No Work Permit = No ATM Card

So I was blown away this morning when I went to my bank (Kasikorn) to get a new ATM card for my long standing bank account (+15 years) and they said as a foreigner if I don't have a work permit I cannot get an ATM card issued.   What is this?    Crazy right?    They called HQ in Bangkok and it was confirmed No Work Permit = No ATM Card.    I'm married to Thai woman over 20 years now living up north and on Non-Immigrant "O" Retirement visa.   I don't believe this actually happened.   I found solution using my online banking to transfer all of this money to another account but still this is only temp solution.   If this is actually a new thing and applies to all banks than 100% of all foriegners living in Thailand with any Non-Imm visa that is not Work Permit related (marriage, retirement visas) will not be able to have an ATM card connected to their bank accounts.   Someone please explain this to me...

They (K-bank) renewed my ATM card 7 months ago. There have been recent reports on here that they have recently become very difficult to deal with. That said, this is the first time i have seen "No ATM card" to someone who already has an account there. 

late last year K bank announced that they were gonna discontinue non chip ATM cards and that customers needed to come in and get a replacement card with a chip...I went in and got one good until 11/23 with no problems along with the usual stuff needed by immigration for my yearly extension...

my K bank branch hasn't been particularly friendly but they've always been businesslike and I've had an account there for over 15 years...which is OK for the little town where I live, can't expect much more...once I went to inquire about opening a foreign currency account, sitting in the customer service section and a young woman whom I had never seen before approached me as if I was a venomous reptile to ask what I wanted, and as I was trying to explain she started waving her arms around and mouthing No! No! No!...I left in disgust, never saw her there again but by then I had made other arrangements for my euros...

OP,

Just go to another K-bank branch to renew you debit card.  With K-bank you can renew your debit card at "any" of their branches.  I would recommend you go to a big branch versus some little branch like in a mall.

• Like 2

I am on a retirement extension visa, with kbank over 3 years now, I have ATM card, as well as an online shopping card with them. Never an issue with kbank. I am a fan of KBank, hope there was not some rule change....did you just set up a DD account from USA funds? No ATM cards allowed on U S treasury deposit accounts.