฿800k in the account flexibility. Problem with inbound payment left me +/-60k short for 2 weeks. Apparently i am an overstayer now and have an invalid visa.

Hello, 

Seems that self inflicted dramas come in pairs when your dealing with visas and so forth here and the sage and wonderful uses of this forum can give me answers based on experience and not speculation. I should spend more time on this site for sure. 

I am really worried about the flexibility of the ฿800k in the bank 2 months before application of a Non Imm OA renewal. 

Over the past 9 months I have transfered ฿4.5 million into my bank in Thailand. 

I have ฿ overseas and usually send ฿ 1.5 at a time. I am also overseas a lot and I don't always check my Thailand accounts. 

I have also deposited about ฿1 million in cash. As a frequent traveller, I often carry $10k USD into Thailand and convert that into ฿ at superrich. Getting a better rate than the banks will ever give. 

In the last 9 months I have maintained more than the ฿800,000 minimum, except for a brief 2 week period, two weeks ago when my overseas bank decided to stop the automatic 3 month transfer, without informing me, due to them wanting me to go through security and confirm my address details and confirm that I was not holding US Treasury Bonds. Rather bizarre. 

My OA is up for renewal on Tuesday. In my bank book, that I updated yesterday, you can see that, for a two week period at the begining of May, that my account dipped below the ฿800 threshold and spend 11 days with ฿740,000 thanks to the automatic debiting of my credit card and the non arrival of the ฿1.5 million standing order. 

The account is rectified now, there is more than ฿2 million in the account. 

My whole family is here on thier own visas, not related to mine. So I am not so worried about that side. 

I am very concerned that I may get my renewal rejected on Tuesday due to the ฿60k briefly below the ฿800k requirements, 2 months before application. 

Of course, this problem may not be such a big deal, but in my mind, I am majorly worried, didn't sleep last night.

I mentioned this predicament to my expat neighbour yesterday, he told me that my visa was invalidated the moment that my bank account dropped to ฿740 and that I am now an overstayer and that when I turn up at immigration on Tuesday they may arrest and deport me. I believe he is speculating, that he does not really have this knowledge, but then, you never know. 

If they don't reject it, then I shall put ฿1 million into a 1 year fixed deposit and be done with it. 

I am worried as heck, so anyone that can advise me, give me some hope, let me sleep for a few days, then I will be in your debt forever. 

Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Ask someone who knows but I think your OA is good for 2 years (with one border run).  Make a border run quick.

I am a regular traveller, have business interests overseas still and travel at least twice a month. I last entered 1 week ago, my OA is the type gained here. It is not valid for 2 years. Maybe 15 months, I am at month 14. Making a border run does not really answer the questions that I have. But thanks anyway. 

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Ask someone who knows but I think your OA is good for 2 years (with one border run).  Make a border run quick.

I am sure he is inorectly calling a extension of stay based upon retirement a OA visa and does not have a valid one.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure he is inorectly calling a extension of stay based upon retirement a OA visa and does not have a valid one.

My OA was originally gained here in Thailand. My multiple re-entry gained here at the same time. Ubonjoe, you are correct, I have the extension of stay based on retirement. Sorry to confuse the situation by calling it a visa. It is an extension of stay. 

You will not be able to apply for your extension due to the 800k baht not being in the bank for 2 months. A one day  drop below 800k is enough to cause a application not to be accepted so your application will certainly not be accepted.

You are not on an overstay. Not having the money in the bank for the 2 months is does not cause your current extension to be canceled. You can stay until it ends.

You only option is to leave the country to get a single entry non-o visa and then do an application for a extension of stay during the last 30 days of that entry. Or you could do a border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry or get a single entry tourist visa and then apply a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration (requirements here https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80).

You stated your family has their own visas. I assume you mean they have their own extensions that are not based upon yours for being members of your family (aka dependent extensions). 

13 minutes ago, troniccrypt said:

My OA was originally gained here in Thailand.

A OA visa cannot be applied for or issued here in the country. You apparently were issued an extension of a non-o visa  entry at immigration.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not be able to apply for your extension due to the 800k baht not being in the bank for 2 months. A one day  drop below 800k is enough to cause a application not to be accepted so your application will certainly not be accepted.

You are not on an overstay. Not having the money in the bank for the 2 months is does not cause your current extension to be canceled. You can stay until it ends.

You only option is to leave the country to get a single entry non-o visa and then do an application for a extension of stay during the last 30 days of that entry. Or you could do a border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry or get a single entry tourist visa and then apply a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration (requirements here https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80).

You stated your family has their own visas. I assume you mean they have their own extensions that are not based upon yours for being members of your family (aka dependent extensions). 

A OA visa cannot be applied for or issued here in the country. You apparently were issued an extension of a non-o visa  entry at immigration.

