Welcome to Australia, will you be choosing electricity or food?!

2 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Last time I was in WA, I accompanied my daughter to a skin clinic to check moles for cancer; I was almost hospitalised for shock when informed it was $100 for the check and $250 to have them treated.

Now, if you have an image in mind of a Thai clinic, forget it - this place was in a swank new building, cctv everywhere, a few nice BMWs and Mercs parked in the doctors only parking. Inside was like an art gallery and I don't mean paintings of warts...

For a country with such harsh summers, it should be free to check - I am almost certain it was in the mid 90's...

Unfortunately the government Medicare rebate has not kept pace with the rapaciousness of the doctors' trade union

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Woolworths and Coles do have discounts but rarely on meat and it's only ever on a few items that they want to get rid of before it goes off.  Try buying 4 x lamb chops and see how much they are. Beer is very expensive ... if you buy a pot glass QLD or a Middy glass NSW you are looking at $5-7 depending if outside happy hour or the pub location.

As for living by the sea ... any town or location from Caloundra to Mackay is tourist area's and therefore everything is increased in price. As for the fishing,  don't you need a fishing license in Australia to go fishing  ??

When fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater, you must carry your recreational fishing licence or a receipt showing your payment of the recreational fishing fee, at all times. This includes when spear fishing, hand lining, hand gathering, trapping, bait collecting and prawn netting, or when in possession of fishing gear in, on or near these waters

• Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, kevvy said:

When fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater, you must carry your recreational fishing licence or a receipt showing your payment of the recreational fishing fee, at all times. This includes when spear fishing, hand lining, hand gathering, trapping, bait collecting and prawn netting, or when in possession of fishing gear in, on or near these waters

yes ... I thought so ... I didn't realize it was salt water fishing also. Qld not required. Just another authority wanting a piece of the pie.

• Like 1

Our pensioners are going hungry as the cost of food is expensive , hospitals have a huge waiting list, waiting for a train to go to Melbourne airport for 25 years etc etc, and yet the Prime Minister Morrison announced after meeting his Solomons counterpart Manasseh Sogavare in the capital, Honiara, that Australia would provide 250 million Australian dollars ($174 million) in aid over the next decade for infrastructure spending. I thought you look after your own first

• Like 1
6 hours ago, kevvy said:

My wife and I do not eat out , I cook from home , we tried eating out and the food was crap. The food at some restaurants are just frozen crap and a sauce put on .My dinner last night was homed cooked and very nice . And cheaper than going to a restaurant .

20190605_184155.jpg

Pick me!! ????

• Like 1
11 hours ago, kevvy said:

Our pensioners are going hungry as the cost of food is expensive , hospitals have a huge waiting list, waiting for a train to go to Melbourne airport for 25 years etc etc, and yet the Prime Minister Morrison announced after meeting his Solomons counterpart Manasseh Sogavare in the capital, Honiara, that Australia would provide 250 million Australian dollars ($174 million) in aid over the next decade for infrastructure spending. I thought you look after your own first

They have their priorities, in Sydney anyway...

image.png.54cfb017137233f795b6f1abc7d151a2.png

• Like 1

This is australia for you ....

Scott Morrison is in line for a $10,000-a-year payrise after a decision made by an independent tribunal.
The Remuneration Tribunal announced that every public office in its jurisdiction would get a two per cent payrise from the start of next month.
That includes all federal politicians.
Mr Morrison's pay will go up to $550,000-a-year.
Australia pays its prime minister more than any country in the world except for Singapore.
Mr Morrison will earn more than ten times the salaries of the prime ministers of Poland, Thailand and Malaysia.
17 hours ago, kevvy said:

My wife and I do not eat out , I cook from home , we tried eating out and the food was crap. The food at some restaurants are just frozen crap and a sauce put on .My dinner last night was homed cooked and very nice . And cheaper than going to a restaurant .

20190605_184155.jpg

Too much Wasabi for my liking... ????

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, steven100 said:
Australia pays its prime minister more than any country in the world except for Singapore.
Mr Morrison will earn more than ten times the salaries of the prime ministers of Poland, Thailand and Malaysia.

