UK PM candidate Gove: rushed no-deal Brexit would give Labour's Corbyn power

webfact

19 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The fact that they're photographed today outside no10 leads me to suspect that they're being taken a little more seriously than you'd have us believe.

Feel free to award this your stamp ????

OK so they did a publicity stunt photo outside of No 10. The Express, a rather pro-Brexit newspaper, has a video of Farage knocking on the door, a police officer opens the door, accepts Farage's letter and then closes the door. 

Farage walks off like a carpet bagger that couldn't get his foot in the door. 

And... The Brexit Party still failed to gain a seat in Parliament despite their claims that Brexit is the 'will of the people'.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, evadgib said:

Having sorted my avatar out what did you make of my post; and what will your new one be now that yours has become surplus to requirements?

I'm no fan of the May - but you Brexit supporters will split the Tory vote and let Jezza in. A Corbyn immigrant loving , pound shredding Labour win has never been more likely. Plus looks like the bookies are backing my October malagateddy bet.

No Deal Brexit?View all oddsView all odds

Anyway it's all Cameron's fault....

Yesterday's by-election result suggests Gove is correct. 

Any moves by the Tories to push a hard Brexit are going to result in a vote of no confidence, collapse of the Tory government and a run off between Labour and The Brexit Party. 

Farage gobbing off about wanting to replace the NHS with an insurance based system, Trump declaring that the NHS must be part of any post Brexit trade deal with the US. 

General Election

Bring it on. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I'm no fan of the May - but you Brexit Boneheads will split the Tory vote and let Jezza in. A Corbyn immigrant loving Labour win has never been more likely. Plus looks like the bookies are backing my October malagateddy bet.

No Deal Brexit?View all oddsView all odds

"Owzat!"

(If only we were occasionally able to join in!)

Edited by evadgib

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

- Downing St doesn't do 'publicity stunts' of the sort alluded to. This would have been a (very) serious meeting by a worried Govt on the back foot facing a ticking clock.

- Brexit remains (no pun intended) the will of the people as everyone will see one way or the other come 31 Oct.

see my odds above - dream on . I'll be 2k richer when I come back to Thailand in the autumn. And malagateddy will be poorer and hopefully wiser. Care for a bet evadgib ?

• Like 1

Just now, evadgib said:

- Downing St doesn't do 'publicity stunts' of the sort alluded to. This would have been a (very) serious meeting by a worried Govt on the back foot facing a ticking clock.

- Brexit remains (no pun intended) the will of the people as everyone will see one way or the other come 31 Oct.

It wasn't a meeting, Farage didn't even manage to get his foot in the door. 

Here's your (very) serious meeting:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1137447/brexit-news-latest-brexit-party-peterborough-by-election-result-EU-tory-leader

Farage looks about as welcome as a Mormon door stepper, and gets about as much shrift. 

4 minutes ago, oilinki said:

By the new rule, which dictates us to, who used the smiling smiley, to express ourselves to say why we did so.

That was both witty and hilarious comment which I applaud! 

I do like those kind of comments, which.. make me smile. Should we always have to explain ourselves, when we use the smiling smiley?

If we think in the long game. I think we should just do that. Let's always say, how we appreciated the smiles. Let's say out loud how we enjoyed the witty comments as well. 

This way, at the end of the day, the rather dark forces, will learn how minority they really are. 

Link to rule?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It wasn't a meeting, Farage didn't even manage to get his foot in the door. 

Here's your (very) serious meeting:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1137447/brexit-news-latest-brexit-party-peterborough-by-election-result-EU-tory-leader

Farage looks about as welcome as a Mormon door stepper, and gets about as much shrift. 

And here's my (very) serious edit:

This was a serious delivery to a worried Govt on the back foot facing a ticking clock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Nah, You'd insist on a re-run when you lost.

No I am an honourable man when it comes to personal integrity. Where , money , my put , is mouth - rearrange the words to make a well known phrase. You know deep in your heart you won't get Brexit. Love lies bleeding...where's Grouse btw ?

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1

Just now, evadgib said:

And here's my (very) serious edit:

Right, so I call you out for your hogwash claim of 'a (very) serious meeting' and your response is to attempt to get away with an edit (AKA changing what you said).

The laughable bit is, having failed to get away with your fake claim of 'a (very) serious meeting' you now want us to swallow your claim that this was a 'serious delivery to a worried Government.....'

I guess that's why Farage was left on the doorstep. 

