MasterCard from Bangkok bank

I have a visa ATM /debit card from bkk bank.. In a few months I'll be taking a short trip to the US.. I want to change the visa card for a mastercard debit card.. My question is can I use the MasterCard in the US to rent a car or pay for a hotel or will I have a problem because the card was issued in Thailand.. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks 

usually for car hire you need a CREDIT card because they will block some money as guarantee, the other thing is there is no name on the card so maybe the hotels will refuse to accept it, besides this no issue you can use it wordlwide

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kralledr said:

usually for car hire you need a CREDIT card because they will block some money as guarantee, the other thing is there is no name on the card so maybe the hotels will refuse to accept it, besides this no issue you can use it wordlwide

I have a visa card from krungthai bank with my name on it, you only have to ask, every bank can give you, take about 1 week to get it.

• Like 2

BKK Bank will not issue credit cart to falangs unless falang. work for Thai company and the card is issued under the auspices of that company in Thailand.  they don't trust us even though we have big money in their bank.  i have been over this with them.  i pulled out a couple of Visa cards issued in the States and said big money credit limit no problem. but i have excellent credit in the States. but no such system here.  they figure we are a credit risk and could skip town.  they will only give you debit/Master card, but this is not a credit card and is only limited to the  available funds in your account.  

Edited by malibukid

Bangkok Bank, or most any Thai bank, will issue a "secured" credit card to a farang no problem.  However, issue of a  secured credit card card is back up by a locked deposit as collateral.   Like a Bt100K deposit would get you a credit card with a Bt100K limit....the secured credit card will works exactly the same as an unsecured credit card.

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

BKK Bank will not issue credit cart to falangs unless falang. work for Thai company and the card is issued under the auspices of that company in Thailand.  they don't trust us even though we have big money in their bank.

Unless the policy has changed Bangkok Bank has given me Visa and Mastercard credit cards. I have a so called retirement visa and have never worked in Thailand.

Need to open a deposit account that covers the credit limit; maybe that's what the poster means by Bangkok Bank not trusting us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, malibukid said:

BKK Bank will not issue credit cart to falangs unless falang. work for Thai company and the card is issued under the auspices of that company in Thailand.  they don't trust us even though we have big money in their bank.  i have been over this with them.  i pulled out a couple of Visa cards issued in the States and said big money credit limit no problem. but i have excellent credit in the States. but no such system here.  they figure we are a credit risk and could skip town.  they will only give you debit/Master card, but this is not a credit card and is only limited to the  available funds in your account.  

Absolute nonsense. I am retired and have a BBL Visa and Mastercard credit card in addition to Debit card. 

21 hours ago, malibukid said:

That’s not true, both my wife and I have held both Visa and Master Card credit cards in our own names issued by the Bangkok Bank, for several years.

Neither of us are employed by a Thai company or in fact any other company.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:51 PM, malibukid said:

are you sure?....

i have 2 mastercard CREDIT cards from bkk bank and i do NOT work