short (5 minutes) interview scheduled the day before.

Later in 2003 we made a trip to the US and at the SF POE she was given a 180-day entry stamp. The officer at POE closely questioned her entry until shown the China residency book and return tickets.

From anecdotal evidence, it appears that 10-year visa is being given more often these days. I believe this may be to avoid future interviews with people that make sporadic trips to the US and in the past would have only been given visas covering the specific trip requested. Before the new interview regulations, the subsequent visas would have been given without an interview, but that is no longer allowed if the visa is over 12 months old.

TH

Yes, it used to be is you were issued a visa before, you are interview-exempt. But now, posts are upgrading to include biometric enrollment in the visas, so interviews (even for people who were issued visas before) are mandatory. By Oct 26, 2004 biometric enrollment will be in place at all U.S. consulates. The Bangkok embassy has been upgraded to take the index fingerprints of applicants, along with many Asian posts, such as Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo and Seoul to name a few. 10-year visas are more common now, as the U.S. does not want people clogging up its posts when making each trip. Each country has a different maximum validity schedule, such as countries like Cambodia, where 2 entries in 6 months is the maximum, in Iran 1 entry in 3 months is the maximum, in China where multiple in 6 months is the limit. Countries like South Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand. If you are not a Thai passport holder, even if you apply at Bangkok post, you are still given the same schedule for your country. (Example: you hold a Iranian passport and apply in Bangkok, you still are given a one-entry 3 month validity visa). Also, on arrival in the U.S. you will be enrolled in US-VISIT, where your fingerprints and photographs are taken in less than 8 seconds. If you are a citizen of a Visa Waivier Program country (such as France, UK (British Citizens only), Italy, Germany, Singapore, Brunei, Japan) you are exempt from visas, but from September 1st, you will be enrolled in US -VISIT. All passengers will be enrolled after September 1st, but Canadian and Mexican citizens are exempt.

... my presence might be helpful, ie. family ties.

A sponsor should only provide a letter to the applicant, as only the applicant is allowed to attend the interview window(at least this is true with the Visa Issuing Posts in Toronto, Hong Kong, Bangkok, London) You should apply for a US B2 visa, but the visa is easier to get, since you are a US citizen.

Not sure I agree here - I went along with my mother-in-law when she went for her interview (accompanying us to Disneyworld this year), and yes she did have to answer questions herself, but as I was providing funds for the trip, I did get asked a couple of questions myself.

Really, visa applicants have to pay at the post office? Last time my husband got a US visa (2001) we paid at the embassy. Has this changed? What about for other services like passports?

Really, visa applicants have to pay at the post office? Last time my husband got a US visa (2001) we paid at the embassy. Has this changed? What about for other services like passports?

Are you sure of that date? Must be you were very attractive that day. :o

I know that the post office payment system was already in place 1 March 2000. This is only used for visas. Normal ACS services are still paid at cashier.

Up in Chiang Mai (we've been there 3 times over the past couple of years) you do need to pay at the consulate (the first window as someone earlier referred to).

Trickiest part is almost to meet the new photo requirements...they just changed them a few months back.

The new consular officer was very friendly though. He actually gave both myself and my wife 5 yr L1/L2-visas (even though we were really only entitled to 2 years).

/// DFW

Are you sure of that date? Must be you were very attractive that day. :o

I know that the post office payment system was already in place 1 March 2000. This is only used for visas. Normal ACS services are still paid at cashier.

:D Flattery will get you everywhere lopburi! But, yes I am sure of the date, maybe it's because he was called in for an interview? Maybe we just got lucky, who knows!

It was an interesting process, I couldn't figure out why he was called in for an interview when I had been getting one year extensions for about 9 years at that point, we had money in the bank, he owned his own business, home and vehicle and he had surrendered his (hard won) green card about 6 years previously (He wasn't interested in travelling back to the US every year in order to keep it, kind of a bummer but I did see his point). But, we got a very nice, sympathetic Consular officer who gave him a multi-entry visa valid for 10 years (which he probably wouldn't have gotten had he not had the interview), so no complaints here.

And I distinctly remember this as being pre-9/11 because I heard afterwards the whole visa process had been really tightened up and they had stopped issuing these 10 year visas for awhile.

Hi..

I'm going to submit my application for US visa for the second time after I was refused on June 3, 2004. All the documents are the same, just add more information and may be money in my account. So I would like to ask hongkongexpat that I have any chance to get visa.

My documets are:

- Letter from my company ( I work there for 6 months now)

- Copy of my Company ID card (At my last interview, interviewer asked me but I didn't bring it with me)

- My name card (At my last interview, interviewer asked me)

- Brochure of my company (Interviewer didn't believe that my company is in travel business)

- Copy of TAT licence from Tourist Autority of Thailand of my company (Interviewer didn't believe that my company is in travel business)

- My salary slip (My salary is 12,000 Baht/month)

- Letter from my University (I'm a fourth year university student in Thailand now. Last time I try to give this letter to interviewer but he said "it's ok")

- My Book bank (I don't have saving money. I have only my salary every month in my account)

- Copy of my mother's ID card, her house registation and her company ID card.

- Her book bank account (Her salary is 7,000 baht / month. She don't have saving money)

- Copy of my father's ID card, his house registation (He is now retired and get a life pension given in the form of monthly payment. )

- My flight detail

- Essays of myself, my work, my friend in US and my family.

- Invitation letter from my friend in US (He will take care of all the expenses for my trip. But last time, interviewer didn't ask anything about him. Don't even mention about him)

- Letter from his company where he work.

- His bank Statement.

- His driving licence.

Those all I have. Would you suggest me what should I have more? I will accept all of the suggestion.

One thing that I'm worrying now. I don't know how to prove that I have family here and we are very close. Picture? or what else.... I'm the one who pay all the house expenses except the name of my Father is on every bills(Telephone, Electric City. etc) I really don't know. Please suggest me this one too.

Thank you very much for you kindly help.

- MBW

Your application would be stronger if you could do the following (you must decide if this "extra effort" is worth it)

1. Picutures of "family ties"

2. Buy your round trip ticket (May have to pay more to have it refundable if turned down)

3. Have father or mother put their house in your name (have deed to house)

4. Prepare itenerary for every day you will be in U.S. and include your trip deaprture and arrival times, who meets you at airport, etc.

5. Picture of your U.S. friend and you together.

6. Original records from school, report cards, current evidence of enrollment, etc.

7. Proof of envolvement in any ongoing activities and responsibilities that require your return to fulfill.

Good luck. Please post again if you make it or are turned down. Many of us are looking forward to doing this as well and all information is helpful.

• 5 months later...