Retirement Visa

Again good points.
Recent thread of someone obtaining medical check requiring blood tests etc. Mine and other members was just a stamp and sign. Best to shop around for "normal" quack.
The police check in AU can take 14-20 working days. 

Although, I do have to say that, my tip for getting the medical certificate done in Thailand and accepted by the Thai Embassy in your home country only applies to the London Thai Embassy and as the OP is from the US should probably be discounted.

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He will be given 12 months upon entry with oa visa. The wasted 5 months is more about max out the almost 2 yr stay if needed by reenter just before OA expire date.

It’s not cheap so why not get the max 2 years is what I’m saying 

7 minutes ago, joez said:

If the health insurance thing goes through anybody know if they would except my Blue Cross from here? I get lifetime coverage through my retirement. I mean if I needed any prolonged medical treatment I would fly back to the States anyway. I guess unless I got shot or something, lol.

Sadly it does not seem that will be the case (if implemented). Thai have added requirement of outpatient care. Might be difficult to include with some "home" insurance companies. Some members think this is a Thai conspiracy theory to put more money into the economy. Surely no country would do that. 55555.

If the health insurance thing goes through anybody know if they would except my Blue Cross from here? I get lifetime coverage through my retirement. I mean if I needed any prolonged medical treatment I would fly back to the States anyway. I guess unless I got shot or something, lol.

Initial reports about the mandatory health insurance for OA suggested that health plans from outside Thailand MAY be accepted.
If you have at least 400k baht inpatient and 40k baht outpatient then you have a good chance.

It’s all up in the air at the moment and I believe it was only a proposal ( could be wrong ).

Really have to wait until July to see what happens.
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, joez said:

Ok, I didn't mean this second, I can wait a little. But I at least need a 2-3 months cushion to make sure I get it first and then I have stuff to do here before I leave.

If you have what’s needed you must know by now, so do the stuff first get your medical and police check then apply and leave ,5 months might not sound important now but when your extension time comes around in the future you will appreciate that 5 months extra

• Like 1

Ok, thanks everybody for the help. Back to my original post, i'm only looking to stay for a year. Based on this, I'll apply for the Visa now this way I know I won't need the health insurance and I already meet the other requirements. I should get it in a few weeks and i'm set. Ill go in November and get my full year stamped and i'm good. I'll only have to do the 90 day thing 3 times if I only stay the year, which is no big deal. The Washington DC embassy seems the easiest here. All the embassy's here ask for the same basic stuff but some have different rules, 4 copies, notarized etc... DC only asks for 2 copies of the applications, plus the bank and background stuff etc..., and they do it by mail.

Edited by joez
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Peckerhead said:

....If I rent a condo the TM30 is sorted by the person/company  I rent from?

The should do so but many don't, especially if rented from a private person rather than management company.

It only matters if you subsequently seek an extension of stay.

If you think you might do that, make the TM30 reporting a criteria for your rental and if possible rent through management co rather than private individual. Alternatively you can also file the TM3o yourself as "possessor" of the residence.

Hotels report guests so if in a hotel, no worry.

Ok, thanks everybody for the help. Back to my original post, i'm only looking to stay for a year. Based on this, I'll apply for the Visa now this way I know I won't need the health insurance and I already meet the other requirements. I should get it in a few weeks and i'm set. Ill go in November and get my full year stamped and i'm good. I'll only have to do the 90 day thing 3 times if I only stay the year, which is no big deal. The Washington DC embassy seems the easiest here. All the embassy's here ask for the same basic stuff but some have different rules, 4 copies, notarized etc... DC only asks for 2 copies of the applications, plus the bank and background stuff etc..., and they do it by mail.

I have bought a non imm o-a multi entry visa via the LA Thai Consulate several times over the past few years by mail, and have never had a problem. Each time it took pretty much precisely two weeks from me mailing to return of my passport with the visa. Whichever one you use, I suggest you follow the requirements from the website for that specific Consulate or Embassy to avoiding conflicting instructions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, joez said:

There are quite a lot of things that could happen wherein flying all the way to teh US for treatment would not be feasible:

car/motorcycle accident (very common here)

other accident

heart attack

stroke

and many more.

Traveling back to the Us for care is feasible for something like cancer treatment but not for acute injuries or illnesses, at least not without some initial care and stabilization first. Airlines may refuse to allow a sick or injured person to fly, and with good reason -- they don't want to risk having a flight diverted due to a medical emergency, and mid-flight over the Pacific or Norht Pole is no place to have one. Flying with medical accompaniment/equipment is very costly.

Check your BC policy. Many will cover emergencies while traveling abroad (but also check to see if there is a time limit on travelling for how long).

if it will not cover you then you should take out travel insurance. I'm pretty sure BC offers it and since your main insurance is with them that might be good option.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Sadly it does not seem that will be the case (if implemented). Thai have added requirement of outpatient care. Might be difficult to include with some "home" insurance companies. Some members think this is a Thai conspiracy theory to put more money into the economy. Surely no country would do that. 55555.

