800K 5 Months 400K Indefinitely In Bank For Ext To Stay Based In Retirement

1 minute ago, Toany said:

It is a back up for the government. When you go broke because of ill health. You will have 400,000฿ to go to your hospital bill before they kick you out of the country

Wonder what they have foreseen for the ones who don't need nothing in a Thai bank. 

8 minutes ago, Toany said:

It is a back up for the government. When you go broke because of ill health. You will have 400,000฿ to go to your hospital bill before they kick you out of the country

In Thailand goal posts have wheels

God forbid 400k won’t make you bionic, took $6,000,000 to repair Steve Austin and that was 46yrs ago... best to leave before then lol

7 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Wonder what they have foreseen for the ones who don't need nothing in a Thai bank. 

Exactly. People on full income method don't require any particular bank balance. If using an embassy letter the banked requirement is zero. If forced to do monthly 65K import, you are free to spend it all immediately. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

You do have to question the coincidence of the proposal to have health insurance (400K) for long stay Non 0-A Visa applicants, which are based on retirement, over 50 and the requirement for expats on extensions based on retirement, over 50, to keep 400K locked in a Thai bank.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Exactly. People on full income method don't require any particular bank balance. If using an embassy letter the banked requirement is zero. If forced to import, you are free to spend it all immediately. 

No money to pay the medical bill either...

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

You do have to question the coincidence of the proposal to have health insurance (400K) for long stay Non 0-A Visa applicants, which are based on retirement, over 50 and the requirement for expats on extensions based on retirement, over 50, to keep 400K locked in a Thai bank.

But it's not. People using income method require no bank balance. Thus that theory doesn't add up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The best solution would be to give long stayers 5 plus yrs a medical card for government hospitals at a fare price a year, not these mickey mouse numbers these insurance companies are dreaming up.. the private hospitals use the government surgeons etc. I heard glowing reports on government hospitals.

Freeing up the 800k would give a welcome boost to the economy as well.

5000 baht a year x number expats = more than enough money... lets face it hospital is only used as a last resort....... also keeping the money inside the thai government hospitals not outside insurance companies.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But it's not. People using income method require no bank balance. Thus that theory doesn't add up. 

It's certainly unjust in my opinion, but the only person who could answer the logic behind the reason is no longer making decisions. He also announced further changes to marriage extension, making them easier to obtain, but again we'll never know if he planned to change any financials in that respect.

1 minute ago, Graviton said:

The best solution would be to give long stayers 5 plus yrs a medical card for government hospitals at a fare price a year, not these mickey mouse numbers these insurance companies are dreaming up.. the private hospitals use the government surgeons etc. I heard glowing reports on government hospitals.

Freeing up the 800k would give a welcome boost to the economy as well.

5000 baht a year x number expats = more than enough money... lets face it hospital is only used as a last resort....... also keeping the money inside the thai government hospitals not outside insurance companies.

Absolutely agree, but your applying logic to your reasoning.

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

I finally managed to open a Bangkok bank account and my first test transfer has the magical FTT prefix. I will have to use the 800k this year but hope from 2020 i can move to the 65k monthly  income method.

Stay with the 800k. Much simpler.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Absolutely agree, but your applying logic to your reasoning.

And heres some math.........

5000 baht x 1,000,000 say expats

=5,000,000,000 baht a year

proposed 100 baht per visitor to thailand

= 3,700,000,000

GT 8.7 billion baht.

unpaid bills 306,000,000 baht plus O-A are not in this as mandatory health.

1 hour ago, Graviton said:

I thought the Only case of a foreigner having to fill in a TM 30 was if he owned a condo?

Due to the Bangkok bombing — and more foreigners staying in private property — the powers that be decided they needed to keep better tabs on us and ordered offices to increase enforcement of the address reporting laws that have been in place for 40 years.

The law says that the owner, house-master, or possessor of the property is/are responsible for that report. IMO it was written (before the days of foreign property ownership) assuming the person reporting was not the foreigner being reported — but a third party.

