I'm on a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement and will travel soon to the UK

Whilst in the UK I plan to renew my passport (which is full and within the 9 month renewal window)

When returning to Thailand I'll have my Extension in my old passport and wondered what will happen at Immigration; entry stamp in new or old passport; will I be given 30 days or the usual stamp till expiry of the Extension? Will it cause a problem?

My Extension expires at the end of the year so plan to go to CW shortly after my return to Thailand and renew my Extension of stay. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

When you apply for new passport request a covering letter stating new passport issued, on arrival show both passports, you then go to your local immigration office for them to transfer extension of stay to new passport (free service) 

• Like 1

Do you have a re-entry permit?

I believe you will be stamped in on your new passport, whether 30 days or until  the end of your extension depends of whether you have a re-entry permit.

Enter the re-entry permit number on the TM6 where it asks for visa number and present both passports.

If no permit, extension is cancelled. If you have one, you can then go to immigration and have the other stamps (including Extension) transferred to your new passport. 

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Do you have a re-entry permit?

I believe you will be stamped in on your new passport, whether 30 days or until  the end of your extension depends of whether you have a re-entry permit.

Yes, I have a multi-entry re-entry permit.

22 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

Yes, I have a multi-entry re-entry permit.

You will show both passports on entry to the country to use your re-entry permit in your old one.

You may have to show it as well when checking in for your flight if they ask to see a return onward ticket.

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I believe that can be transferred too but I have never actually done it. 

If you got the re-entry permit at the same office where you got your extension they will transfer it along with the other stamps.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

which is full and within the 9 month renewal window)

You can renew passport anytime. If you are referring to the old 'extra 9 months', that stopped some time ago. You will get 10 years from date of issue.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 9:15 AM, pontious said:

You can renew passport anytime. If you are referring to the old 'extra 9 months', that stopped some time ago. You will get 10 years from date of issue.

I wasn't aware this had stopped but Googling the issue confirms a sneaky change in policy ????

• Like 1