Brexit helps New York take top finance spot from London: survey

webfact

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

In order 1) Yes they are 2) Brexit is backed by Spoony - isn't he your wide eyed cheerleader ? 3) sorry second paragraph has thrown me - who said there would be no food ? - I do believe that crop producers are saying they cannot recruit as the British are too lazy 4) 48 million, give or take a few did not vote for Brexit - so 17.4 million a majority ? hmmmm 5) I haven't insulted anyone, I did ask a few questions all of which you have dodged 6) Never stated the world is coming to an end, but if you think the UK would emerge from a no deal Brexit well, you are certifiably insane! You have absolutely nothing to back that up apart from hope 7) I understand you not wanting me to reply - you've got enough questions to answer already - start with the easy ones - which major job creating industry supports Brexit  - start with that one and we'll take it from there …..

image.gif.2c8812142c6258176da3daf85489da62.gif

More nonsense - if they hadn't a clue about business I'm inclined to think they wouldn't have achieved the status of BUSINESS executive right ? These are executives whose job it is to deal with financial hubs around the world - did you read the job titles of the surveyed at all ?

No-one mentioned 'every major city in the world' - just the ones that have forever been jealous of Londons standing and would do anything to alter that - and Brexit has been delivered into their lap !!

Know when the time is right to stop digging chap

1. I never said they hadn’t a clue about business, you just made that up. Let’s please try to keep the discussion honest, friendly and fun,

2. I am not disputing the accuracy of the article, my position is that not enough information is provided to have any real confidence in the accuracy.

3. Yes, I read the job titles:
a. Asset Managers
b. Private Equity Managers
c. Hedge Fund Managers
d. Bankers
e. Brokers

To be clear, none of these jobs necessarily “...deal with financial hubs around the world...”

Finally, I was one of a thousand “Business Executives” for a Fortune 50 company, that means nothing.

9 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

London will always be up there due to it's location, infrastructure and time zone. It's folly to think it will change after Brexit.

Skeleton staff will be in small offices in the EU just to adhere to regulations etc.

Please explain: what are the advantages of London above Frankfurt seen location ? And a one hour less time differences with Asia ( Frankfurt -Tokyo=7h) resp. 1 hour more towards New York ( Frf-NY = 6 hours). In fact, Frankfurt is more in the middle as London.

How long you think it will last till somebody in the board room - or share holders meeting- will ask: why to have two offices, when we can do it with one only, in Frankfurt ? Yes, your "Labour lover hippies" in London for sure already have an idea….  ! 

9 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

They are in completely different time zones and are therefore incomparable\

Chomper confused again, it's umpteen times a day, poor thing

All the big players have offices in NY, London, Japan & Hong Kong as they need to have staff available when various markets open.

Brexit sentiment is bound to have effect on a survey but there are no figures to back this up.

London will always be up there due to it's location, infrastructure and time zone. It's folly to think it will change after Brexit.

Skeleton staff will be in small offices in the EU just to adhere to regulations etc.

Because neither the EU nor the countries these "small office" will be located in will have no say in the matter? Really? 

• Confused 1

bizarre

1) yes you did - semantics isn't going to change that

2) What further information is it you're after and from who ?

3) ALL those jobs will deal with financial hubs - completely baffling statement

4) The word 'was' doesn't come as a surprise - however isn't everyone from mail room to janitor a 'vice president' in corporate US ? In the UK we just call them office workers

1. I asked you not to lie about me. I said no such thing. I don’t have any idea who they are so (unlike you) I have no opinion regarding their competence.

2. I’m not after any additional information.

3. You seem to have changed your position from hubs around the world to hubs, how funny is that? I maintain that these jobs do not necessitate dealing with hubs around the world. Some people in these jobs would have to deal with hubs around the world, but typically they would not.

4. I never worked in corporate US so that’s not something (again unlike you) I feel qualified to comment on.

Yes, the costs in the USA are shockingly prohibitive.

When I had a staff infection in my leg, had it treated at Cook County, in the hospital about a week, it was free.

When I had a skull fracture, broken collarbone, broken ribs, road-rash and face lacerations, again about week, this time at Howard University, free again!

When my right foot was severed and my left leg broken, spent s week at Anderson Memorial, then transferred to Rancho Los Amigos for three months inpatient and over two years outpatient to reattach it and stretch it two inches. Can you guess how much? Okay. I’ll tell you, it was free!

When I found out I had hep C and cirrhosis of the liver, guess what that cost here in Thailand? No, not this time over $35,000.

8 hours ago, Benroon said:

Frankfurt is a couple of hours from London, they have the same (or better) infrastructure if you're talking about office setup that is (I have no idea of their bus network) and in the same time zone (or -1 hour) - Frankfurt also spend every single waking minute trying to snaffle business away from London - they have done for decades and Brexit has simply given them a helping hand. It has always irked the Germans, and Americans that London was the No 1 financial world hub and they are constantly trying to undermine that. Along comes Brexit and they can't believe their luck !