US insurance will almost always include outpatient already as outpatient care in the US is very costly.

Initial public statements about the upcoming O-A insurance requirement are that international policies will be accepted.

However, they would presumably require that the policy cover care in Thailand and that would be a issue with many home country policies (as opposed to expat policies or travel policy  issued out of a western country).

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

US insurance will almost always include outpatient already as outpatient care in the US is very costly.

Initial public statements about the upcoming O-A insurance requirement are that international policies will be accepted.

However, they would presumably require that the policy cover care in Thailand and that would be a issue with many home country policies (as opposed to expat policies or travel policy  issued out of a western country).

Very true Sheryl. I'm au and while I have not looked into it, I'm aware that even our travel insurance excludes many things. Important one often motorcycles. I'm not a fan of knocking country I'm a guest in but isn't Thailand #2 in world for road deaths?

15 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

I have bought a non imm o-a multi entry visa via the LA Thai Consulate several times over the past few years by mail, and have never had a problem. Each time it took pretty much precisely two weeks from me mailing to return of my passport with the visa. Whichever one you use, I suggest you follow the requirements from the website for that specific Consulate or Embassy to avoiding conflicting instructions.

LA wants 4 copies plus notarized it's going to be hard enough finding a DR to sign that form. They expect me to have a notary there with me when he signs? Lol. DC only wants 2 copies nothing says notarized, IDK, I'll do what they ask, all they can do is deny the application.

35 minutes ago, joez said:

Back to my original post, i'm only looking to stay for a year. Based on this, I'll apply for the Visa now this way I know I won't need the health insurance and I already meet the other requirements.

The period of visa validity is different from the period of stayVisa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The period of visa validity is different from the period of stayVisa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. 

Yes I get that part, the lingering question now appears to be the health insurance requirement If I wait until July. If I apply now I don't need it. If the Visa comes and says I have to enter within 3 months then I'll go before the 3 months is up, I'll have no choice. If it's longer then I'll wait.

Edited by joez

18 hours ago, joez said:

And secondly with this 90 day reporting to show your address. If I bounce around the whole time in different cities or hotels with different addresses, will they have a problem with this?

Thailand tracks the movement of foreigners.

There are procedures in place and to follow if you don't want to encounter problems or fines.

If you stay in a hotel, they should report your arrival and departure on a form known as a TM30.

If you stay in a Condo or private residence, then it is the responsibility of the owner, house master, or the possessor (you) of the residence to file the TM30.

You should therefore establish who is taking responsibility for this action before taking occupation.

You can only submit 90 day reports at an Immigration office within the Province of your registered address.

If you move around Thailand, it's important your address is notified at each residence, otherwise Immigration may refuse your 90 day report, and issue a fine for non compliance of the law.

Although hotels are familiar with these requirement, many owners of private residential accommodation are not. The TM30 should also be filed within 24 hours of your arrival at the property.

22 minutes ago, joez said:

Yes I get that part, the lingering question now appears to be the health insurance requirement If I wait until July. If I apply now I don't need it. If the Visa comes and says I have to enter within 3 months then I'll go before the 3 months is up, I'll have no choice. If it's longer then I'll wait.

The Non Imm O-A Visa is valid for 1 year.

If it was issued on say 20th June, it will have an 'enter before' date of 19th June 2020.

On each entry from a Non Imm O-A Visa you will be granted permission to stay for 1 year.

The Visa is multiple entries until the 'enter before' date, when it expires.

If you wanted to stay in Thailand longer, then if you do an exit/re-entry just before, on the 'enter before' date, you will be granted permission to stay for another year.

However when the Visa expires, so does the multi entry condition.

If you wish to leave and re-enter after the Visa expires, but whilst still having permission to stay, you can purchase a re-entry permit from a local Immigration office (single 1,000, multiple 3,800 BHT).

This allows you to exit and on re-entry you'll be granted permission to remain to the same date as your previous entry stamp.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, joez said:

Ok, thanks everybody for the help. Back to my original post, i'm only looking to stay for a year. Based on this, I'll apply for the Visa now this way I know I won't need the health insurance and I already meet the other requirements.

This would have been my choice as well. Losing six months seems preferable than dealing with the mandatory insurance headache if it goes ahead, and also sidesteps problems that might arise when they introduce the new e-visa system slated for this month. With a border run just before the visa expires (next June if you get it right away) you'd be able to get until June 2021 from the visa.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Thailand tracks the movement of foreigners.

There are procedures in place and to follow if you don't want to encounter problems or fines.

If you stay in a hotel, they should report your arrival and departure on a form known as a TM30.

If you stay in a Condo or private residence, then it is the responsibility of the owner, house master, or the possessor (you) of the residence to file the TM30.

You should therefore establish who is taking responsibility for this action before taking occupation.

