Dengue fever: Thirty deaths in Thailand this year and worse still to come - Ubon sets up "war room"

Dengue fever: Thirty deaths in Thailand this year and worse still to come - Ubon sets up "war room"

Screenshot 2562-06-01 at 14.00.04.png

Thai Rath reported that there had been thirty deaths in Thailand this year from Dengue fever that is caused by mosquitoes. 

Nationwide there have been 23,622 cases from January 1st to May 27th.

Worst hit provinces were in Isaan:  Nakorn Ratchasima had 1,424 cases and Ubon Ratchathani 1,267.

Of particular note was that two people had died in one tambon (sub-district) in Ubon.

The governor of that north eastern Thai province has set up what the media called a "war room" to combat the disease. 

Worse was expected as the rainy season begins to hit Thailand. 

People have been advised to tidy up their homes, clear trash and clear away standing water. 

These practical measures can help in combating the disease by depriving mosquitoes of habitats and breeding grounds.

Source: Thairath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

People have been advised to tidy up their homes, clear trash and clear away standing water. 

Something that may be impossible to achieve;
Thai people love dirt and live in it with delectation.

I minimize my exposure by wearing long pants and long sleeve shirts when outside. One doesn't see tourists dressed like this which makes me wonder what percentage of the dengue fever cases were Westerners who are under the impression that Thailand is some kind of mosquito-free tropical paradise.

30 deaths in  20.000 people?  More people die from slipping stairs

This hysteria is thrown off constantly by medical conglomerates/companies trying to sell more mosquito spray. I am just imagining there in their conference rooms :

-"Hey we have gone down 15% in mosquito repellent sales ,<deleted> ?!"

- "Call the press!"

2 hours ago, dutchman said:

On the long run the mosquitos will wipe out human specie

It is an underestimed problem

Meh. 1st world countries have it under control. There's also new hope on horizon:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/31/health/genetic-modified-fungus-spider-venom-scli-intl/index.html

It's going to be human overbreeding that'll be the death of us. 

I'm a bit fatalistic about this. Mosquitoes around here bite my legs the moment I go downstairs to get my breakfast. They are around all day. They have a further go at my legs in the evening.  They bite through clothing. The only thing that might help is to smother myself from morning to night with repellent. Even then they'll probably find a way.  I just get on with my life and hope that I'll be OK.  I use repellent in the evening if I'm outside but that's about it.

19 minutes ago, sniggie said:

I'm a bit fatalistic about this. Mosquitoes around here bite my legs the moment I go downstairs to get my breakfast. They are around all day. They have a further go at my legs in the evening.  They bite through clothing. The only thing that might help is to smother myself from morning to night with repellent. Even then they'll probably find a way.  I just get on with my life and hope that I'll be OK.  I use repellent in the evening if I'm outside but that's about it.

Never used that spray repellent. Have neem to ward them off. Available for free anywhere in Thailand.

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Something that may be impossible to achieve;
Thai people love dirt and live in it with delectation.

Ridiculous statement. There are dirty buggers and filthy cities in every country I've been to in Europe, Americas and Asia. Thailand has to be one of the cleanest of all the developing countries I've stepped foot in.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Meh. 1st world countries have it under control. There's also new hope on horizon:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/31/health/genetic-modified-fungus-spider-venom-scli-intl/index.html

It's going to be human overbreeding that'll be the death of us. 

mm genetically modified, sounds like maccas beef burgers

wonder what could go wrong with genetic mutations??

2 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Thailand has to be one of the cleanest of all the developing countries I've stepped foot in.

It is better to read this than to be blind.:crying:

I see that you never leave your house;
come for a stroll anywhere in Thailand;
including in the upscale neighborhoods of Bangkok;
It's repulsive of dirt.

35 minutes ago, sniggie said:

Buy or contrive a mosquito net over suit as well as the repellent. I wouldn't rely on hope. Are you using a mosquito net on your bed?

I contacted Dengue Fever while living in Pattaya. I spent 3 days in Hospital receiving antibiotics via a drip line. It's no joke, it just sapped the energy out of me. Thankfully, I received great medical care while in Hospital and was fit enough to be discharged and return home after three day stay.

13 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

It is better to read this than to be blind.:crying:

I see that you never leave your house;
come for a stroll anywhere in Thailand;
including in the upscale neighborhoods of Bangkok;
It's repulsive of dirt.

They may not have same levels of sanitation in towns compared to other developed countries but lets not mix personal hygiene with sanitation.

15 minutes ago, SinCityGr8One said:

I contacted Dengue Fever while living in Pattaya. I spent 3 days in Hospital receiving antibiotics via a drip line. 

The antibiotics, if there were any, do nothing for the virus. Might have been secondary infection.

32 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Ridiculous statement. There are dirty buggers and filthy cities in every country I've been to in Europe, Americas and Asia. Thailand has to be one of the cleanest of all the developing countries I've stepped foot in.

and then you wake up

4.jpg

3 hours ago, anon7854 said:

This hysteria is thrown off constantly by medical conglomerates/companies trying to sell more mosquito spray. I am just imagining there in their conference rooms :

- "Call the press!"

Guess you missed the story 6000 cases avg per month during dry season.

Obviously you've never had it. You'd not make light of it.

42 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30347404

1 hour ago, sniggie said:

Try Sketolene .. It should be available in spray form from pharmacies .. Works a trick for me .. quick spray up in the eve and they don't come anywhere near .. 

3 hours ago, anon7854 said:

- "Call the press!"

It's not a nice disease.

Had a friend who got it and survived. Just.

You really do not want to get it.

But hey, carry on being smug and ill informed.

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

That won't help with the subject of this thread - dengue fever. The fungus they're talking about only affects the Anophelese mosquitoes (the ones that carry malaria). Dengue fever is carried by varieties of the Aedes mosquito - a different species.

There is however another biocontrol method that seems it might help with dengue fever - the Wolbachia bacteria (see link below).

Dengue fever outbreak halted

Spent two weeks in the hospital in Phuket way back when with Dengue... no fun and some interesting side effects afterwards. Malaria is much worse of a risk, but Dengue is pervasive. 

BTW, the mosquito in the picture isn’t a Dengue mosquito, it is the one for Malaria. 

Archived