Some offices are enforcing the TM.30 more officiously than others, but the bottom line is that it’s nothing more than a bureaucratic arse covering. 

The law does not specify that the person  reporting — be it the owner, house-master, or possessor — cannot be the foreigner themselves so some offices will accept the report from the foreigner; making it a completely pointless exercise.

As with much immigration procedure the bosses at the individual offices are procedurally enforcing the law differently. Some don’t seem to care who fills out the TM.30 as long as one is on file to satisfy the ‘powers that be’. Others insist it’s just the owner.

If the foreigner is the owner and living living in the property they are the only person available to make the report.

Probably – because there has to my knowledge not be given any official explanation – to stop visa-agents, and to make sure the retired person, without a documented monthly retirement pension income, has equivalent in cash to a 400,000 baht heath insurance to cover eventually public hospital bills...????

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Due to the Bangkok bombing — and more foreigners staying in private property — the powers that be decided they needed to keep better tabs on us and ordered offices to increase enforcement of the address reporting laws that have been in place for 40 years.

The law says that the owner, house-master, or possessor of the property is/are responsible for that report. IMO it was written (before the days of foreign property ownership) assuming the person reporting was not the foreigner being reported — but a third party.

Some offices are enforcing the TM.30 more officiously than others, but the bottom line is that it’s nothing more than a bureaucratic arse covering. 

The law does not specify that the person  reporting — be it the owner, house-master, or possessor — cannot be the foreigner themselves so some offices will accept the report from the foreigner; making it a completely pointless exercise.

As with much immigration procedure the bosses at the individual offices are procedurally enforcing the law differently. Some don’t seem to care who fills out the TM.30 as long as one is on file to satisfy the ‘powers that be’. Others insist it’s just the owner.

If the foreigner is the owner and living living in the property they are the only person available to make the report.

The fine for not reporting is the owner not the renter.?

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Probably – because there has to my knowledge not be given any official explanation – to stop visa-agents, and to make sure the retired person, without a documented monthly retirement pension income, has equivalent in cash to a 400,000 baht heath insurance to cover eventually public hospital bills...????

So playing the devils advocate I do it on monthly income I am sick have to go hospital how is my bill paid?

14 minutes ago, Graviton said:

And heres some math.........

5000 baht x 1,000,000 say expats

=5,000,000,000 baht a year

proposed 100 baht per visitor to thailand

= 3,700,000,000

GT 8.7 billion baht.

unpaid bills 306,000,000 baht plus O-A are not in this as mandatory health.

Logic, reasoning, rationality and maths, not the strongest attributes of Thais unfortunately.

I think CW is fining the foreigner when they go to get an extention of stay.

In Thailand goal posts have wheels

17 minutes ago, Graviton said:

Depends on the office.

If the renter is considered the possessor of the property, which they are at some offices; then either the owner or renter can report, and either the owner or renter can be fined if neither make the report.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Depends on the office.

If the renter is considered the possessor of the property, which they are at some offices; then either the owner or renter can report, and either the owner or renter can be fined if neither make the report.

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-the-tm-30-form-all-you-need-to-know-about-it-and-why-it-matters-to-you-p172

49 minutes ago, Graviton said:

I am not doubting what you say, but if the law states the responsibility is the owner.

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-the-tm-30-form-all-you-need-to-know-about-it-and-why-it-matters-to-you-p172

It doesn't state that. It states that the owner OR house-master OR possessor are responsible to report. That could be one person or three. As I've written, some offices insist that it is made by the owner.

Immigration Act

Section 38 The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. [snip].

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It doesn't state that. It states that the owner OR house-master OR possessor are responsible to report. That could be one person or three. As I've written, some offices insist that it is made by the owner.

Immigration Act

Section 38 The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. [snip].

tm30

11 minutes ago, Graviton said:

tm30

The TM.30 is the form used to report a foreigners stay (Section 38).

Nice video, but again it's office specific.

All that you are posting is pretty much backing up everything I've written. And specifically that the enforcement was ramped up due to "national security" following the bombing. It hasn't been done to make life harder for expats or force them into using agents, which was the claim that started this conversation.