How to obtain a 2nd British passport for Visa purpose

hello, help appreciated, I have posted this here as it is thai visa related.

I have a British passport having only a few pages empty. I need a 2nd passport to manage my work (Iraq) and home (Thailand) visas.

The application form ( section 10 ) needs to be filled out by a counter signatory, must be a professional person and must have known me for 

two years. I do not know any professional person for two years.

I have had a second passport before, it expired.

I thought if I contacted the place in Bangkok who accepts applications for British passports they might be able to assist.

So does anyone know the contact details ( email preferred) that I can discuss this with.

Or any other ideas that might assist me.

Thanks in advance

Hello BritManToo

Thanks for your prompt reply, sounds good.

If possible could you please expand on how you are aware of no having to have a counter signatory. Please bear in mind rules seem to get stricter every year and also these rules maybe open to interpretation from the passport staff.

As I have to go visit Bangkok to apply it would put my mind at rest if I could verify this by seeing it in writing at a government site or could email the passport place in Bangkok.

One again thanks

Hello

many thanks for your useful advise.

So no need to have countersign which is a relief.

Just one more question, do I need to supply 2 new photographs signed for true likeness at the back.

If so is there a service in Bangkok who is prepared to do this for me for a fee?

Regards

4 minutes ago, localexpat said:

Hello

many thanks for your useful advise.

So no need to have countersign which is a relief.

Just one more question, do I need to supply 2 new photographs signed for true likeness at the back.

If so is there a service in Bangkok who is prepared to do this for me for a fee?

Regards

No

I had a friend who tried to get his second passport , he had had 2 passports for years , but one expired. He paid in full for his passport , but it got knocked back in the UK as he did not have a headed notepaper from a present employer stating he needed the second passport for work visa purposes. 

8 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I had a friend who tried to get his second passport , he had had 2 passports for years , but one expired. He paid in full for his passport , but it got knocked back in the UK as he did not have a headed notepaper from a present employer stating he needed the second passport for work visa purposes. 

Correct, Believe this is now a requirement, had an employee fairly recently request such a letter for his second PP.

4 hours ago, CGW said:

Correct, Believe this is now a requirement, had an employee fairly recently request such a letter for his second PP.

i think it always has been a requirement.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JaiLai said:

i think it always has been a requirement.

I don't think it has - though my memory may well be failing me, I used to have two PP, don't ever remember having to get a letter, that's about 20 years ago though, then you could go to the embassy and get a PP in a week and actually discuss the "why's" with someone.

I don't think it has - though my memory may well be failing me, I used to have two PP, don't ever remember having to get a letter, that's about 20 years ago though, then you could go to the embassy and get a PP in a week and actually discuss the "why's" with someone.

I can only recall back about as far as 2010 and I needed letters from that point forward.

Crazy to think you used to be able to go into embassy’s and speak to a human - how times change.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 hours ago, NE1 said:

That is quite restrictive.  UK citizens can't get a second passport to visit  "Israel" for touristic or personal reasons?

You will need a letter from your employer stating that you require the second passport for work / visa purposes (and you will need a letter for the renewal of each passport from there on in as each passport is effectively the second one !).

The application process is the same as that for a replacement passport. 

Edited by richard_smith237

10 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

That is quite restrictive.  UK citizens can't get a second passport to visit  "Israel" for touristic or personal reasons?

A second passport is not necessary to visit Israel.

Israel does not stamp foreign passports - Israeli immigration stamps a piece of paper which is inserted into your passport (or at least they used to). 

Thanks I did not know that I thought it was one of the main reasons Americans get a second passport.

I know one guy he has to go everywhere such a  skiing in Iran, the Potempkin village tour of North Korea, Antarctica

and he told me about second passport for the visas.

I've had a 2nd British Passport for the last 20 years, I had one of them renewed last October in Bangkok.

You'll need to email them first to make an appointment, the office in Bangkok is at the Trendy Building, Sukhumvit Soi 13.

Obviously, you need the form filled in, you can print it out online for overseas applications - if in the UK, you need to get one from the Post Office.  There is no counter signature required for a renewal.

As already mentioned, you need a letter from your employer stating the reason why you need a second passport.  This needs to be dated within 30 days of your application date.

You'll also need a full colour photocopy of every page in your existing passports.  Since i was renewing, that was a full copy of both passports.

Lastly, i gave them a copy of a letter which had my name and address on it (bank statement), dated within the last 3 months.

They send all your documents to LIverpool and don't bill you until your application has been approved.  Therefore, you need to give them another form which has the billing details from the credit card or debit card you'll use to pay with.  You don't pay in Bangkok. payment is taken from the UK.

The office in the Trendy building is very efficient, I had a 10:30 appointment but arrived early which was no problem.  All told i was in and out of there in 5 minutes and my new passport was ready to pickup around 11 days after i applied which was excellent service.

10 minutes ago, bigginhill said:

Sorry but I have never heard of this before, so what would legitimate reasons be for a second passport, not just to have visas put in? 

Someone who visits Moslem countries and also Israel is a fairly common legitimate reason. Some Moslem countries will not admit passport holders who they can see have also been to Israel, especially more than once

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
2 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

A second passport is not necessary to visit Israel.

Israel does not stamp foreign passports - Israeli immigration stamps a piece of paper which is inserted into your passport (or at least they used to). 

10 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:
22 minutes ago, bigginhill said:

Sorry but I have never heard of this before, so what would legitimate reasons be for a second passport, not just to have visas put in? 

Someone who visits Moslem countries and also Israel is a fairly common legitimate reason. Some Moslem countries will not admit passport holders who they can see have also been to Israel, especially more than once

Covered above - Israel does not stamp your passport - you get a stamped slip of paper. 

A legitimate reason would be... if you live in Thailand where there is a regulation to have your passport on you at all times, where you need your passport to check into hotels etc... or if you are traveling in and out of Thailand... And at the same time you need to apply for a Visa to a country which has longer Visa processing times.

There is a slim possibility that if you provide an itinerary that you could get a second passport. Realistically through, you need a letter from your Employer stating your need for a second passport (i.e. travelling on one Visa in one passport while applying for Visa to another country in a different passport at the same time). 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sungod said:

You also need to state in the comments section that you are renewing a 2nd passport, and the other (insert number) should not be cancelled.

And when you do so, you need the letter to from an employ (or other suitable letter) jusifitying your need for the second passport. 

Its not ok to have your main passport and think you can just renew your second. When you have two passports every time you renew any of them you will need the letter to justify the issuance of a second passport. 

• Thanks 1