Thailand still sealed in plastic

webfact

1 hour ago, wobalt said:

If you got plastic bag for free and have to pay for alternatives about 300 Baht - then?.

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

29 THB in Big C and mine has lasted about 6 months thus far.

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Now, now. Let's not pass the buck onto consumers. The big corps are the ones with all the money, all the power, all the expertise and if they show the same willingness for saving the plant like they show for making as much money as they can then they can sort the plastic problem out in no time. Big corps are the issue, not the local man or woman on the street.

I disagree and so does Greenpeace country director Tara Buakamsri. In part he says “The key to solving the problem is changing consumer behaviour, and Thais are heavily addicted to plastic''.

And he's right. go to any market and just watch. It's an automatic reflex for the vendor to reach for the plastic bag when selling and an equally automatic reflex for the customer to take it without question.

And runs all the way down to the local shops where the customer would, for instance, buy 2 bottles of beer in a plastic bag. Go home, throw away the bag and go back and do it again the very next day. And the next and the next. These are the kind of habits that need to be addressed.

Big corps contribution to this situation can only in reality be one thing. Stop producing the bags and force the consumers to change their habits.

• Like 2

The real problem is not the bags, or plastic, but people that don't dispose of, or recycle, plastic in a proper way.

I wonder if those that politely saying "no thank you" to plastic bags, are the same people that dispose, or recycle, plastic in a proper way...????

One of the most horrible thing in Thailand.

I don't understand how people can eat and drink hot dishes and beverage contained in a plastic bag. 

But the problem is WHO produce this plastic will agree to a reduction of the consumption?

5 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

I'm sure the ocean creatures are quite happy about how quickly we're reacting to their plight as a result of our careless use of non-biodegradable plactic.

If we kill the oceans, it's going to be a lot worse impact on the planet than the alleged climate change predictions.

I found this whale on the beach this morning.

i cut the stomach to see if plastic, but it smell to bad and have blood too much. I don’t know.

In phangnga beech.

CD8771F8-33E9-41F6-A433-62164B6F4FB5.jpeg

132C3355-FA97-4309-97A8-663C6D67F638.jpeg

FBADEAA3-2969-49E8-81F4-3308F7549DD5.jpeg

CBDCE32F-3027-457F-92D1-F611FFAB749A.jpeg

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

The real problem is not the bags, or plastic, but people that don't dispose of, or recycle, plastic in a proper way.

I wonder if those that politely saying "no thank you" to plastic bags, are the same people that dispose, or recycle, plastic in a proper way...????

In my country, there is a system in place to "dispose of, or recycle, plastic in a proper way".

I see no such thing in Thailand. So this in essence makes plastic bags "the real problem".

In Thailand, if a solution is not easy to implement, it will never happen. A recycling system is not easy at best. Banning plastic bags is easy, just a decision. Makro has done it. Now the government has to decide to force Makro to stop selling these same plastic bags that they have themselves banned from use for their own customers.

41 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

In my country, there is a system in place to "dispose of, or recycle, plastic in a proper way".

And how is that exactly.  There are so many different plastics used that there is no single way of disposing of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

I see no such thing in Thailand. So this in essence makes plastic bags "the real problem".

Its not only plastic bags, but plastic in general, disposed in wrong places – like rivers, which according to science cause 90% of plastic pollution in the ocean – however plastic can easily be disposed of and recycled in Thailand, especially if you, yourself sort plastic in a separate "plastic bag". Plastic is worth money, and the garbage collectors, if something is left for them from scavengers, actually sort some lots of the plastic, and alu-cans, and little tips.

Plastic bags just reused one time, as for example a garbage bag, and properly disposed for garbage collection, is more environmental friendly than using cotton bags for shopping, if the cotton bag is not reused about 3,000 times; and you might still buy a plastic bag for the garbage.

We can all easily do something. In Thailand, sort our garbage, so glass bottles, plastic bottles, and other plastic items, and alu-cans, and cardboard, are placed in a separate garbage bag – I use a clear bags, so the garbage collector easily can see what's inside – and make sure that we don't place any waste the wrong places, but only in garbage bins that are emptied. And if we walk the beach, or in the nature, nothing stops us from collecting some plastic, others have forgotten...????

• Thanks 1

Was just in Tesco a few hours ago. Girl double bagged goods requiring single bag. As always, took one, left one behind. This campaign is just a fiction.

* We second use the bags for trash. No issue for me, beats buying plastic garbage bags on a roll. Money literally thrown away. More mfg plastic pollution.

Now if I can just get 7 and Max Value to stop magically putting plastic straws and utensils in my bag I'd be elated.

Edited by Number 6

15 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

In Thailand, if a solution is not easy to implement, it will never happen. A recycling system is not easy at best. Banning plastic bags is easy, just a decision. Makro has done it. Now the government has to decide to force Makro to stop selling these same plastic bags that they have themselves banned from use for their own customers.

Makro is not a good example to give as one who has 'banned plastic bags'.

Being primarily a 'cash and carry' outlet to the catering trade, they have never given plastic bags out to their customers. And of course, given the type of outlet that they are, they are virtually obliged to sell plastic bags to their customers.

By the way, you don't say which country you are from, but are you aware that many of the 'developed countries' actually export their waste to the third world. They're not all as virtuous as they might seem to be.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, alesandrtr114 said:

It just hurts my heart when I see all the videos and pictures from Thailand beaches. I'd love to organise a trip to Thailand just for cleaning the beaches...

Good idea but without Work Permit it shall be impossible .

