Rocket Festival in Nong Bua Lamphu Province: Two Dead, Eight Injured

Fookhaht

Today, a car full of friends from our village went over to the next village (Non Sang District) to enjoy the festivities at the village's annual Ban Fai (Rocket Festival).  I was surprised when they came back early, and more surprised to see their silent, serious faces.   By their account, someone had made an unusually large rocket (about 5-6" diameter).  The rocket was launched by accident into a crowd, horizontally.  Carnage ensued with eight severely injured and two dead.  That's all we know at this point.  

Last week, I observed our own village's Ban Fai for the first time.  Crowds of people milling about, even near the launch site, no crowd control, 80% of them drunk, and rockets packed with explosives.  What could possibly go wrong?    Observing the scene, I backed way off.   Luckily, no mishaps; but after today's news, I think I'll steer totally clear of these events down the road.    

RIP to the local victims of today's accident. 

A few years ago in the village , a group of local kids were building a firework in the midday sun . Packing the gunpowder down and it exploded , killing a 16 year old and severely injuring a few others , lost limbs etc .

Didnt make the news

Found a single news report on a Thai website updated 19:41h

It says it happened around 17:00h (5 PM) today.
One dead, 13 injured (?).

Expect to see some more news coverage tomorrow.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:41 PM, steven100 said:

Those rocket festivals can be quite dangerous .... 

Yesterday a flatbed truck passed by carrying a rocket for a display in our village. I was amazed by its size.  My wife wanted me to attend the festival, I declined her kind offer.

Archived