Thailand still sealed in plastic

webfact

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Singapore is an excellent example...????

But but but, this is Thailand.  Have you ever seen a Thai change their habits?

The only way to get rid of plastic here is enforcement.  Nobody here will change off their own bat.

Despite all the info on TV, radio, newspapers, signs in the stores, lots of news items about marine life dying, then stand outside a convenience store for 5 mins and see how many people have been affected and taken onboard some responsibility............ none!  I'll point out that it's not just Thais.  Most of the expats here are just as bad.

Edited by HHTel
addition
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

What are you going to do with it?

With what ?

The cars and truck plates ?

Don't know ..

Maybe gave them to a friend of mine who has a " cafe " and already plates from England, USA and France ..

About the plastic objects , iron boxes  and the glass bottles  ,when the blue bags are full ,  I sell them here - about 4 km from my village - for a few hundred baht 

P1060542_Kud_Chik_recuperateur.thumb.JPG.dc1845cd66ce73a50c6875735ed21497.JPG

P1060543_Kud_Chik_recuperateur.thumb.JPG.ef9ee5db6bc429d4ef1c1bc352f9e042.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HHTel said:
13 hours ago, khunPer said:

Singapore is an excellent example...????

But but but, this is Thailand.  Have you ever seen a Thai change their habits?

The only way to get rid of plastic here is enforcement.  Nobody here will change off their own bat.

"Enforcement" is to my knowledge exactly what Singapore did, and that successfully changed the habits of the people both living there, and those visiting; so it seems like you agree in such a solution...????

I first time read about Singapore's way to get rid of littering in the beginning of the 1970'ies when I was working with planning in an airline. We were going to have crews on stop in Singapore, so I made a local information folder for that route about the littering penalties, so we didn't loose a crew member for a flight, due to throwing garbage, or chewing gum – chewing-gum was then, and still is, to my knowledge, prohibited – as there was no way around it. Besides fines the offender would be forced to several days work, or even a week, by cleaning streets or like public areas; the article told that even American tourists – ladies with blue colored hair – were seen cleaning streets.

I was searching Google for documentation, but stuff from that time is not easily found; however, it seems like it hasn't changed that much, this article from Singapore's The Strait Times in 2015 shows, that its still valid:

On April 1 last year [2014], the Environmental Public Health Act was amended to deter those who continue to act irresponsibly.

Under the revised Act, the maximum fine for littering offenders has been doubled to $2,000 for a first conviction. Those who persist can be fined $4,000 for their second conviction, and $10,000 for their third and subsequent convictions.

The courts may also impose Corrective Work Orders (CWOs) requiring offenders to clean public areas for up to 12 hours.

Source: "Current measures against littering in Singapore"

If similar laws are enforced in Thailand – especially the cleaning job on top of fines – I believe we would see a change of habits; and less plastic bags, and plastic bottles, and other litter...:whistling:

However, first step should be public trash bins, and of course maintain and service these bins...????

wIMG_3615_Keep-Sentosa-clean.jpg.9a60ac28e0c695b1f9faa93ae2a8d341.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, khunPer said:

However, first step should be public trash bins, and of course maintain and service these bins...

I have been saying it for a long time;
I also talk to people called "authorized":
village and even city officials of average or greater importance.
Thai people are totally forgiving about the environment in their towns or villages;
they know, oh yes they know how to sweep inside their homes to throw everything out and never pick anything up.

I throw the sponge; I can not fight against windmills anymore.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wobalt said:

I remember that they introduced public trash bins some years ago but they were banned and disappeared as a bomb exploded in one.

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

When we want we can ..
Why do not they look at what is happening in other countries?

for example in Paris, France, where the terrorist threat is much greater than in Thailand.
Garbage cans on sidewalks still exist;
they are in a transparent plastic; we can see what is inside.
when they are full they are replaced by empty ones by a present staff

Photo from internet 

Trash_bin_in_Paris.jpg

Edited by Assurancetourix
duplicate image

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

If similar laws are enforced in Thailand – especially the cleaning job on top of fines – I believe we would see a change of habits; and less plastic bags, and plastic bottles, and other litter.

You are right KP in that I do agree with you.  Of course, as you already know, law enforcement in Thailand is negligible, which encourages people to ignore the law.  Even on the odd occasion when someone is 'caught', the fines are 'pennies' and certainly not any kind of  deterrent.

I hope Thailand can change.  However, I've lived here for almost 20 years and I see no sign of it yet.

• Like 2