Central Retail steps up plastic bag reduction campaign

webfact

Central Retail steps up plastic bag reduction campaign

By The Phuket News

1559801372_1-org.jpg

Customers pose with cotton bags in Central Phuket. Photo: Central Phuket

PHUKET: Central Retail, led by Central Department Store together with the group’s retail businesses, have stepped up their efforts to reduce plastic bags as of yesterday (June 5) with the start of their ‘Central Love the Earth “Say No to Plastic Bags”’ campaign.

The group says the aim of the campaign is to reduce the number of plastic bags distributed by 150 million in 2019 and to become Thailand’s first plastic bag–free major retailer by the end of the year, despite stating that only 10 of the group’s FamilyMart stores will be plastic-free in that time.

Nicolò Galante, President of Central Retail Corporation, said, “Plastic waste is a global issue which needs to be addressed immediately. Thailand is the world’s sixth biggest contributor of ocean waste, generating almost two million tons of plastic waste each year, or 200 billion plastic bags. Central Retail has announced that we will take environment conservation seriously and proactively. We have come up with ‘Central Love the Earth “Say No to Plastic Bags”’ campaign, which is the biggest campaign of the year, joined by Central Group’s retail businesses.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/central-retail-steps-up-plastic-bag-reduction-campaign-71694.php#KpUPC2w0QULIlgB6.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-06-06

I suppose it's a start but what about all the plastic the food come wrapped in? This morning in 7/11 i buy 2 items of food I refused the plastic bag but to eat the food I've got all the plastic wrapping it come in

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

They need to clamp down on the (Japanese style?) bakeries where they stupidly put every f r i g g i n bun and cake in a separate little plastic bag and then selotape it....Not to mention the queue while they do it! Lord give me strength!!!

Edited by SunsetT