½ tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

2 tsp fast-action dried yeast

300ml warm milk

300ml warm water

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

4 crumpet rings (see below)

Method

1. Place the flour and salt into a large bowl and stir in the sugar and yeast making a well in the centre. Pour in the warm milk and water and mix to give quite a thick batter. Beat well until completely combined and cover with cling film or a kitchen cloth.

2. Leave in a warm place to rise for about 45 min until it's a light, spongy texture. Then stir well to knock out any air and pour into a large jug.

3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a very low heat with a ½ tablespoon the oil. With kitchen tissue spread the oil over the complete base of the pan. (You only need a thin film of oil, remove excess if necessary)

4. Grease the crumpet rings in the same manner and place in the pan and leave to heat up for a couple of minutes. It is important to use low heat as the crumpets are quite thick and have to be cooked for a relatively long time. If cooked to hot they will burn on the underside and too soft / wet in the middle.

5. Pour in the mixture to fill the rings about 2/3rds full; leave to cook and set for 6 - 7 minutes. Note:- first tiny bubbles will appear on the surface and then, suddenly, they will burst, leaving the traditional holes.

6. When batter is set remove the rings and turn over the crumpets to cook for a further minute or two on the other side. Sit the first batch of crumpets on a wire rack while continuing to cook the remaining mixture.

Crumpet Rings

If you don't own any crumpet rings, you can use cans 1½ inches high and 3 inches wide with the tops and bottoms removed. A 7 oz. tuna can works perfectly. You can also use egg rings or 3in plain pastry cutters.

Serve the crumpets while still warm, generously buttered. If you are making crumpets in advance, then reheat them by toasting lightly on both sides before serving. The crumpets freeze well for 3 months, or keep them for upto 4 days in an airtight container.

post-11711-1173567872.gif Cook slow

post-11711-1173567902.gif Ready to turn

post-11711-1173567994.jpg Enjoy

Granma used to make pancakes that look like Cheek's crumpets but thinner; just poured a circular spoonful of the batter on top of the food-fired stove griddle, wait for the bubbles to pop up and then flip. Lots of butter Endure and chokecherry syrup. Big mug of perc coffee and hot milk. And off to the fields to bail hay.

Would quit smoking while dining, Bronco!

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Can you do pyclets too?

PIKELETS / PYCLETS

These are similar to Crumpets but are made with same batter but with an egg added and cooked without rings. A great tea-time treat for for the people that live in Middle England, again seved with butter and jam etc.

Hope you enjoy.

Granma used to make pancakes that look like Cheek's crumpets but thinner; just poured a circular spoonful of the batter on top of the food-fired stove griddle, wait for the bubbles to pop up and then flip. Lots of butter Endure and chokecherry syrup. Big mug of perc coffee and hot milk. And off to the fields to bail hay.

Would quit smoking while dining, Bronco!

true is difficult to smoke and eat, but have seen people doing it, off topic solly :o

What's chokecherry syrup? We tend not to do a lot of sweetie things here in the UK. We seem to be a savoury nation.

Cheeky, not trying to derail your thread but must add this for Endure and all non-prairie people.

Chokecherries are common in the dry prairies (eg, southern Alberta, Saskatchewan, Montana); kind of a sour-tasting berry used to make jellies, syrup and wine. Not sweet but tastes soooo good. Gotta sneak jars up from Aunty's root cellar when I visit.

First Nations people also used em in in soups, stews and pemmican. Yeah, pemmican.

(Also good is gooseberry jelly; tangy mak mak.)

Chokecherry pic:

post-38209-1173575704.jpg

Yes yes yes yes yes. Made them this morning using half the quantities in case girls didn't like them. As we don't have any rings and I was unwilling to open and drain 4 cans of tuna, I just made four big ones. We have a tiny frying pan that I usually use for eggs, just made it in there. Smothered in Anchor salted butter. Heaven.

Great improv, Leisurely, with the small fry pan. And why four?

Now we have another recycle use for tuna tins besides ashtrays. See smokers care about the environment, Bronco.

next step would be to smoke in a balloon to trap the second hand smoke Jet :o

and cheese. Don't forget that crumpets were made to have a slab of cheese on them mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm dribbling now, I'll have to go and make some more.

As for the ashtrays, I've never used a can for that purpose, I have proper ones but only in the garden, I don't smoke in my house due to children. ONe of my neighbours asked me if I could stop as she could smell it in her flat. I told her to keep the doors closed. I am not a smoking nazi, but that was a bit much IMHO.