General Prayut returns as prime minister

webfact

9 hours ago, PatOngo said:

This will do wonders for the much coveted image of the country. My image is one of political third world cesspit! Over to you netizens....are you outraged now???

So you would have preferred the PPT with the likes of Chalerm and a lot of undesirable corrupt characters. 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Artisi said:

You win, comedian of the month - please take a bow. 

I thought there was already democracy in Thailand, the Thai people all decide what laws they want to follow, especially on the roads.

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

Actually, when Abhisit was the Democrat leader he said they would not support Prayut. He resigned after the election and they eventually elected another leader and chose to support Prayut, whereupon Abhisit resigned as an MP.

So while it is ironic that a Democrat party would vote for a coup leader, don’t blame it on Abhisit. He is one of the few Thai MPs with a conscience.

As far as I know, Abhisit resigned after the voting by his party members to join Prayut and NOT before.

So he was the leader then but he can't make the decision unilaterally.

2 minutes ago, gamini said:

So you would have preferred the PPT with the likes of Chalerm and a lot of undesirable corrupt characters. 

For a zillion times; they were elected and didn’t rip the constitution to rig one that secured their continuity, 

I suspect that mogul investors, who were waiting for the outcome, will now depart business interests in the country... truly a shame... let's see... what country do I want to spend my money in next... Vietnam is looking mighty inviting.

6 hours ago, Eligius said:

The Thai Powers That Be have just proven that the 'parliamentary' route for the Thais to get their due and just representation in their own country has been fraudulently denied them. 

There is an old saying: 'When you disallow peaceful rebellion, you make violent rebellion inevitable'.

Except in Thailand.

All hope is essentially lost. I feel desperately, desperately sad for the young Thais (in particular) who so very much wanted a much better and brighter future for Thailand than this abomination that has been foisted upon them (and us).

I think the result is hardly surprising, and it's safe to say everyone saw this coming. But I guess most still held a sliver of hope against hope that a miracle would happen. To have that wiped away completely is truly, very unfortunate. It is a sad, sad day - and future - for Thailand indeed.

10 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Interesting, the man who took Thailand with brutal force reelected as PM.

Suffice it to say that LoS is quite different.

Is it just Prayut who doesn't remember that he undelined in 2014 that his role should be temporary until a new government was in place ...

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The security guards with their whistles. Only a matter of time before they start giving themselves ranks.

This is Thailand.:cheesy:

It has already started, actually. I've seen some with stripes on their sleeves, and those more 'senior' ones actually walk around with stars (not sure what they are actually called) on their shoulders! :cheesy:

3 minutes ago, outsider said:

It has already started, actually. I've seen some with stripes on their sleeves, and those more 'senior' ones actually walk around with stars (not sure what they are actually called) on their shoulders! :cheesy:

Yes, they will be getting the Lt/Cols and Maj/ Gens next.:cheesy:

4 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

In history many Thais have been killed fighting for democracy. It is a very risky business. I wonder how many of the armchair warriors on here who blame the Thais for not rising up would be willing to go and risk their own lives if the same was happening in their own country. Willing to bet that most of you would leave it to someone else while you left it to somebody else.

Exactly right.

Just about every countrys people have sat by and let politicians take the complete pเรร out out of them.

Then if/when Thais do take to the streets the foriegn media portray them as simpletons and make out its a bannana republic.

how long and how many times since Brits voted about this whole Brexit sham?

and they still been ignored!

Maybe if Brits made an "uprising" there it might be different.

Cant really preach about Thailand.

1 minute ago, tingtongtourist said:

Exactly right.

Just about every countrys people have sat by and let politicians take the complete pเรร out out of them.

Then if/when Thais do take to the streets the foriegn media portray them as simpletons and make out its a bannana republic.

how long and how many times since Brits voted about this whole Brexit sham?

and they still been ignored!

Maybe if Brits made an "uprising" there it might be different.

Cant really preach about Thailand.

My country is blamed for going to war all over the world, so I know I won't be counted in the "armchair warriors", we love a fight!

57 minutes ago, EricTh said:

As far as I know, Abhisit resigned after the voting by his party members to join Prayut and NOT before.

So he was the leader then but he can't make the decision unilaterally.

No, he resigned as leader right after the election. He resigned as an MP when the party, lead by their new leader, decided to support Prayut.