You can only submit 90 day reports at an Immigration office within the Province of your registered address.

If you move around Thailand, it's important your address is notified at each residence, otherwise Immigration may refuse your 90 day report, and issue a fine for non compliance of the law.

Although hotels are familiar with these requirement, many owners of private residential accommodation are not. The TM30 should also be filed within 24 hours of your arrival at the property.

I'll do whatever they want me to do, i'm not looking to get over. I'll report once a month if they wanted, not like I have anything else to do.

2 minutes ago, joez said:

I'll do whatever they want me to do, i'm not looking to get over. I'll report once a month if they wanted, not like I have anything else to do.

'They' don't tell you what to do, only that it wasn't done.

As the foreigner 'you' need to know what is required.

Immigration won't show any leniency for ignorance of the law.

Foreigners are commonly fined at Immigration offices because a TM30 wasn't filed.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

'They' don't tell you what to do, only that it wasn't done.

As the foreigner 'you' need to know what is required.

Immigration won't show any leniency for ignorance of the law.

Foreigners are commonly fined at Immigration offices because a TM30 wasn't filed.

Ok well you just told me what to do, so i know now.

OP, you will get various advice. IMO you only need to submit a tm30 if your going to visit immigration. For example extensions etc. Your obtaining an O-A. apart from your 90 day reports you will have no reason to go to imm. Even those can be done online. 

Your reentry permit, if required can be obtained at airport. Best listen to more experienced folk than myself.

For example I'm typing this from Saigon. Back Monday. I won't do a tm30. I need visit bkk immigration Oct for extension. I will be doing a tm30 upon reentry from my last trip away from "home address" be that within los or out. If I did a tm30 "by the rules", I would be doing a couple per week. 

• Like 1

OP, you will get various advice. IMO you only need to submit a tm30 if your going to visit immigration. For example extensions etc. Your obtaining an O-A. apart from your 90 day reports you will have no reason to go to imm. Even those can be done online. 

Your reentry permit, if required can be obtained at airport. Best listen to more experienced folk than myself.

For example I'm typing this from Saigon. Back Monday. I won't do a tm30. I need visit bkk immigration Oct for extension. I will be doing a tm30 upon reentry from my last trip away from "home address" be that within los or out. If I did a tm30 "by the rules", I would be doing a couple per week. 

I highly recommend the OP complete the tm30 within 24 hours of entering the country or he may find himself being fined when he completes his first 90 day report, which must be accomplished in person.

On 6/8/2019 at 3:40 AM, joez said:

Now once in Thailand do I have to open a Thai Bank account? Or can I keep my direct deposits going into my US Bank account? And secondly with this 90 day reporting to show your address. If I bounce around the whole time in different cities or hotels with different addresses, will they have a problem with this?

If you get an O-A visa from the US, there is no need for bank account in Thailand. Technically, you are supposed to report your address if you stay consecutively 90-day inside Thailand. If you don't and get caught in an immigration raid and your address don't match the address in the immigration system, you may be fined but no gulag for not reporting. There is also no check during ext from Thailand. 

1 hour ago, SpokaneAl said:

I highly recommend the OP complete the tm30 within 24 hours of entering the country or he may find himself being fined when he completes his first 90 day report, which must be accomplished in person.

Your saying 90 day report must be done at imm office? I have never done one so not giving hard time re your post. I thought they could be done online?

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your saying 90 day report must be done at imm office? I have never done one so not giving hard time re your post. I thought they could be done online?

They can be done online or by post, but if you do it online it is your local IO that approve it.

What SpokeaneAl is stating, if when you enter Thailand for the very first time, if you don't do your first 90 day in person, Copy of Passport, copy of Visa, copy of entry stamp, copy of TM6, proof of address, such as copy of landlords Tabien Baan and ID card ………. then your local IO won't have a file on you, or know who you are …….. so the very first 90 day will be refused with the message to 'contact your IO'.

They need copies of your documents to create a file.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

They can be done online or by post, but if you do it online it is your local IO that approve it.

What SpokeaneAl is stating, if when you enter Thailand for the very first time, if you don't do your first 90 day in person, Copy of Passport, copy of Visa, copy of entry stamp, copy of TM6, proof of address, such as copy of landlords Tabien Baan and ID card ………. then your local IO won't have a file on you, or know who you are …….. so the very first 90 day will be refused with the message to 'contact your IO'.

They need copies of your documents to create a file.

Ha...getting bored with stating your advice to members is spot on. I have tunnel vision due to living in bkk. Fortunately I never had to do  90 day report. Even in the sticks I would imagine a 90 day report could be a long return trip.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Initial reports about the mandatory health insurance for OA suggested that health plans from outside Thailand MAY be accepted.

You would expect so, as the only place you can apply for the Visa will be outside Thailand. I have seen tailored policies from International providers that match the requirements being marketed to people in Thailand, as if it was an internal requirement, though.