Thanks for the information.

I am suddenly not that worried. 

I gained the OA and the permission to stay in Thailand. To be honest, I never set out to get the OA but the agent seemed to think that is what I wanted. 

My family got the original visas overseas and then gained the extensions once they arrived. These are official and backed by school and employment. 

The school has offered my the O visa letter and I can also get the spouse visa letter. I can make application overseas with these. 

Also, If I understand correctly what you say, I won't be in the country when my re-entry permit expires. So I can return on the 30 day visitor visa. Then once here I can apply for the extension based on the children's Ed or Wife's B status. Is that correct. 

Reliefed that I am still legal here. Really don't care about this agent OA nonsense. Just been a headache. 

Thanks guys. 

If applying based on your spouse's Non-B based on family, you would not need the 800K Baht to qualify.  You could get this beginning in the last 30 days of your current permitted-stay.  I don't think you (or your spouse) need to show any money in this case, but someone will correct me if I am wrong.

25 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If applying based on your spouse's Non-B based on family, you would not need the 800K Baht to qualify.  You could get this beginning in the last 30 days of your current permitted-stay.  I don't think you (or your spouse) need to show any money in this case, but someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Wow. That is a game changer. This 'local agent OA' is certainly been a lot of nonsense. It really sounds to me that my best option is to just let the current extension expire, I will be overseas for a month after that anyway, during that time she will have renewed her extension. Her employer has said no problem to add me as a spouse. The earliest she can do the extension is 2 weeks after my extension expires. So can I just come back in on a 30 day visitor and get added to hers? And are there any required documents that I need to bring back with me, such as a proof of no criminal record/medical certificate? 

Thanks for the info 

36 minutes ago, troniccrypt said:

I gained the OA and the permission to stay in Thailand. To be honest, I never set out to get the OA but the agent seemed to think that is what I wanted. 

You got a non immigrant visa (category O) based upon qualifying for a extension of stay based upon retirement and then applied for the extension. That is not a OA visa that can only be applied for at a embassy in your home country or country of legal residence.

40 minutes ago, troniccrypt said:

My family got the original visas overseas and then gained the extensions once they arrived. These are official and backed by school and employment. 

The school has offered my the O visa letter and I can also get the spouse visa letter. I can make application overseas with these. 

You could apply for a extension based upon being a member of your wife's family based upon her extension of stay. You could  change to that extension without leaving the country. You will need a copy your legalized marriage certificate to do the application.

If your child is attending school and is on an extension of stay for that reason you could apply for an extension for being their parent. You would need 500k baht in the bank for 90 days to do the application.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You got a non immigrant visa (category O) based upon qualifying for a extension of stay based upon retirement and then applied for the extension. That is not a OA visa that can only be applied for at a embassy in your home country or country of legal residence.

Yes. To be honest, I really made a mistake in the begining. I spoke to the wrong agent who over sold me. I have always been uncomfortable with it. 

You could apply for a extension based upon being a member of your wife's family based upon her extension of stay. You could  change to that extension without leaving the country. You will need a copy your legalized marriage certificate to do the application.

This seems the most logical. We have the marriage certificate, legalised and notorised by the Thai Embassy. Same for the birth certificates. 

My wife's extension does not get renewed until 2 weeks after the expiry of mine. It is guaranteed to be extended. Her work contract will be renewed for two years. Not sure if this means that she will get a 2 year extension. 

If I go to immigration on Tuesday with my wife, her passport, the marriage certicate and apply for the extension based on her extension, will they give me an extension valid until the expiry of her current extension or will they give me a longer extension? Her expiry is actually October the 3rd.

Or am I better to leave it, let mine expire, return on a visitor 30 day and do the extension based on hers once she has renewed? 

Ideally, I would prefer an extension that accurately reflects my situation. This local agent OA really is a rubbish thing.

If your child is attending school and is on an extension of stay for that reason you could apply for an extension for being their parent. You would need 500k baht in the bank for 90 days to do the application.

I can do this but I need to do this overseas which is a bit more complicated. So I would prefer not to if I can use my wife's. 

I read through all the posts and responses you make Joe. You really know your stuff. Thanks for your service to all us foolish people that don't know how to navigate such things. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, troniccrypt said:

Wow. That is a game changer. This 'local agent OA' is certainly been a lot of nonsense. It really sounds to me that my best option is to just let the current extension expire, I will be overseas for a month after that anyway, during that time she will have renewed her extension.

Be aware, if you enter as a "tourist ' - without a Non-O type Visa - you will have to first convert this to a Non-O type entry at a local office, which grants 90-days permitted-stay, then you would apply for the 1-year extension in the last 30-days of that Non-O 90-days.  So, it's 2 steps instead of one.

If you extended from a Non-imm stay (such as you have now), you avoid the first step.

