North Korea accuses U.S. of 'evil ambition,' says use of strength not a U.S. monopoly

webfact

North Korea accuses U.S. of 'evil ambition,' says use of strength not a U.S. monopoly

By David Brunnstrom

2019-05-29T215951Z_2_LYNXNPEF4S1I2_RTROPTP_3_NORTHKOREA-USA.JPG

North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump talk in the garden of the Metropole hotel during the second North Korea-U.S. summit in Hanoi, Vietnam February 28, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis/Files

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - North Korea on Wednesday accused the United States of showing bad faith in negotiations by conducting nuclear and missile tests and military drills as part of an "evil ambition" to conquer North Korea by force, even while advocating dialogue.

In the latest uptick in angry rhetoric from Pyongyang after a failed summit with the United States in February, a North Korean Foreign Ministry statement repeated complaints about an ongoing U.S. sanctions campaign, including the seizure of one of the country's biggest cargo ships, and warned that "use of strength is not at all a monopoly of the United States."

The statement, attributed to the Policy Research Director of the ministry's Institute for American Studies and carried by official media, noted that the United States had conducted a subcritical nuclear test on Feb. 13, just days before a second summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

"The U.S. has thus showcased its ulterior intention that it seeks a strength-based solution of the issues, though outwardly it advocates for dialogue," the statement said.

It aimed fresh attacks at John Bolton, Trump's national security adviser, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, accusing them and other high-ranking U.S. officials of having "insulted the dignity of our supreme leadership and spitted out abusive language" by calling North Korea a "rogue regime."

It also accused the U.S. officials of a "hostile scheme to stifle us by force" by warning that Washington would "change its path" if North Korea did not give up its nuclear weapons.

The statement condemned recent U.S.-South Korean military exercises and U.S. missile defence drills and test launches of intercontinental and submarine-launched ballistic missiles.

It also complained of increasing reconnaissance flights over North Korea and accused Washington of "manoeuvres" to deploy sophisticated landing craft in Japan and nuclear-capable submarine-launched ballistic missiles around the Korean Peninsula.

"All the above clearly shows that the June 12 ... Joint Statement is not within the consideration of the United States and there is no change at all in the American evil ambition to conquer (North Korea) by force," it said, referring to a commitment by Trump and Kim at a first summit last year to establish a new era of relations.

"The U.S. should better bear in mind that its hostile acts will only bring about the result of adding tension to the already unstable Korean Peninsula and inviting adverse current. Use of strength is not at all a monopoly of the United States," the statement said.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. State Department said Washington remained committed to the goals agreed by Trump and Kim "of transformed U.S.-North Korean relations, building lasting peace, and complete denuclearisation."

"The U.S. remains ready to engage in constructive discussions," she said.

The North Korean statement comes days after Trump, who says he is keen to pursue talks with Kim even while maintaining a hardline sanctions policy, sought to play down North Korea's first missile tests since 2017 conducted earlier in May.

Trump said they had involved only short-range weapons and North Korea had stuck to a freeze in nuclear and ICBM tests. He appeared to contradict Bolton, who had said there was "no doubt" the North Korean launches had violated U.N. Security Council resolutions.

(Reporting by David Brunnstrom in Washington; Editing by James Dalgleish)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-30

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

This N. Korea business will not end until someone will put an end the Jong Un dynasty once and for all, no amount of wining, dining and world recognitions will stop them from doing what they have been doing for ages using threats and intimidation waiving their arsenal of nukes...

All NK has to do is fire one shot into Seoul and they are finished forever. It's time to put energy into more productive endeavors if the leadership of NOKO continues to act like they have impaired judgement. NOKO is of no consequence. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Who has been menacing the world by firing rockets in every direction?

Donald Trump disagrees with you.

Trump brushes off North Korea's launch of 'some small weapons'

Donald Trump has dismissed concerns about North Korea’s recent missile tests, calling them “small weapons”, a day after his national security adviser said there was no doubt the launches violated UN security council resolutions.

The US president tweeted on Sunday: “North Korea fired off some small weapons, which disturbed some of my people, and others, but not me. I have confidence that Chairman Kim will keep his promise to me”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/26/trump-brushes-off-north-koreas-launch-of-some-small-weapons

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal, again. Please use normal font size when posting.

I wonder if Donald made little Kim sign a nda before they had their tryst lol on a deadly serious side sure if n Korea fires on seol and or japan and or Guam or anywhere else they can reach the death toll will number in the millions personally I don’t want my or anyone’s loved ones dying of burns or radiation sickness that’s why all administrations have been carefull 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What if Trump was to develop loads of resort hotels exclusively for Chinese tourists all along the picturesque North Korean coast.

The Chinese and North Koreans both live happily under fascist repressive Communist governments, so they will feel at home there.

Trump and NOKO will make loads of cash and NOKO wont risk a war with the US for fear of nuke'ing  the Chinese tourists.

Win, win! There might be less Chinese tourists coming to Thailand. Double Whammy!

Edited by Alan Michael
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Seems the sanctions are starting to hurt. Ignore anything they say and let them rot.

Seems that the love affair has soured. Can't even say the honeymoon is over because the affair never got that far.

But Donald says Kim is smart (agreed, at least smarter than Donald is himself).

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

“North Korea fired off some small weapons, which disturbed some of my people, and others, but not me. I have confidence that Chairman Kim will keep his promise to me”.

Sounds too much like .......

"The cheque is in the mail"

or

"Promise, I won't xxxx in your mouth".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

It aimed fresh attacks at John Bolton, Trump's national security adviser, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, accusing them and other high-ranking U.S. officials of having "insulted the dignity of our supreme leadership and spitted out abusive language"

Wait for it.

Kim will say next that Bolton and Pompeo have low IQ's like Biden.

Kim knows a "wedgy" when he sees one.

5 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Who has been menacing the world by firing rockets in every direction?

Get on-board the economic gravy train and leave your propensity for mischief.  Your country and its people need a merciful leader...

Hardly menacing the world. More a bit of muscle flexing to deter the biggest bully on the global block.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, car720 said:

Trump is flirting with Taiwan on military issues and the same with Japan.  The Chinese will not want to be encircled so they will egg on little Kimmy.  The US have always been war mongers but without their military might the world may well be a different place.

agree, rocket man is being prodded by daddy china..

6 hours ago, neeray said:

Seems that the love affair has soured. Can't even say the honeymoon is over because the affair never got that far.

But Donald says Kim is smart (agreed, at least smarter than Donald is himself).

Not on Trump's side.