Do you have any reality based claims we can discuss?

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Right, so I call you out for your hogwash claim of 'a (very) serious meeting' and your response is to attempt to get away with an edit (AKA changing what you said).

The laughable bit is, having failed to get away with your fake claim of 'a (very) serious meeting' you now want us to swallow your claim that this was a 'serious delivery to a worried Government.....'

I guess that's why Farage was left on the doorstep. 

Do you have any reality based claims we can discuss?

Any Tom , Dick or Nigel can hand over a bit of paper to No 10 to go straight in the recycling bin...hopefully the Real Ale one was taken more seriously. 

http://www.jesse4hereford.com/jesse_and_herefordshire_camra_deliver_petition_to_no_10_downing_street

and here's convicted felon Charles Bronson's wife with a lookalike husband handing in her petition. 

Image result for petition 10 downing st

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

The "backstop problem" is a problem for Ireland and the EU, not for the UK. Nobody really considered it at the time of the vote because none of the voters assumed Britain's leaders would dedicate themselves to trying to implement a Brexit that put the interest of the EU over the interests of the UK.

If the UK simply said, "we are not going to institute any form of checks at the border" then the "problem" gets shoved over to Ireland and the EU. Remember, an informal open trade zone with the EU doesn't hurt the UK in any way. The EU are the ones with the incentive to close border. And here they run in to the problem of their member state, Ireland, being violently opposed to such a closing. You think the EU is going to be successful in forcing the Irish Government to divide Ireland again? Of course not. EU would end up coming up with some sort of compromise that appeases Irish Government, which by extension would appease the Nationalists in Northern Ireland. 

In other words, all the UK has to do to get everything it wants with respect to the "backstop problem" is to do absolutely nothing at all. Easiest sort of problem in the world. No surprise May managed to screw it up.    

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/i-was-strong-brexiteer-now-we-must-swallow-our-pride-and-think-again/

But I did not foresee that Brexit would threaten the continued existence of our kingdom as a union. I reckoned without the separatists within our nation who would push us apart, and seize on Brexit (as the Scottish nationalists are doing) as a reason to break up.

I did not foresee how the popularity of our union in Northern Ireland might weaken, if ease of interchange with the Republic were threatened. Like almost everybody else I underestimated the importance of the Good Friday Agreement. And we’ve all misunderstood the Irish question, even though it has loomed so large in our history for the last 500 years.

I did not foresee how one of the biggest arguments against Scottish independence – that Europe would not encourage the break-up of its member states by accepting an independent Scotland as a new member – would be lost after Brexit. I failed to understand how the EU is part of the glue which now holds us together in the United Kingdom.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I don't have one at the moment. That was on either one of the forum discussions, or on private discussion.

I do remember reading it, but can't reproduce it by doing fast search on search engines at the moment, sorry. 

I got reprimanded by giving a 'smile' some time ago. I even got a warning for it. Which later was removed, after appeal. Similar thing happened also later on. 

I'm still fighting for us to be able to give genuine smiles for funny and witty/clever comments. I do not wish the 'smile' to become a way for the nasty people to show their utter contempt. 

Even if my arch enemy makes me smile, by her or his brilliant comment, I'm willing to give her or him a smile. For me, that's always an honour. 

OK so no rule.

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

If I pointed out the colour of the Downing St Cat you'd find something wrong with the answer.

Farage's letter was delivered.

Mission accomplished & action awaited from whoever the next occupant might be

+

Dear Mr Farage

I have been instructed by the Prime Minister to acknowledge your letter of 7th June. The contents have been duly noted.

Yours sincerely 

A. Lowly Civil Servant

No 10 Correspondence Unit

ps. f'off

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

If I pointed out the colour of the Downing St Cat you'd find something wrong with the answer.

Farage's letter was delivered.

Mission accomplished & action awaited from whoever the next occupant might be

+

No, if you told me the cat was a (very) serious shade of pink when in fact it was not, I'd have a problem. Yes, Farage's letter was delivered, but there was no '(Very) serious meeting'. Have the good grace to admit when you are wrong. 

The most interesting thing about Gove's comment is he's clearly trying to put space between himself and Alexander Boris (man of the people) de Pfeffl Johnson. 

Not so much that he's putting space between himself and that clown, rather the space he has chosen - Not Hard Brexit AND delay.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The most interesting thing about Gove's comment is he's clearly trying to put space between himself and Alexander Boris (man of the people) de Pfeffl Johnson. 