"He (Prayuth) came to power in a coup, then comes in and completely changes the rules and conditions that allows him to stay on and transform himself into a prime minister candidate," said Chonlanan Srikaew of the opposition Pheu Thai party."

Perfect summing up of the situation!

12 hours ago, webfact said:

"He (Prayuth) came to power in a coup, then comes in and completely changes the rules and conditions that allows him to stay on and transform himself into a prime minister candidate," said Chonlanan Srikaew of the opposition Pheu Thai party.

speaking like that didn't send him to jail....how dare you question PM and his entourage's integrity 555

wohowww, what a surprise, it only took them a little more than 2 months to complete all the rigging, cheating, votes buying.... now they have another 5 years to fill up the pockets, some new cars, new condo, thailand lost the little credibility they had

4 hours ago, law ling said:

Soon the next stage starts: opposition voices will go too far and ultimately be silenced or crippled by treason charges or bankruptcy proceedings following defamation actions.

Already started if you read the foreign press.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

“I was born when Thailand was at the same stage of development as South Korea, but now Vietnam, which joined the economic race much later, looks set to leap ahead of Thailand,” Thanathorn said, adding “I’m ready to lead Thailand into the future.”

good comparison, they all have something in common "corruption" but not a monarchy, Thailand is better compared to their eastern neighbor Cambodia, military running the shots

8 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

wohowww, what a surprise, it only took them a little more than 2 months to complete all the rigging, cheating, votes buying.... now they have another 5 years to fill up the pockets, some new cars, new condo, thailand lost the little credibility they had

You forgot luxury watches, gold rings, and amulets, those things are prized here more than anything, gotta have bling!

9 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

Digital alright.

They will flood the internet with (even more) selfies ..

To be fair to the Thais (especially the youngsters): they are truly furious about what happened yesterday and are venting on social media. If change is going to come, clearly it will come from the young.

Yet I fear that social media alone will not be sufficient ...

11 hours ago, smedly said:

The Election was meaningless 

If rules had been applied he would not be PM

Democracy in name only - unfortunately

and before anyone accuses me of anything - go look my posts

I call a spade a spade - how I see it

Hope for Thailand is not looking good, we almost had someone who could have made a difference - he blew it

On a positive note - it could be very negative for the BAHT, an economy like Thailands can not sustain huge military spending and other schemes with 50% being creamed of the top - it will reach a point were the sums don't add up, Thais pretty much make a mess of everything propagated through greed - Nation fiscal solvency is no different, tick tock tick tock

I like your post and wish you were right about the baht, but the THB has proven to be bulletproof time and time again over the past 2 decades. Through all sorts of political, financial, economic, violence as well as human & natural disasters. THB will shrug off this disaster too, just like all the past others. 

Hoping you're right and I'm wrong! 

7 hours ago, Artisi said:

The hub of........ 

Nightie shredding,  footsie stamping aged expats? 

You blokes should be jumping with joy. After all most of you are spouting that Thailand will be ruined because of this.  That should cause the baht to drop and then you can all put 800,000 in the bank and return to your bar stools and find something else to whinge about. 

To be honest the only people I hear complaining about the newly elected PM are the members of TVF.  The wife is very happy with the outcome as are the rest of the people in our Isaan village. 

Really, the complaining on here is about as effective as two fleas arguing over a dog. But if it gets it off your chest please carry on. Some of the rants make for great comedic entertainment.

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

That should cause the baht to drop

where did you get that one, you must be well informed  FYI maybe in "your" Isaan village people are very happy (did you ever consider if they received monetary help from the junta, that couold be a good reason to be happy but I do know plenty of Thais here in the South that are absolutely not happy with the outcome, 1,000's of them and some were not allowed to vote

7 hours ago, dave moir said:

You're bang on the button! This guy is going nowhere for a very long time!

Yes i couldn't agree more.these types of leaders stay in power until their last breath if they can.castro,Mugabe,sadam,gadaffi.hes here for a very long term.

6 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I do hope PM P went to the temple today to cleanse his conscience and make merit!

in order to cleanse it he needs to have one and, based on his behavior,  I doubt

2 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Yes i couldn't agree more.these types of leaders stay in power until their last breath if they can.castro,Mugabe,sadam,gadaffi.hes here for a very long term.

Xi Jin Ping... this one also changed their constitution to be allowed to stay for life, wonder if somehow they are blood related

Archived