Has anyone else been offered a "special service" (guaranteed entry) at Swampy airport? My experience flying into BKK last night

40 minutes ago, sallecc said:

You're right, but that's why I said "same scenario" (one family with baby, not part of tour group).

There's absolutely no reason why other than the language barrier. If they could, they would. LINE is so primitive the Chinese would laugh at it.

The Chinese get no special treatment and I don't know why people keep saying they do.

Unless it's the fact that the Chinese beat the Thais hands down at their own scams.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Oh the naivety.... 

No one ever paid 200b to the bib for a traffic infraction... Right? Because they'd had over a barrel... 

You obviously don't remember this classic initiative from a few years ago, when they hatched a scheme allowing cops to be rewarded 10,000 baht for catching offenders who were trying to bribe them.

4 hours ago, SicTransit said:

Was this peculiar scene happening in front of the immigration counter, for everyone else, including his fellow immigration officers and other tourists, to see and hear?

No, just a slight detail I forgot to add in my original post. After the lady looked at my passport and gave it to him we were told to follow him and he brought us to a new counter which didn't have someone the other side. They have lots of free desks... especially by the fast track area, without having to go so far away from everyone. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

You obviously don't remember this classic initiative from a few years ago, when they hatched a scheme allowing cops to be rewarded 10,000 baht for catching offenders who were trying to bribe them.

Which was shelved after about a month

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I have read a couple similar accounts - more from Poipet, also.  One airport-example was a cash on-the-spot offer from a Singaporean - though he was here more consistently.  

As to why there are not more reports like this, consider that the OP is now a marked-man, having provided so many details - unless those were fake (I hope, for his sake). 

But the primary reason you would not read about these stories here, is because those being targeted would be happy to have such an offer, as it removes the Constant FEAR that immigration has put into those here more-often/longer.  Almost all would pay and be quiet, so they can preserve their lives here. 

The mistake the IO (junior and senior) in this case made, was targeting someone who did not have connections in Thailand that could be used as leverage - living here most of the time and/or a Thai GF.   The OP's wife/family is not Thai. 

Provided they are sharing "properly" with the chain of command, yes.  If running an independent shop, they do risk getting busted - and sometimes are (makes good media-fodder).

And be sure the lower-level IO who is feeding him "leads" also gets a cut, to keep them enthusiastic about travelers like the OP  - who wasn't even a "Staying in Thailand most of the time" visitor.

The IOs under his command are instructed to look for anyone who can be fleeced for "being here too much before" (not a legal reason to deny-entry).    They would not need to be looking for the OP, specifically.

Well, it is "about the money" - but has never been about how much money we have to support our stays, or if we are a security-threat or any legitimate concern.  It is about how much corruption money they can extort from us. 

The apologists' crime is trying to pretend that immigration's "crackdowns" are about anything other than corruption - as they cover for them with every excuse and backhanded reason under the sun - and more "reasoning" from where the sun don't shine.

I guess most of this write up is conjecture. In the age of digital media "Blatant corruption at Svarnbhumi" headline and follow up personal story will have Thailand lose collective face internationally. "Being too much here before" on tourist visa is exploiting the system. Best to get the right visa for long term, frequent coming and going, visitors. Out of millions of yearly visitors to Thailand there are undoubtedly many foreign criminals that come here. Sure, there is corruption here. As in any other country, only the degrees vary. But for an IO to openly solicit a "target" at Svarnbhumi, exchanging LINE contact, is a head scratcher

7 hours ago, lamyai3 said:
9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Oh the naivety.... 

No one ever paid 200b to the bib for a traffic infraction... Right? Because they'd had over a barrel... 

And how did things work out after that little 'clamp down' ??? anything change?

Any news of anyone at all getting caught trying to bribe a police officer. 

IF your argument is that corruption [facilitation through Immigration by immigration officers and bribing police for traffic infractions] at this level does not exist or has been stamped out then you are obviously unaware of how naive you are... 

1 hour ago, Kasane said:

I guess most of this write up is conjecture. In the age of digital media "Blatant corruption at Svarnbhumi" headline and follow up personal story will have Thailand lose collective face internationally.

It would not be the first time, but so far has changed little - except you cannot pay "on the spot" to satisfy them now.

1 hour ago, Kasane said:

"Being too much here before" on tourist visa is exploiting the system. Best to get the right visa for long term, frequent coming and going, visitors. 

It is not exploiting anything to follow the published laws and rules created by Thai authorities.  Until those rules are changed, there is nothing wrong with entering on a Tourist Visa repeatedly.

1 hour ago, Kasane said:

Out of millions of yearly visitors to Thailand there are undoubtedly many foreign criminals that come here.

Which has nothing to do with repeat Tourist Visa use - more related to the biometric-system, which Cambodia has had for many years now.

1 hour ago, Kasane said:

Sure, there is corruption here. As in any other country, only the degrees vary. But for an IO to openly solicit a "target" at Svarnbhumi, exchanging LINE contact, is a head scratcher

It is blatant - but I think the only reason we heard about this case, was the OP doesn't "need" to stay in Thailand.   One who did would almost certainly have paid in the future, and not reported it.

3 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Which was shelved after about a month

Not the point - I said initiative, not policy. You really think it's beyond the bounds of belief that they wouldn't try and pin such racketeering on the tourist? That's why I attached the post - they've tried these tactics on before. 

28 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It would not be the first time, but so far has changed little - except you cannot pay "on the spot" to satisfy them now.

Your experience? 

It is not exploiting anything to follow the published laws and rules created by Thai authorities.  Until those rules are changed, there is nothing wrong with entering on a Tourist Visa repeatedly.

