Pains Near Liver Area

coldcrush

Hiya Al;l,

for some years now i have daily had pains near or around my liver area. I have had all blood test, all clear, ulstrasounds, all clear. I have avoided getting an endescopy as I could not swallow the camera the 1st time. I now have decided this has gone to far and am getting one on the 23rd.

Ok a little bit of the symptoms are, pains, alot more after drinking alcohol, mainly the day after. Spice or over eating may trigger it it seems, Thats about it, sometimes it comes when non of these things are involved.

I would like to know what you think it could be? I will post the findings on the Doctors examination.

Thanks All

Edited by lopburiguy

No yellowing of the eyes, however seems an interesting diagnosis lamphun. I have been tested for Hep B/C as well that is all clear.

The cyst has been mentioned before, as it can cause acid int the stomach which I get time to time. However I was checked for parasites, nothing come through as yet!

The prize will be "A box of your dead clever".

Thanks for reply.

Edited by lopburiguy

You beat me to it. I had pancreatitis once, the pain was indescribable due to bile stones falling into my common bile duct. Ouch.

I had an endoscopy and just to set your mind at rest, the hypnotic I was given before hand (sedation) means that I can't remember a thing about it.

Good luck, it is best to sort it out.

gall bladder problems , erosion of the stomach lining due to the presence of helicobacter , gastric reflux .

an endoscopy is nothing to fear , as leisurely said , they use sedation beforehand and you will drift into blissful slumber staring into the eyes of a beautiful nurse.

You say you have had a full range of ultrasound and blood work, that would rule out both gall bladdder problem (stones and/or inflammation) and pancreatitis. Also rules out any sort of mass (cyst, fluke etc) in the liver.

All that's left is gastric or duodenal inflammation and/or ulcer. Endoscopy will tell. Other option would be a trial of drugs which reduce acidity such as the proton pump inhibitors.

If I'm right, you'll need a course of drug therapy and to stop drinking...altogether for a while and then if you must resume, in much lower quantities.

Ok a little bit of the symptoms are, pains, alot more after drinking alcohol, mainly the day after. Spice or over eating may trigger it it seems, Thats about it, sometimes it comes when non of these things are involved.

Sounds very simililar to symptoms I sometimes experience, especially after several days of neat spirit drinking, and too many spicy meals or drinking wine at lunchtimes. I have it down to an inflamation somewhere in the gastric tract.

I take anti-acid tablets containing Aluminium Hydroxide and Simethicone (Polysilane, or Boots generics) for a few days and keep off the spirits and wine (beer and weak G&Ts OK) and things clear up pretty fast.

I have also noticed that the symptoms are more likely to reocurr after a bit of tummy trouble from food poisoning.

After having liver tests and scans I am now pretty sure that the warm feelings I sometimes get near the liver area are related to the digestive system . I have therefore learned to live with it and moderate the causative agents when necessary.

Hope this helps.

Edited by rak sa_ngop

You say you have had a full range of ultrasound and blood work, that would rule out both gall bladdder problem (stones and/or inflammation) and pancreatitis. Also rules out any sort of mass (cyst, fluke etc) in the liver.

All that's left is gastric or duodenal inflammation and/or ulcer. Endoscopy will tell. Other option would be a trial of drugs which reduce acidity such as the proton pump inhibitors.

If I'm right, you'll need a course of drug therapy and to stop drinking...altogether for a while and then if you must resume, in much lower quantities.

The OPs are very close, however as this post states I have had blood tests and ultrasounds which do just about rule out liver, Gall bladder, etc. It could be leaning towards a duodenal ulcer, however I have had 5 different inhibitors to stop an ulcer, it relives then the pain comes back same as before?

I am also on the wagon now, so we will see if it is alcohol related, I do stop drinking for long periods and that has not helped fully either.

Thanks for replies, it is very interesting how close some people are in relation to what I have had and been told I have by Doctors before.

:o

Sounds very simililar to symptoms I sometimes experience, especially after several days of neat spirit drinking, and too many spicy meals or drinking wine at lunchtimes. I have it down to an inflamation somewhere in the gastric tract.

I take anti-acid tablets containing Aluminium Hydroxide and Simethicone (Polysilane, or Boots generics) for a few days and keep off the spirits and wine (beer and weak G&Ts OK) and things clear up pretty fast.

I have also noticed that the symptoms are more likely to reocurr after a bit of tummy trouble from food poisoning.

After having liver tests and scans I am now pretty sure that the warm feelings I sometimes get near the liver area are related to the digestive system . I have therefore learned to live with it and moderate the causative agents when necessary.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

This post is also is also interesting. However do you have alot of pain in the liver area? I can go with the wine thing, one day I drunk wine and the acid became unbearble, like I was going to pop out my mouth. This did bot affect the pain tho.

I do still believe, maybe in hope that it is something gastric, however four years of pain seems alot of time to have it when I have took all remedies in that area.

Edited by lopburiguy

My partner had the same symtoms and tests, nothing wrong, until they did the camera thing and hello, peptic ulcer. He took some pills and had to change his diet. No fizzy drinks, spices nuts fat you name it he had to give it up. He has not drunk spirits for years but still has a few coldies. Things have got better now although if he eats pizza or anything else with high levels of acid or fat he still has pain for a while. We were told it could take some time for the thing to clear up.

The OPs are very close, however as this post states I have had blood tests and ultrasounds which do just about rule out liver, Gall bladder, etc. It could be leaning towards a duodenal ulcer, however I have had 5 different inhibitors to stop an ulcer, it relives then the pain comes back same as before?

I am also on the wagon now, so we will see if it is alcohol related, I do stop drinking for long periods and that has not helped fully either.

Thanks for replies, it is very interesting how close some people are in relation to what I have had and been told I have by Doctors before.

If the PPIs bring pain relief, even temporarily, this tends to confirm that it is either an ulcer or gatritis/duodenitis...probably ulcer given the severity and fact that the pain returns when you stop the medication. Ulcers can take quite a while to heal. Also, you may need to be treated for heliobacter infection. Have the endoscopy, it will give a definitive diagnosis.

Hiya Sheryl,

its seems to be the common diagnosis. Lets hope I did not leave it to long. Anyway will no soon enough. I can feel a diet change coming on, no beer, no chillis, life will never be the same again!

Thanks for all replies.

Hi all,

results as promised. There are no winners at present. Had the Spray on the back of throat yukkkkkkkk! Then the large dildo dropped down the throat! Squsihhhhhh...

The results on check were....nothing unusual! No ulcer, no nothing! So why pains...blood normal, ultrasound normal, endescopy normal! <deleted>. I eat or drink and it gets worse, thats what i know, also hurts when stressed. It was ringing with the signs "ulcer" but no...I am lost. Anyway they want me back to take me through other options.

Thanks for all your help posters. :o