Criminal and Medical are not required for either of these steps, at any office that I have seen reported (what is needed varies by immigration-office).

16 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Be aware, if you enter as a "tourist ' - without a Non-O type Visa - you will have to first convert this to a Non-O type entry at a local office, which grants 90-days permitted-stay, then you would apply for the 1-year extension in the last 30-days of that Non-O 90-days.  So, it's 2 steps instead of one.

If you extended from a Non-imm stay (such as you have now), you avoid the first step.

Criminal and Medical are not required for either of these steps, at any office that I have seen reported (what is needed varies by immigration-office).

Thanks Jack. That makes sense to me. 

One of the issues that we have is that 30 day window. We have travel booked that makes it impossible. My only windows is to do it 45 days before the expiry, which is on Tuesday or at a stretch 44 days before my expiry on Wednesday. Then I am travelling across Asia and then Europe on business. My wife and Children will also be out the country. 

It seems that getting on my wife's extension/permission is the way forward for sure and I am going to have to try and do this on Tuesday. 

Interestingly, I spoke to a lawyer a couple of days ago. Explained everything as I have here and they just tutted and gave me no advice that works other than dig deep in my pocket. 

34 minutes ago, troniccrypt said:

If I go to immigration on Tuesday with my wife, her passport, the marriage certicate and apply for the extension based on her extension, will they give me an extension valid until the expiry of her current extension or will they give me a longer extension? Her expiry is actually October the 3rd.

Your extension would only be issued until the date hers expires which apparently is the 3rd of October.

Then you would have to apply for another one.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your extension would only be issued until the date hers expires which apparently is the 3rd of October.

Then you would have to apply for another one.

For the piece of mind I can absolutely live with that. In fact, that would be a major improvement. However, can this only be done in the last 30 days? Can I do this with 45 or 44 days remaining which is the acceptable time for for the renewal of my current status, which is no longer a valid option due to the dip in funds. 

One final question, with an extension based on my wife's extension, am I, at some point able to convert to Non Imm B status with the work permit? I was told it almost impossible under my current status. 

12 minutes ago, troniccrypt said:

Can I do this with 45 or 44 days remaining which is the acceptable time for for the renewal of my current status, which is no longer a valid option due to the dip in funds. 

You should be able to do it that early but that will depend upon your local offices policy.

How long is your planned trip out of the country? It could be done on the last day of your current extension if needed.

Your re-entry permit is valid until that day.

13 minutes ago, troniccrypt said:

One final question, with an extension based on my wife's extension, am I, at some point able to convert to Non Imm B status with the work permit? I was told it almost impossible under my current status. 

The problem is that the work permit office would not accept an application with that type of extension or the original visa you used for entry to the country.

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You should be able to do it that early but that will depend upon your local offices policy.

How long is your planned trip out of the country? It could be done on the last day of your current extension if needed.

The problem is that the work permit office would not accept an application with that type of extension or the original visa you used for entry to the country.

Thank you Joe. I can make arrangements around that. Should have posted here first before I went off on a wild goose chase. 

On 6/1/2019 at 10:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

Hi ubonjoe,

Is it the case that work permit office would not accept application from person thus :

1_

1st

tourist visa from Laos

2nd

conversion of that tourist visa to non-immigrant visa type O [ given for reason of having Thai child ] ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2_

1_ [ above ] followed by extension on the non-immigrant visa type O ?

20 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

1st

tourist visa from Laos

2nd

conversion of that tourist visa to non-immigrant visa type O [ given for reason of having Thai child ] ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2_

1_ [ above ] followed by extension on the non-immigrant visa type O ?

1/2  Apply for a a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai instead of a tourist visa.

No need to do the conversion.

The work permit could be applied for while on the non-o visa

Then apply for the extension of staying based upon being the legal parent of a Thai.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1/2  Apply for a a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai instead of a tourist visa.

No need to do the conversion.

The work permit could be applied for while on the non-o visa

Then apply for the extension of staying based upon being the legal parent of a Thai.

X_

If apply at Savanakhet, Laos for that non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai,- what must the applicant bring to the Consulate ?

Y_

My situation now ;

I obtained Tourist Visa at Savanakhet a month ago.

I wish to convert -- whilst in Thailand if possible -- to Non-O based upon being the parent of a Thai

But,- recent phone call by my woman to Immigration office of the particular province I now registered in [ known to u recently by private message ] did not gain hopeful response ;

Most senior person with responsibility of this area :

Y_1_

informed her that he is only very new to this topic, & thus far knows very little

Y_2_

thinks that the only way a foreigner can get such a transfer is if the foreigner :

Y_2_1_

has a Non-B visa instead

Y_2_2_

has over THB 1 million in a Thai bank account.