Not so much that he's putting space between himself and that clown, rather the space he has chosen - Not Hard Brexit AND delay.

If Boris wins then a few of the Tory Remain MP's who are facing deselection have nothing to fear in backing a vote of no confidence Grieve for instance - country over party. Then they will fall and then.......Brexit Party / Tory Mexican standoff and a rout on the right.  Hopefully, a remain / rigged referendum@ coalition and we stay in. 

@Rigged referendum - have a threshold rule  - constitutional change and all that so Leave can't possibly win. 

4 minutes ago, oilinki said:

No, there was definitely a new de facto defined rule. Let me find it for you.

This might take a while though.

Anyway, this rule should work well for people who tend to stand for liberal values and who wish that the words said here should be accountable. 

I'm now doing my best to find out the public source of the said rule. 

Let me give you a helping hand:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/terms/

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No, if you told me the cat was a (very) serious shade of pink when in fact it was not, I'd have a problem. Yes, Farage's letter was delivered, but there was no '(Very) serious meeting'. Have the good grace to admit when you are wrong. 

The speed of events resulted in a minor error that was quickly corrected therefore no admission is necessary but i'm not altogether surprised that you are once again claiming the moral high ground & trying to milk the situation for your personal satisfaction. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The speed of events resulted in a minor error that was quickly corrected therefore no admission is necessary but i'm not altogether surprised that you are once again claiming the moral high ground & trying to milk the situation for your personal satisfaction. 

I'm not claiming the moral high ground evadgib, you handed it to me by making stuff up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

555 like all Brexitteers they huff and they puff and then they walk away when there's real work to be done rather than grandstanding with cheap soundbites and outright lies. Always someone else's fault. The only fools are those that believe a No Deal will lead to a land of milk and honey. You still don't get it do you Dyson - moved to Singapore, JRM moved his funds to Dublin, Redwood tells his investors not to back Britain essentially. A rich cabal of the elites they profess to despise are gaming the UK for their own ends. 

Have a read again of Peter Oborne - an arch leaver who saw sense and ask yourself who is the fool? Let me summarise his bullets points for those that have a problem reading a few pages.  It's no coincidence that the English football hooligans have a new pro-Brexit chant as they cause mayhem in hapless Portugal and Stephen Yaxley-CokeHead Lennon throws a punch at a fan. 

• I was a strong Brexiteer. Now we must swallow our pride and think again
  • There’s zero chance of a sensible Brexit amidst the pandemonium and hysteria at Westminster just now
  • The economic arguments for Brexit have been destroyed by a series of shattering blows
  • Economic disaster
  • Britain’s departure from the EU will be as great a disaster for our country as the over-mighty unions were in the 1960s and 1970s
  • When hedge-fund managers and the Communist Party see eye-to-eye on any question, it’s time to be concerned
  • Well done Britain for challenging remote oligarchs based in Brussels
  • The European Union is not a dictatorship
  • The UK will be weaker and more isolated
  • Like almost everybody else I underestimated the importance of the Good Friday Agreement
  • Phrases such as 'vassal state', 'empire' and 'supplicant' do not even remotely characterise our relation with Europe

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/i-was-strong-brexiteer-now-we-must-swallow-our-pride-and-think-again/

Quoting myself I must be bored....Oborne is the Elephant in the Room for Leavers. Impeccable Leaver credentials and the intellectual clout to examine the position honestly and with integrity rather than ploughing on madly into the oncoming storm. Note not one Leaver comes on to rebut his careful arguments because they can't so it's back to sloganeering, platitudes and empty bluster to cover the fact that the Leave Emperor has No Clothes. 

Image result for remain means remain

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I'm not claiming the moral high ground evadgib, you handed it to me by making stuff up.

Who was the first person to discover this & what did he think he was doing at the time? ????

image.jpeg.dd11881bc47a5c3a593a4d32f1ce7ffe.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Problem for Gove is that I don't think most people find the prospect of a Corbyn led government all that horrifying. From a Brexit Party Perspective, he'd be far better the current situation. Under Corbyn you at least get restored relations with Russia and Assange released- two things that would please most Brexit voters. Otherwise he'd probably be an unpopular mess of a leader that would allow Breixit Party to make further gains at the expense of the Tories, which is clearly a necessary prerequisite to implementing eventual Brexit. Only folks that would suffer from a Corbyn Government are the Tories themselves.