Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Petrol stations and alcohol sales

bluesofa

There has been a thread recently part of which included a claim that someone had been drinking alcohol when going to a petrol station.

Now I definitely don’t want to get involved or revisit that thread, which was about something else entirely.

What I’m interested in is specifically about alcohol at petrol stations. I know for a few years now it has been illegal to sell alcohol at these locations.

It was 2008 the law prohibited the sale.

I found this link:  https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/242029-petrol-stations-to-be-warned-about-alcohol-sales/

The article above says: “Under the Alcohol Control Act, service station owners and grocery shops located in gas station compounds are banned from selling alcohol.”

Now I’m assuming (dangerous I know) that “service station owners and grocery shops located in gas station compounds” must include all other retail outlets – Amazon Coffee shops for example - on the same site.

Has anyone ever bought any alcohol at a petrol station since 2008? I wonder if petrol station staff filling up vehicles might be selling it on the side, although it does seem pretty far-fetched to me.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes the law is an a$$!

My nearest 7-11 is at a newly built PTT petrol station.  No alcohol.  It's not on a major through route, just a highway east of Chiang Mai.  Plenty of shops, including 7-11s & Tesco Express nearby on same road, all selling alcohol...

1 minute ago, Samuel Smith said:

My nearest 7-11 is at a newly built PTT petrol station.  No alcohol.  It's not on a major through route, just a highway east of Chiang Mai.  Plenty of shops, including 7-11s & Tesco Express nearby on same road, all selling alcohol...

Its more important that car drivers do not buy and drink alcohol whilst driving , rather than yourself having to walk a bit further to buy a drink

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its more important that car drivers do not buy and drink alcohol whilst driving , rather than yourself having to walk a bit further to buy a drink

I don't buy from 7-11.  The point i was making was that plenty of places to buy alcohol on same road.  Maybe  a good idea on motorways with no other places to buy alcohol, pointless on the road I'm talking about.

Well, its a well known fact that 7-11 sell alchohol. There are 7-11 stores located in many PTT filling stations. Now, are these stores selling alcohol, being someone who doesnt drink I dont know if specific stores are excluded from carrying that kind of stock in those specific locations but I will make a point to find out next time I go fill up.

The filling station PTT is not selling the alcohol, but 7-11 on the same site/location may be.

Lets see ????

1 hour ago, Samuel Smith said:

I don't buy from 7-11.  The point i was making was that plenty of places to buy alcohol on same road.  Maybe  a good idea on motorways with no other places to buy alcohol, pointless on the road I'm talking about.

Yes, but when people stop at petrol stations for a petrol refill, if they see a beer for sale, they may be inclined to buy a beer as well on the spur of the moment and once they have the taste for it , they may stop and buy another .

For the initial beer , yes they could stop at any 7/11 , but before that first beer , they will realise that its not a good idea to even buy one beer .

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Well, its a well known fact that 7-11 sell alchohol. There are 7-11 stores located in many PTT filling stations. Now, are these stores selling alcohol, being someone who doesnt drink I dont know if specific stores are excluded from carrying that kind of stock in those specific locations but I will make a point to find out next time I go fill up.

The filling station PTT is not selling the alcohol, but 7-11 on the same site/location may be.

Lets see ????

How could 7 Eleven sell alcohol (openly) at a petrol station when it's illegal to do so? Surely they must be the last company to break the law in that respect.

When I asked in one before the staff told me they weren't allowed to, plus I've never seen any stock at one.

Even if one maverick branch did, it would be on the itemised till receipt, leaving them open to prosecution, as it has the branch ID on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When my step-daughter was having her first baby she was living in Spain. Her Mother and myself travelled from Ireland to visit her. I was an "active" alcoholic at the time and was dreading the long time periods we would be spending in the hospital (being away from a drink). Can you imagine my exstatic delight when I discovered that there was a bar in the hospital ground floor.

That was 30 years ago and I'm 20 years sober....but Spain is still my No. 1 country in the world.

Sorry for diverting...just wanted to share that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Lets see ????

I've never seen a 7-11 in a gas station that sells alcohol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

How could 7 Eleven sell alcohol (openly) at a petrol station when it's illegal to do so? Surely they must be the last company to break the law in that respect.

