Electrical Wiring In Thailand

FrankRizzo

White is normally neutral and black is hot. However being Thailand there is no guarantee that it was wired using standards.

bad advice tywais, white could be active and black could be neutral, I am a qualified person here, triple trade.

remember if there is no earth then both are active.

White is normally neutral and black is hot. However being Thailand there is no guarantee that it was wired using standards.

bad advice tywais, white could be active and black could be neutral, I am a qualified person here, triple trade.

remember if there is no earth then both are active.

I only have experience with the US codes and the standards that our lab at the Chiangmai university follows which is the color coding I mentioned above (and we're pretty strict on following the code). And yes, if there is no earth that is true but my understanding of Thai power systems is the neutral is grounded at the pole.

"The National Electrical Code specifies that the black conductor represent the hot conductor, with significant voltage to earth ground; the white conductor represent the identified or neutral conductor, near ground potential; and the bare/green conductor, the safety grounding conductor not normally used to carry circuit current. In 240 V applications not requiring a neutral conductor, the white wire may be used as the second hot conductor, but must be recolored (usually red) with tape or by some other method. Four-wire cords have red as the fourth color."

Considering how inconsistant wiring is here the only way to know for sure is to use a meter and measure between one color to an earth ground then to the other color and earth. Near zero will be neutral (assuming power pole ground) and 220-240 from hot to earth.

I have wiring that was done in the last 12 months, One wire is White and one Black, can anyone

advise on which one is normally Active and which one Neutral ?

As others have noted they 'follow' the US code of Black=phase/live/hot White=neutral

However it's wise to check with your meter or a trusty neon screwdriver, have a look here for more info http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring :o

Thanks for the replies. Neon Screwdriver, that's a good idea, i'll check with that. I have a seperate

green conductor as well.

The installations here are basic, power points that are always live ( no switches ), no earths on

the powerpoints and flimsy looking insulation !!

Cheers

Frank

If you have a green conductor that should be connected to earth and outlets (power points) should accept three pin plugs and be grounded. Much of the world uses outlets without switch's.

The neon screwdriver is a must have and would highly advise having a multi meter if you have three socket outlets to confirm they have wired all the grounds - hopefully they will show same voltage from live to neutral or ground.

Would anyone know where I can buy some "terminal blocks" or "joiners" - i'm not sure what the electrical term is ??

I need to join two cables together ie. the wires from the 32 Amp breaker and the wires to the 5500W cooktop.

I checked at HomePro but their terminal blocks looked like low current capability.

I have a neon screwdriver now but unfortunately don't have a Fluke DMM !

Thanks

Frank

You don't need a Fluke. A cheap multi meter from Lotus will work (about 200 baht).

I have not seen copper split nuts for sale here so expect you may only find screw cap type connectors but not sure they will have large enough for those wires. Perhaps a circuit breaker?

6174312.jpg

You don't need a Fluke. A cheap multi meter from Lotus will work (about 200 baht).

I have not seen copper split nuts for sale here so expect you may only find screw cap type connectors but not sure they will have large enough for those wires. Perhaps a circuit breaker?

I was thinking the same re. the circuit breaker, readily available in a little surface mount box, not likely to melt. We would use a 'cooker point' in the UK, same idea :o

I HAVE seen "32A" (14mm2 capacity IIRC) choc-block connectors but they had clear nylon insulation which doesn't perform well if it gets hot (for example under the range top).

As Lop. suggests there are some perfectly adequate cheapo DMMs available for silly money (have a look in Tesco).

Would anyone know where I can buy some "terminal blocks" or "joiners" - i'm not sure what the electrical term is ??

I need to join two cables together ie. the wires from the 32 Amp breaker and the wires to the 5500W cooktop.

I checked at HomePro but their terminal blocks looked like low current capability.

I have a neon screwdriver now but unfortunately don't have a Fluke DMM !

Thanks

Frank

I don't know what they are called in Thailand but I use BP connectors, which I have purchased in Thailand (Klaeng). They normally can accommodate up to 2 x 4mm2 cables. They come in 2 varieties; single screw for joining all cables except earths & double screw for connecting earths. They can normally handle about 60 amps & are insulated but it is necessary to wrap the entire connection with PVC electrical tape upon completion of the termination.

A word about joining cables - they must be twisted CORRECTLY & screwed CORRECTLY. If these things are done incorrectly, equipment damage, personal injury or death may result. If you don't know how to do this properly, I can be persuaded carry these works out (since Thai electricians seem to not know about this).