A funds management company I worked for was offered state of the art offices RENT FREE for three years if they would relocate from EC1 to Frankfurt ! They are always at it.

No-one is suggesting London is going to put the For Sale boards up but billions are being relocated, and if that continues then a hugely important sector in the UK is going to suffer. Even a Brexiteer could take that in!

but billions are being relocated

SOURCE please

• Like 1

Lobby group Frankfurt Main Finance has claimed the U.K. capital’s finance industry is poised to lose up to 800 billion euros by March 2019.

Lobby group from Germany !!

However, groups representing London’s financial sector told CNBC they were yet to see major asset losses. 

The 800 billion euros being moved out of London relates to balance sheet assets such as cash, inventory and prepaid expenses. FMF told CNBC via email that companies were moving those assets from London to Frankfurt so that new offices could meet minimum operational and regulatory requirements.

As I said they are just moving things to meet minimum operational and regulatory requirements. 

Just window dressing to appease the EU dictators

You do realise it's quite a task to move overseas. Not like Joe Bloggs relocating to Thailand

The UK is still the the easiest place to do business in the G7

http://www.doingbusiness.org/en/rankings

Look at Germany(24th) , but ranked 114th!!! compared to 19th for the UK in STARTING A NEW BUSINESS!!!!

France is  32nd 

Good luck getting past all the red tape!!! I'm sure it will be worth it in the end

Furthermore, the strength of the local courts means that the rule of law will continue to be upheld, including those that protect creditor and shareholders’ rights. Secondly, the UK’s university education offerings in economics and finance are far superior to those anywhere else in Europe. And lastly, the UK’s regulations controlling tax and employment is designed specifically to boost the financial industry’s overall health and profit margins.

Edited by Sticky Wicket
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 1:30 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Christ almighty - the establishment really don't give up on the fear-mongering propaganda!

Be warned everyone, it's going to become ever more virulent following the MEP election results ☹️.

The depths of denial that some of you sink to is breathtaking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

When I had a staff infection in my leg, had it treated at Cook County, in the hospital about a week, it was free.

When I had a skull fracture, broken collarbone, broken ribs, road-rash and face lacerations, again about week, this time at Howard University, free again!

When my right foot was severed and my left leg broken, spent s week at Anderson Memorial, then transferred to Rancho Los Amigos for three months inpatient and over two years outpatient to reattach it and stretch it two inches. Can you guess how much? Okay. I’ll tell you, it was free!

When I found out I had hep C and cirrhosis of the liver, guess what that cost here in Thailand? No, not this time over $35,000.

Why should or anyone give any credence to unconfirmable anecdotal evidence?

13 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Why should or anyone give any credence to a study after only seeing the results?

Oh, it was a study, that proves it!

Are you one of those climate change deniers and vaccination opponents? Next you’ll tell us the moon doesn’t exist because you haven’t personally been there. 

• Like 1

Are you one of those climate change deniers and vaccination opponents? Next you’ll tell us the moon doesn’t exist because you haven’t personally been there. 

Are you one of those people that read the results of a study and accept it as fact?

Actually, I think that generally, climate change deniers have their children vaccinated.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mogandave said:

Why should or anyone give any credence to a study after only seeing the results?

Oh, it was a study, that proves it!

Because it's possible to go to the study and look at it in its entirety. And if by studies you mean papers published in various journals, they are also subject to independent review before being published. Where do we go to find independently confirmrf facts about your life? Who is reviewing your claims before you post them here?  More and more, you are reverting to type. Make that reverting to tripe.

Because it's possible to go to the study and look at it in its entirety. And if by studies you mean papers published in various journals, they are also subject to independent review before being published. Where do we go to find independently confirmrf facts about your life? Who is reviewing your claims before you post them here?  More and more, you are reverting to type. Make that reverting to tripe.

My question was why would anyone give credence to a study after only having seen the results.

You answered: because it’s possible to go through and look at it in it’s entirety.

That is a ridiculous answer.
1. That it’s possible to go through the study does not provide any additional information.
2. Looking at the study would not provide any additional information either, one would actually have to read the study to get additional information
3. Finally, assuming you meant it would be possible to give credence to the study because one had gone through the study to confirm its legitimacy, one would no longer fall into the category of only having read the results.

16 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Why should or anyone give any credence to unconfirmable anecdotal evidence?

Damn. Looks like you won't get any sympathy from BB! Sorry about all your troubles, Dave. 

46 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Thanks, but the foot was severed in ‘88, and as it turned out, was probably the best thing that ever happened to me...

Well the Bristolian didn't know that. Glad you managed it OK anyway.