When I asked in one before the staff told me they weren't allowed to, plus I've never seen any stock at one.

Even if one maverick branch did, it would be on the itemised till receipt, leaving them open to prosecution, as it has the branch ID on it.

If & that's a BIG if, a maverick 7-11 decided to sell a few grogs on the side, you really think they'd put it through the register ?

It's possible that an out of the way small 'no brand' petrol station with a 'no brand' convenience store might, but certainly non with a family mart, 7/11, or Jiffy. At least I have never seen any evidence of them doing so.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, malt25 said:

If & that's a BIG if, a maverick 7-11 decided to sell a few grogs on the side, you really think they'd put it through the register ?

I mentioned it as I just couldn't imagine any 7 Eleven franchisee wanting to risk their livelihood, and couldn't see how it would work, as I never imagined it might happen.

Do you think some branches might be selling them from under-the-counter stock? I really don't know.

I thought that would be even more difficult given the number of staff and organising them how to keep it going in that way.

Why would any petrol station or attendant sell booze under the table unless it's in the middle of nowhere? In most parts of Thailand you  probably don't have to go more than 100-200 meters from the station to find a place that sells it legally.

Where I live in Bangkok, there is a PTT station with a 7-11 on site, that doesn't sell booze. Less than 150 meters away are two Family Marts and a 7-11 that aren't in petrol stations, and all sell liquor.

Edited by gjoo888

As far as I'm aware, all retail outlets at petrol stations are banned from selling alcohol. 7/11 shops have programmed tills which stops them from registering alcohol outside of hours or stops them altogether in the case of a petrol station.

Drivers have been mentioned but it should be noted that even passengers are banned from drinking alcohol in a car or public transport.  If you're stopped and an open beer can, for instance, is spotted, then you have to face the music.

You can't buy alcohol at any petrol station in the UK and, I imagine, in many  other countries.

Edited by HHTel
correction
  • Thanks 1

As far as I can recall, none of the 7/11's attached to fuel stations sell alcohol. I bought a ham and cheese sandwich at one a few days ago, and looked for a beer to go with it. Mai mee. Why? Mai dai.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HHTel said:

You can't buy alcohol at any petrol station in the UK and, I imagine, in many  other countries.

Banned at all motorway services, but many other UK petrol stations now have liquor licences. I'm not sure when the changes were made to allow this.

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Next topic please. What is the use of this thread ? & who would enforce anything anyway

If you're not interested, just don't reply. You obviously are to have asked who would enforce it.

Same as any law here - it's enforced selectively - when there's either personal interest involved, or money to be made.

Next comment please.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Same in my area. And along the same lines, Makro in Kalasin does not sell alcohol as they are within maybe 300 metres of a university. But a 7-11 directly opposite the university sells, and indeed has a better choice of beers than many. I suppose the idea of asking for ID to check the age has never occurred to Makro, so sales are banned to everyone, including 70-year-olds. It's a funny old place, Thailand. Common sense is totally absent.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Same in my area. And along the same lines, Makro in Kalasin does not sell alcohol as they are within 3-400 metres of a university. But a 7-11 directly opposite the university sells, and indeed has a better choice of beers than many. I suppose the idea of asking for ID to check the age has never occurred to Makro, so sales are banned to everyone, including 70-year-olds. It's a funny old place, Thailand. Common sense is totally absent.

So check out which family owns/controls Makro and then check out which family has the Thai license for  7/11s.  Then check out which family has affiliates to whom and then your question may be answered as to why Makro does not sell booze yet 7/11 does.

8 hours ago, HHTel said:

As far as I'm aware, all retail outlets at petrol stations are banned from selling alcohol. 7/11 shops have programmed tills which stops them from registering alcohol outside of hours or stops them altogether in the case of a petrol station.

Drivers have been mentioned but it should be noted that even passengers are banned from drinking alcohol in a car or public transport.  If you're stopped and an open beer can, for instance, is spotted, then you have to face the music.

yes in OZZ you get fined if you have a open bottle of alcohol in your car or hands

even if you are not the driver also you can't buy any alcohol in a supermarket

only in bottle shops