Opening account Bangkok Bank

I went there today (near Suphan Buri). My old account was closed for inactivity. I am on non-o multi entry. The lady was helpful but insisted I need a certificate of citizenship from my embassy. This is a couple hour drive so I'm not in a hurry to do it but just wanted to let other users know.

There seem to be varying requirements around the country's banks. A certificate of citizenship sounds like a new one, I thought a passport might cover that. A certificate of residency from the Embassy I have heard of. There  is also the idea of taking a Thai wife with you or other guarantor. Also the buying of insurance can help!

I started a thread week or so back about opening bank ac. I wanted to open a fixed term ac. I was having trouble with my own bank. They also wanted embassy letter. Went to head office in bkk. They said OK but the % was rubbish. I went bangkok bank next. With Thai partner in tow. She has ac there. No luck. Wanted embassy letter. Went to bkk bank head office. They wanted something from my bank in Au. It was lost in translation. Point of story is had advice from TVF to go to various banks. Keep trying. I then went local GREEN bank opened a fixed term ac and savings ac with ATM card with only my passport. Other banks wanted residence letter. BTW Australia embassy don't do them anymore. Useless but that's another story.

@Tayaout  Just to be clear, is it "frozen" for inactivity, or totally closed? 

To me, closed would indicate it was put in frozen status after 1 year, and then the bank charged monthly inactive account fees until the remaining balance, if any(?) was depleted, and then closed/terminated.

If it's still just frozen, you should be able to reactivate it, saving you the hassle of opening a new one.

Just curious, how long did it sit inactive?

I opened an account with Bangkok Bank in Hua Hin a couple of months ago, was asked for no more than my passport, in and out in fifteen minutes or so with my new bank book, a Mastercard ATM card and internet access.

Last year I tried to open an account in a Kasikorn bank in Bangkok, where I already had an account, they told me that it was a new Bank of Thailand instruction that I needed to supply a letter from my Embassy, my question as to what the letter needed to say was met with a blank stare. Kasikorn confirmed in writing that there was no such requirement and suggested that I return to the bank and show their reply to the operative, I was keen to do just that but my wife vetoed it, we went to another branch where the account was opened in minutes, my Embassy confirmed that they wouldn't supply such a letter.

25 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

@Tayaout  Just to be clear, is it "frozen" for inactivity, or totally closed? 

To me, closed would indicate it was in frozen status first, and then the bank charged monthly inactive account fees until the remaining balance was depleted (if any at all), and then closed/terminated.

If it's still just frozen, you should be able to reactivate it, saving you the hassle of opening a new one.

I lost my ATM card while in Europe (2-3 years ago) and emptyed the account by buying stuff online. At the Bank they told me the account was closed. 

8 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I opened an account with Bangkok Bank in Hua Hin a couple of months ago, was asked for no more than my passport, in and out in fifteen minutes or so with my new bank book, a Mastercard ATM card and internet access.

Last year I tried to open an account in a Kasikorn bank in Bangkok, where I already had an account, they told me that it was a new Bank of Thailand instruction that I needed to supply a letter from my Embassy, my question as to what the letter needed to say was met with a blank stare. Kasikorn confirmed in writing that there was no such requirement and suggested that I return to the bank and show their reply to the operative, I was keen to do just that but my wife vetoed it, we went to another branch where the account was opened in minutes, my Embassy confirmed that they wouldn't supply such a letter.

They showed me example letter from Sweden and Germany and it was some certificate of citizenship. We will try other bank if this doesn't work then I will call my embassy to make sure I can get this letter. 

Just now, Tayaout said:

I lost my ATM card while in Europe and could still empty it buying stuff online. At the Bank they told me the account was closed. 

OK.  I'm sure they would have offered to reactivate if it was possible. 

Reason I asked was, in my experience, sometimes bank employees give the wrong information.  If YOU know the right answer, often times a bit of persistence can turn a problem situation around. 

Good luck on the new account.  Cheers///.

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

OK.  I'm sure they would have offered to reactivate if it was possible. 

Reason I asked was, in my experience, sometimes bank employees give the wrong information.  If YOU know the right answer, often times a bit of persistence can turn a problem situation around. 

Good luck on the new account.  Cheers///.

Employee did not speak English but my wife mentionned I already have an account. The employee was very helpful and she printed a list of requirements in Thai that she showed to my wife. 

4 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Employee did not speak English but my wife mentionned I already have an account. 

OK.  Just saw you edited earlier response ^ with inactive time frame and that remaining balance was used up with on-line purchases.  Without that info initially, I thought there might be a  chance to salvage the old account.  Bummer.  ????

Cheers///

Archived