The best thing is to prohibit  the manufacture of these billions of plastic bags that destroy maritime life;
Oceans are 71% of the earth's surface;
the creatures that live in us feed us but if they die by ingestion of plastic we will die too because we will have nothing to eat.

14 hours ago, khunPer said:

We can all easily do something. In Thailand, sort our garbage, so glass bottles, plastic bottles, and other plastic items, and alu-cans, and cardboard, are placed in a separate garbage bag – I use a clear bags, so the garbage collector easily can see what's inside – and make sure that we don't place any waste the wrong places, but only in garbage bins that are emptied. And if we walk the beach, or in the nature, nothing stops us from collecting some plastic, others have forgotten..

Right,

as I do at home ;

collecting our garbage and also  in the ditches while cycling ..

P1070545_KSR.thumb.JPG.9250cf2f770fb6bbf2fd3527cbdf8ad5.JPGP1070546_KSR.JPG.d627f6cc558fa3fffbddd560b5c4ef29.JPGP1070548_KSR.thumb.JPG.d9746fe5ba3e628b049c1638ff59821b.JPGI also started a nice collection of license plates lost by different types of vehicles.  :tongue:

P1070549_KSR.thumb.JPG.1f2310fafa8b7c52cba2100c3e3d35d9.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Makro is not a good example to give as one who has 'banned plastic bags'.

Being primarily a 'cash and carry' outlet to the catering trade, they have never given plastic bags out to their customers. And of course, given the type of outlet that they are, they are virtually obliged to sell plastic bags to their customers.

By the way, you don't say which country you are from, but are you aware that many of the 'developed countries' actually export their waste to the third world. They're not all as virtuous as they might seem to be.

China's ban on trash imports shifts waste crisis to Southeast Asia >>> https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/11/china-ban-plastic-trash-imports-shifts-waste-crisis-southeast-asia-malaysia/

23 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

If we kill the oceans, it's going to be a lot worse impact on the planet than the alleged climate change predictions.

That’s A very good point and could happen far quicker than climate change through warming. Greenpeace director Tara has it spot on: change of behaviour is needed and to do that requires different approaches than just banning POS plastic bags. In Western Australia the Govt got it wrong big time last year. They banned free POS plastic bag handouts but allowed instead paid heavy plastic bag sales in an effort to curb use. Problem is they didn’t factor that folks take their shopping home in the thin plastic bags then use them to line kitchen bins for all the household refuse storage and which are then used to put out the rubbish in the bin for collection. The result was adverse consequence and no behaviour change: people just buy bin liners of the same thin plastic (quite cost effective) and use them instead. Consequently there is little or no net reduction and the only behaviour change effected has been the move to paid thin plastic. You have to wonder if this was no collusion with big retail (?). Total disaster. 

Whole of of value chain recycling and replacement materials is required. Bring back the old fashioned shopping bags our mums used to use to go shopping. The good old days!!

1 minute ago, khunPer said:

Any good movies worth watching in bin #3..?????

Don't think so ;

they are CD-Rom I find in the ditches ;

In the bin maybe 4 or 5 years along the roads in Udon Thani and Sakon Nakhon provinces .

if people throw them out of their cars (or trucks) it's because they do not work properly in their readers;
almost all the CR-Roms sold here are counterfeits;
normal that many of them are good only for the trash!

For having good movies, blueray quality, between 7 to sometimes 25 Gb and more  for one movie ,  the best is to download them from some torrents ..:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Tradewind777 said:

Bring back the old fashioned shopping bags our mums used to use to go shopping. The good old days!!

But only if its reused 7,100 times, otherwise the thing plastic bags are more environmental friendly, if reused once, like for example in the garbage bin, and thereby disposed properly.

8-image_jpg_bigger.jpgBjorn Lomborg @BjornLomborg
FølgFølg @BjornLomborg
Mere

Plastic bags best for the environment: You must reuse a regular cotton bag 7,100 times to make it better for the environment Organic cotton bag needs 20,000 reuses Paper needs 43 reuses

Source: New Danish EPA analysis (Bjorn Lomborg on Twitter)

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

But only if its reused 7,100 times, otherwise the thing plastic bags are more environmental friendly, if reused once, like for example in the garbage bin, and thereby disposed properly.

Source: New Danish EPA analysis (Bjorn Lomborg on Twitter)

Notice, this analysis is for Denmark, where it is (reasonably) assumed that Danish plastic bags will be incinerated, so contributing energy at the end of their useful life while not blighting nature

You have to read it through to understand it.  The above is comment from Bjorn Lomborg (the author) and he's correct if that's what happens in the rest of the world.  We all know that it doesn't hence the overpowering reason to get rid of single use plastic.

4 hours ago, HHTel said:

You have to read it through to understand it.  The above is comment from Bjorn Lomborg (the author) and he's correct if that's what happens in the rest of the world.  We all know that it doesn't hence the overpowering reason to get rid of single use plastic.

Yes, if not incinerated, the figures are smaller – reused up to 1,400 times for normal cotton, and up to 3,800 times for ecological cotton – but Thailand actually also has an increasing number garbage incinerators, some of them also produce electric power, and numerous other countries use incinerators. A link to the full report is here.

The problem is not plastic bags, but how plastic bags are disposed, and preferably reused before disposal. And the disposal problem is not only for bags, but plastic in general.

Don't focus so much on, if 7-Eleven and Tesco-Lotus, and like, offers plastic bags, but focus on having the plastic bags users to change their behavior when disposing their used bags – and plastic waste in general – Singapore is an excellent example...????

2 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

You talking about silicon I guess

I doubt it. Probably talking about silicone. Of course it could be that he's in love with his smart phone - seems to be happening a lot.