Re entry to Thailand with new Tourist Visa - No More Issues/Questions?

Hi,

Been for my new visa today.  Back tomorrow to pick up passport.  Providing all is ok and I fly back into Krabi, when I get to immigration am I likely to be asked for anything else (i.e proof of funds etc) or will they just check passport and stamp me in?  

Depends on your history. If they do question what you’re doing in the country they might ask to see 20K cash/travellers cheques, hotel booking or invitation letter from who you stay with, onward flight.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SamuiAddict said:

If I'm Kuala Lumpur now, do you know if its possible to buy baht here?  Back in the UK its hard to get baht on short notice from currency exchanges - a lot have to order it for you

It doesn’t need to be baht. Get USD if you can’t get THB.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, elviajero said:

It doesn’t need to be baht. Get USD if you can’t get THB.

If you need to buy Baht with USD, UKP, Euro etc, you'll get a better rate buying  in Thailand than abroad anyway. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. 

Good Luck.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It has to be cash or travellers checks.

No ,I have 20,000 Baht in a Thaii Bank . Before I leave T,Land my Pass Book i s updated  and a letter from the Bank confirming it. I also in Thai have on the letter.Money can not be taken out of the account outside Thailand.. Never had problem at border.

8 minutes ago, Percy P said:

No ,I have 20,000 Baht in a Thaii Bank . Before I leave T,Land my Pass Book i s updated  and a letter from the Bank confirming it. I also in Thai have on the letter.Money can not be taken out of the account outside Thailand.. Never had problem at border.

Seems like a lot of hassle to go through just in case an immigration guy asks to see £500.

I would have thought it much easier to carry the equivalent in travellers cheques if you don't

want to carry cash or are worried you might blow it.

As far as I know, travellers cheques have no expiry date, so you can take them with you every

time you go through immigration, it must be a lot easier than going to a bank for a letter every 

time you travel.

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I believe you need to show cash or travelers cheques. There have been cases where people were not even allowed to go to an ATM to get cash. You were fortunate. Showing them you have a Thai Bank account while claiming to be a tourist will irritate them. 

Might be sensible to take the 20K Baht out of the bank, carry it with you, then when you return to Thailand, it's yours to spend or return to the bank. PITA, but would cover requirements. Cash is obviously more risky but no fees unlike with TCs. Your call. 

UPDATE: Apologies....you're already outside Thailand, aren't you?  Just re-read your OP but I'll leave this post intact as it might help others :wai:

Edited by VBF
Add information
  • Like 2

I've now got about 3000 myr cash on me.  I was going to change it to the Baht at the Travelex in KL airport.  Last night I was getting 20k baht for about 2650 myr.  Today its gone upto 2848 myr.

Should I just get it changed and have done with it or bring the Myr back to Thai and change it there - will I get more for my money or will it be difference of pocket change?

Thanks - again! haha

1 hour ago, SamuiAddict said:

I've now got about 3000 myr cash on me.  I was going to change it to the Baht at the Travelex in KL airport.  Last night I was getting 20k baht for about 2650 myr.  Today its gone upto 2848 myr.

Should I just get it changed and have done with it or bring the Myr back to Thai and change it there - will I get more for my money or will it be difference of pocket change?

Thanks - again! haha

I recommend you change your MYR to THB in Thailand. Places like SuperRich and Vasu in Bangkok will give you a better rate. The MYR are fine to meet the requirement at Thai immigration if necessary.

EDIT: SuperRich (green) has an exchange booth at Suvarnabhumi. This gives a worse rate than the main branch, but still better than you could get in Kuala Lumpur.

Edited by BritTim

2 hours ago, SamuiAddict said:

Managed to get my 20k baht and had copies of everything I needed etc. Landed in Krabi..... 

10 minutes later I'm successfuly through immigration and back on Thai soil without any issue. No questions, no murmurings, nothing. 

Thanks for everyones help on this one!  I need a beer now. 

????????????????????????????????