Alternates to Honda Wave/Dream

stament

Besides the resell value and lack of Somchai repair shops what are the pros and cons of buying a Yamaha Finn or Suzuki Smash?

Surely the mechanics in these bikes are quite similar. Is the build quality poorer or other issues. 

I've read on this forum that Yamaha's are very well made and Honda's aren't as well built as previously. Nothing said about the Suzuki  Smash!

All comments appreciated as always...

Cons of getting the Smash: If you smash it, hard to get parts????

We got a Filano (Grand?) hybrid not so long time ago, nice little scout, seems like good quality.

I never owned a Suzuki bike in Thailand so can't really comment on them but as mentioned, not so popular here, so re-sale value likely effected in a negative way. I would say; go for Yamaha.

4 hours ago, stament said:

pros and cons of buying a Yamaha Finn or Suzuki Smash?

Surely the mechanics in these bikes are quite similar. Is the build quality poorer or other issues. 

I've read on this forum that Yamaha's are very well made and Honda's aren't as well built as previously.

Our area I would say is a Honda bike choice one and has been for years the most popular and still is.

Honda Wave is for many the Thai peoples truck, I would say similar Wave type bikes were copied by other manufacturers and can be just as reliable.

As for Yamaha IMO they have had to up their game because of Honda quality.

I'm told the Mio is good these days, my wife's 2006 over the later years has had many problems, electrical wiring, switches for lights etc, ignition switch change and bodywork has faded making it look old.

My 2006 Airblade still looks new.

As for Suzuki Smash there a couple I see and these little things below are flying about everywhere. 

msx125sf-red.png.dab11b76120fe54a36cc1dd89f5bb4e5.png

20 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

As for Yamaha IMO they have had to up their game because of Honda quality.

You will see more Yamaha Nmax's in Indonesia than you see Honda PCX. 

The opposite is true here. A lot of non-science folk lore exists everywhere. 

20 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

You will see more Yamaha Nmax's in Indonesia than you see Honda PCX. 

The opposite is true here. A lot of non-science folk lore exists everywhere. 

2015 The N.MAX will be manufactured locally by PT Yamaha Indonesia Motors.

Could be a good reason why.

If you want to buy new, buy a Honda Wave, the resale value is just way better.

In case you want to buy used, you can also buy the Yamaha or Suzuki equivalent. The person who bought this bike new made the loss.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you want to buy new, buy a Honda Wave, the resale value is just way better.

In case you want to buy used, you can also buy the Yamaha or Suzuki equivalent. The person who bought this bike new made the loss.

What about the build quality?

• Haha 1

The Yamaha version of a Wave is called a Spark or Finn. 

The Spark/Finn has an actual oil filter element. The Waves have only a screen.

The Spark/Finn can use E85. The Waves can use E20 but not E85.

In the last 4 years, I have bought 3 new Yamahas. 

The Yamahas are at least as good quality as the Hondas I bought previously. 

And I prefer the handling of the Yamahas.

2 hours ago, Issanman said:

The Yamaha version of a Wave is called a Spark or Finn. 

The Spark/Finn has an actual oil filter element. The Waves have only a screen.

The Spark/Finn can use E85. The Waves can use E20 but not E85.

In the last 4 years, I have bought 3 new Yamahas. 

The Yamahas are at least as good quality as the Hondas I bought previously. 

And I prefer the handling of the Yamahas.

The Honda Wave 125 costs 62,000 Baht. The Yamaha Spark / Finn costs 45 K. Apart from a more advanced design engine , that uses an oil filter , and can use E 85 , the build quality is as good , if not better. People who keep rolling out the old wives tale of Honda having better resale values are living in the past. That stopped when Honda quality started going downhill in 2000. With the price saving you get buying a Yamaha you could buy 850 Liters of fuel. With the Yamaha capable of over 60 KPL , thats over 50,000 kilometers of "free fuel".

• Like 1

I have owned both Thai-built Yamahas and Hondas. The difference is often in the parts other than the engine. Yamaha undercuts Honda on price on similar models by putting cheaper forks, chain, lower quality fairing, lower quality corrosion proofing, etc. This only applies to the models where Yamaha is deliberately striving to undercut Honda's price.

Yamaha own Ohlins suspension. Yamahas are know to have better quality brakes and suspension than Honda. Design and price of other components is very similar. Yamaha dont overcharge , or have to buy , staff and run a "Honda service center" on every street. Which is often the other thing people mention when trying to justify the "advantages" of buying a Honda.  Like , how hard is it to get an oil change - with filter - once a year.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 7:19 PM, ktm jeff said:

The Honda Wave 125 costs 62,000 Baht. The Yamaha Spark / Finn costs 45 K. Apart from a more advanced design engine , that uses an oil filter , and can use E 85 , the build quality is as good , if not better. People who keep rolling out the old wives tale of Honda having better resale values are living in the past. That stopped when Honda quality started going downhill in 2000. With the price saving you get buying a Yamaha you could buy 850 Liters of fuel. With the Yamaha capable of over 60 KPL , thats over 50,000 kilometers of "free fuel".

What's he advantage of using E85?

E85 if the engine is tuned for it can give a bit more power at the cost of fuel volume. 

Yamaha build quality is supposedly better than Honda. 

For me it would depend on which dealership is nearer my house or which dealership is the most friendly. 

In BKK there is a friendly Honda dealership on Soi 71 and a Yamaha one in Pak Nam. In contrast the Yamaha dealer at Bang Na /Sukhumvit junction for me is next to useless.

I think for Waves there is more aftermarket gear than Spark/Finn whereas one sees more skinny tired hoped up Finos, than one does say Scoopy.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1