It is the land of white privilege, for example note the (lack of) diversity in the sports teams:

image.png.66229e662e72dd5e3c792282fa0691a1.png

Even Aboriginal MPs are white!:

image.png.907bba96a1f47ed069fa105475e43b5a.png

• Sad 1
18 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

It is the land of white privilege, for example note the (lack of) diversity in the sports teams:

Yes, and of course the politicians, judges and senior bureaucrats should all be paid a MINUS figure. That would encourage them to work better. Along with regular public whippings.

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

and some have blue eyes

2 hours ago, kevvy said:

Just heard that the Aus Prime Minister is the second highest paid Prime Minister in the world

Most democracies publicly state their head of state, Prime Minister's salary. AUD 550k is a pretty good wicket to be earning, but who knows what Prayut or Hun Sen in Cambodia are earning? Nothing made public and even on Google a blank. I would bet that they are earning a higher salary again.. But who really knows how much? 

• Like 2

I left australia for good 10 years ago. As a single man it was just impossible to find affordable place to live. I used to work in the city but live in suburbs in a unit.

getting $800 a week. $120 for train to work per week. $300 for unit I was lucky to get as I knew the owner otherwise no chance being a single person. Car expenses getting to the train. Food. Utilities. Phone and internet. 

going out was a very rare thing. If having a beer you need to get ripped off in a taxi fare. Stupid laws where leaving your car unlocked gets you a fine of half your wages. They really do find ways to screw you.

i really pity those on a pension. Very sad what the country has become.

So glad I packed up and got out of there. Best move i ever made. 

• Like 1
On 6/6/2019 at 7:53 AM, steven100 said:

Australia has become one of the most expensive countries in the world and consumers largely have the Government to thank, new research suggests.

Bananas, books, cars, housing and retail are all areas where Australians are paying too much, according to Dr Hartwich.

"We are always told we are living in this miracle economy, the envy of the world, the one economy that survived the GFC, and it's all true, but ordinary consumers do not feel they are living in this blessed economy - they actually feel ripped off and overcharged," Dr Hartwich said.

Australia is more expensive than in New Zealand, the UK, France and the US.

I regularly talk to friends who live in Sydney and when I tell them what we pay here they cannot believe the difference.

A poster on this site recently stated that he was returning to live in Australia “ where a dollar is still worth a dollar “ or words to that effect, what he failed to mention was that the dollar doesn’t buy much.

The drop in the exchange rate particularly if you are receiving funds from Australia has made costs higher but for me the only disadvantage is the cost of wine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually it comes back to the average Australian, who only vote for what they believe will affect their  own back pocket. Unable to analyse the political policies, and have had it too good for too long, allowing the economists to rule, without looking at longer term outcomes.

Forgetting we should be living in a community not just an economy  

On 6/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, ThaiBunny said:

Unfortunately the government Medicare rebate has not kept pace with the rapaciousness of the doctors' trade union

I never paid a cent for medicare don't have any private insurance had my heart reset

last year in a top class hospital(public) and never paid anything 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

I never paid a cent for medicare don't have any private insurance had my heart reset

last year in a top class hospital(public) and never paid anything 

I hope your batteries keep going and the pump works ok. good luck.

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

minimum wage is 19.64 per hour

but I'm not sure that equates to a 17 yr old working at Mcdonalds and the in the afternoon go to a cleaning job ...... then tomorrow he empties trash for a couple of hours.

He's going to take home $400-500 bucks ...... so he's not getting $20 per hour ...  your talking rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Sujo said:

I left australia for good 10 years ago. As a single man it was just impossible to find affordable place to live. I used to work in the city but live in suburbs in a unit.

getting $800 a week. $120 for train to work per week. $300 for unit I was lucky to get as I knew the owner otherwise no chance being a single person. Car expenses getting to the train. Food. Utilities. Phone and internet. 

going out was a very rare thing. If having a beer you need to get ripped off in a taxi fare. Stupid laws where leaving your car unlocked gets you a fine of half your wages. They really do find ways to screw you.

i really pity those on a pension. Very sad what the country has become.

So glad I packed up and got out of there. Best move i ever made. 

I live in Perth near the city and pay for a 3 bedroom unit $240