On 6/1/2019 at 7:11 AM, troniccrypt said:

Over the past 9 months I have transfered ฿4.5 million into my bank in Thailand. 

I have ฿ overseas and usually send ฿ 1.5 at a time. I am also overseas a lot and I don't always check my Thailand accounts. 

I have also deposited about ฿1 million in cash. As a frequent traveller, I often carry $10k USD into Thailand and convert that into ฿ at superrich. Getting a better rate than the banks will ever give. 

In the last 9 months I have maintained more than the ฿800,000 minimum, except for a brief 2 week period, two weeks ago when my overseas bank decided to stop the automatic 3 month transfer, without informing me, due to them wanting me to go through security and confirm my address details and confirm that I was not holding US Treasury Bonds. Rather bizarre. 

Where did it all go?

4 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

If apply at Savanakhet, Laos for that non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai,- what must the applicant bring to the Consulate ?

Your child's birth certificate and a copy of it. Copy of their house book registry.

5 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

But,- recent phone call by my woman to Immigration office of the particular province I now registered in [ known to u recently by private message ] did not gain hopeful response ;

Possibly a misunderstanding. Some offices may say they cannot do them.

Requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_78

I assume you are the legal father of your child by way of marriage or legitimization of your parenthood.

14 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Y_2_1_

has a Non-B visa instead

Not correct. That apparently was a answer about applying for a work permit.

You can apply for a work permit if you are the parent of a Thai with a non-o visa. You have to attach a copy of their birth certificate to the application.

14 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Y_2_2_

has over THB 1 million in a Thai bank account.

That seem to be referring to registered capital to register a company or partnership.The one million does not have to be in the bank.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
40 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Your child's birth certificate and a copy of it. Copy of their house book registry.

Hi ubonjoe,

a_

Proof of regular income into Thai bank account totaling THB 400,000 for immediately previous 12 months is also required ?

b_

I recently succeeded in registering the TM 30 with Thai immigration of that province as tenant of a house ;

The landlord was not able to do so.

I produced the rental contract within deadline ;

And,- this sufficed in lieu of landlord not submitting application.

However,- my kid is residing up until now at their grand parents in the locality.

To transfer my kid to house book registry of my current address I think may be very awkward ;

I think that landlord will not welcome this complication.

So,- I wonder would an application stating "my kid registered to their grandparents' home" AND "I registered to separate address" be acceptable ?

I am not legally married.

I am about to apply for Legitimisation of Parenthood.

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics

9 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

a_

Proof of regular income into Thai bank account totaling THB 400,000 is also required ?

It is 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht monthly income to apply for a visa or extension at immigration.

Not needed at the consulate in Savannakhet.

9 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

However,- my kid is residing up until now at their grand parents in the locality.

To transfer my kid to house book registry of my current address I think may be very awkward ;

I think that landlord will not welcome this complication.

You childs house book does not have to be for where you are living. No problem using the one for their grandparents house.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht monthly income to apply for a visa or extension at immigration.

Hi ubonjoe,

For the tourist visa application at Savanakhet,- it was required that applicant submit bank book or bank statement from Thai bank that one has THB 20,000 currently ;

Or so was the criterion I seem to recall.

I wonder is "THB 400,000 in Thai bank account" or "THB 40,000 monthly income into Thai bank account" required for extension of non-O visa that would have been obtained at Savanakhet ?

2 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

For the tourist visa application at Savanakhet,- it was required that applicant submit bank book or bank statement from Thai bank

That is not required to apply for a non-o visa.

All you need is what I wrote earlier plus 2000 baht to pay the fee. And of course a your passport and a copy of the photo page.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Hi ubonjoe,

Further to reviewing what u wrote,- I now find answer to my thus unnecessary subsequent question,

viz.

I wonder is "THB 400,000 in Thai bank account" or "THB 40,000 monthly income into Thai bank account" required for extension of non-O visa that would have been obtained at Savanakhet ?

Answer ;

Ref. above quote

"It is 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht monthly income to apply for a visa or extension at immigration. ..."

My plan is to :

1st

apply at that immigration office for "legitimisation of parenthood

2nd

apply at that immigration office for conversion of "tourist visa" to "non-O based on being parent of a Thai"

>>>>>>>>>>>

If 2nd is not accepted for submission as application,- I will go to Savanakhet to apply.

Many thanks ubonjoe for ur most helpful clear information.

Our Man in the Tropics

On 6/3/2019 at 4:33 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is not done at immigration. If your child is 7 years old or older it can be done at a Amphoe if not it has to be done at a family court.

Topic here about it.  How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father 

Yes ubonjoe,

I knew that which u replied as correction ;

But,- somehow I forgot, & mistakenly referred to as to be done at immigration office.

Sorry for that.

Our Man in the Tropics