Good day guys

I need to go for a SETV end of the month. I was thinking of Hanoi. Now 2 questions I have. How strict are they over there? If I have my flight tickets etc

and everything they usually need, will I get the visa the next day like in Vientiane or are there some things I need to know about? 

Thanks for the help, out of experience I know there is always something over here, so better to make sure.

Thanks

Thank you Joe. My question could have been more clear, I'm wondering whether the poster has given any thought to the broad subject of entering Vietnam and need / no need for a Visa (depending on his passport).

- Early last year I got an e.visa to enter VN in advance (Australian passport), I arrived in Hanoi and joined the passport line and another Australian (in the normal passport line for foreigners, with his Thai wife) asked me whether I had been to VN before, and he started to show me colour photocopies of his OZ passport. He mentioned that his Thai wife had checked and was told that she could enter without visa (ASEAN member countries) and therefore her foreign husband also did NOT need a visa in advance.

The Thai wife spoke good English and commented that the photocopy of her husband'' passport was very clear and perfectly placed on the A4 page and she insisted this was important.

Before I had a chance to say anything another Australian in the line showed his e.visa in advance certificate (same as what I was showing them) and said 'you need this certificate and also mentioned being married to an ASEAN passport holder does not have any effect on visa needs of the husband'. 

A few seconds later the Thai lady took her turn and was stamped in. Then her Australian husband rejected instantly and another officer called to take the husband to the 'Visa on Arrival' counter. His wife now disappeared to the luggage carousel.

My point, has the poster thought at all about the subject of visa to enter VN or is he just assuming that he can 'walk in' because it's a visa run?

If he's from a country which is on the VN list of countries not needing a visa in advance then of course there is no problem.

• 5 months later...
On 6/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, nivram4491 said:

Does this mean you get away with a small stamp in your passport instead of a full page visa and stamp in your passport? Big advantage in my opinion.

Yes. After the Journey, you throw away the visa paper as you don't need it anymore.. and your passport still has more space for other stamps! 
2 Advantages. No Visa sticker in your passport and even cheaper than the Invitation letter. As you have to pay for invitation letter and the visa.

I think many do this, because when they want do the visa, they actually only do an invitation letter as the site looks like it's a visa when you not read everything clear. And as always most people never reading everything on a page.

• Thanks 1