There are laws. And there are IO's. The IO's has discretion and his decision is final.

Which has nothing to do with repeat Tourist Visa use - more related to the biometric-system, which Cambodia has had for many years now.

Me thinks criminal visitors go in and out of the country frequently. Your opinion maybe different. Thats ok.

It is blatant - but I think the only reason we heard about this case, was the OP doesn't "need" to stay in Thailand.   One who did would almost certainly have paid in the future, and not reported it.

Exchanging LINE contact is more dangerous for the IO than on the spot payment. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF your argument is that corruption [facilitation through Immigration by immigration officers and bribing police for traffic infractions] at this level does not exist or has been stamped out then you are obviously unaware of how naive you are... 

Your posts are normally quite astute, not sure what's gone amiss here. Of course I've had to part with more 200 baht donations on the roads than I care to remember over the years, so I remember being particularly amused when it officially suggested that these police initiated bribes could be blamed on the motorist, with big rewards going to the innocent rozzers. Of course the idea was way too outrageous to last long, but it's the kind of parallel I was drawing in my initial post.

Unfortunately my phone seems to be freezing up whenever I try and attach emojis recently so I can't give a pictorial indication when I'm being ironic, perhaps I need to write a footnote? 

Kasane, have you ever been to Thailand before ? 

How would you think foreigners communicate with an IO If they are not in Thailand? Or are you suggesting there are NO corrupt IO in Thailand ? If you're not that naive and accept there are corrupt IO in Thailand then how would they commicate ? The IO uses a burner phone and foreigner uses international minutes calling him lol everytime to plan the trip? They communicate on the dark web ? They communice over SSL on IRC on linknet? Or they communicate on a simple VoIP app every Thai person uses and is easily accessible? Which is this most likely from the above, curious your thoughts. You really think Thai are that clever lol ? I think yes he would be silly to give his main line account but nothing stopping him having 2 phones and one could be his side business phone , 

In my opinion the reason why i think we were "hit up" for potential future payments was because we are a relatively young family me and my wife are 28 and what is more likely going to happen me wanting to gain entry into Thailand by paying relatively small money or me having me, my wife and son stuck in IDC. He knows we go to Thailand a lot and a couple times a year , same with the other people he has doing it I expect . What's more beneficial the foreigner getting into Thailand easy in the future when they want or them reporting him and getting themselves potentially having problems? It was more like a friendly chat for the next time rather than you give money to me now otherwise not come into Thailand this time. 

Edited by hello55060
Z
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your posts are normally quite astute, not sure what's gone amiss here. Of course I've had to part with more 200 baht donations on the roads than I care to remember over the years, so I remember being particularly amused when it officially suggested that these police initiated bribes could be blamed on the motorist, with big rewards going to the innocent rozzers. Of course the idea was way too outrageous to last long, but it's the kind of parallel I was drawing in my initial post.

Unfortunately my phone seems to be freezing up whenever I try and attach emojis recently so I can't give a pictorial indication when I'm being ironic, perhaps I need to write a footnote? 

Indeed, I most definitely missed the sarcasm in your initial post...  I should have waited until my morning coffee before responding... 

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2019 at 2:43 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

That's not what he said, his prior trip was about a year ago before this years trips.

Plenty of time to safe money.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

"So I was flying with my wife and my son into Thailand for the second time this year. Our first trip was 58 days (my wife and son had a tourist visa (Chinese passports, I just use the visa exempt 30 days UK passport) and extended it for a further 30 days. "

Quite clearly says his previous trip was earlier this year.

" As we stayed for 2 months, then we to SG for 2 weeks, then back Thailand last night.  I said for a holiday,  he then said "where you live?" I said  I work in Singapore you can see my work visa"

Quite clearly says he went back for only two weeks to where he works.

On 5/29/2019 at 12:06 PM, balo said:

So he asks if I have line and then scans my QR code and add me then just says next time tell me first and send the money and I will get your family in no problem. 

You all put the IO in the "bad category". But what makes you so sure the OP is telling you the truth?I very much doubt any official would be so stupid to make such a dubious offer. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kasane said:

There are laws. And there are IO's. The IO's has discretion and his decision is final.

IOs don't have legal "discretion" in Thailand beyond specific reasons for denial.  But, they do ignore the law at some entry points.  Even so, the only thing abused was the visitor who is denied-entry for a false-reason by an IO who was not following the law.

Me thinks criminal visitors go in and out of the country frequently. Your opinion maybe different. Thats ok.

I would suppose they do - but has nothing to do with tourists being "here too long before." 

I hope they catch the criminals - a safe Thailand is best for everyone.

Exchanging LINE contact is more dangerous for the IO than on the spot payment. 

Less so, if he uses a burner phone not registered to him - and we can assume a 3rd party receives the loot.  If arrested with the phone on him, then yes - but who is going to arrest him, provided he is sharing the loot within the system, like agent-money, school-money, etc?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 4:47 PM, worgeordie said:

Ok, just send him $150 ,I am sure everything will be OK...........

regards worgeordie

A bit like the chainmail letters. 

Put your name on, forward to your friends,  including a $20 note.

Within 2 months you will receive....

These guys get $150 and $150 and $150... 

And you never know if it's your back hander or not, that facilitates the smooth process. 

Never once in 10 years have I been challenged. 

Or asked about the frequency of the visits.

(I was in and out up to 8 times one year)

Or asked if I had return flights. 

Where I was staying. 

Or 20,000 baht on me.

The only comment ever has been the name on the retirement extension stamp from Jomtien.

One airport official said, "oh he sign your stamp,  he very good man". lol.