Good back doctor?

banagan

Dependent on yr problem u may indeed need a doctor but don’t overlook the power of an anti inflammatory like Voltaren which will often break a continuing cycle of pain and spasm in short order. Take with food.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If you need a physiotherapist rather than a doctor. Very good ones at Rajavej Hospital and one that works privately on Chiang Moi Road.

I am not sure if you can book a physio at Rajavej Hospital without referral from a doctor. But they also have a very good orthopedic doctor at Rajavej. Sorry don't know his name but he is there every Monday morning in A& E

I have had alot of pain in my hip and lower back for 7yrs now( motorbike accident/130 kg slammed down on my leg!)
Being from a family line of rugby players,i tend not to complain too much.
If i stand still for to long,i have to crouch down to alleviate it( i dont half get some funny looks in the airport cues[emoji2]also if i walk a long distance i have to stop sometimes and sit down for a moment.
Have tried tramadol,codeine,only works for a couple of hrs and i don’t want to get too used to them.i don’t like hospitals so an opp is out of the question.oh well som nun na,i guess i will have to grin and bear it
( with the occasional help from my 2 trusted friends that is [emoji2] .
I guess i must be a bit old school !

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's a long time issue, lower and mid back, very stiff after exercise, and after sitting down for a while. Also muscle spasms... Not sure if it's the muscles or the spine, had an x Ray years ago, said my spine was ok, doesn't feel ok. Would rather not mask with pain killers, just want an expert to tell me exactly what the issue is. Cheers.

35 minutes ago, banagan said:

It's a long time issue, lower and mid back, very stiff after exercise, and after sitting down for a while. Also muscle spasms... Not sure if it's the muscles or the spine, had an x Ray years ago, said my spine was ok, doesn't feel ok. Would rather not mask with pain killers, just want an expert to tell me exactly what the issue is. Cheers.

Would recommend seeing the doctor at Rajavej to try and diagnose the problem. Then if you need physio. get him to book you into the physio dept of the hospital. They are excellent.

Xrays show bone troubles only.  MRI will show some soft tissue stuff.  Do not think that medical science will surely find, diagnose, the source of your problem.  Your personal history, including your genes, may be the root source of the troubles but these cannot be changed.  Best to continue with the search but be cautious of simple solutions as doctors need income too.

Many folks get back pain and stiffness as they age.  Are you getting older?

6 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Dependent on yr problem u may indeed need a doctor but don’t overlook the power of an anti inflammatory like Voltaren which will often break a continuing cycle of pain and spasm in short order. Take with food.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Voltaren Gel has two black box warnings that are common to all NSAIDs. The first is that, as with other NSAIDs, there may be an increased risk of serious or possibly fatal cardiovascular events, heart attack, or stroke with the use of Voltaren Gel. These can happen without warning.Mar 22, 2019

people believe nsaids the cure all of pain but they are far from harmless. 

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Voltaren Gel has two black box warnings that are common to all NSAIDs. The first is that, as with other NSAIDs, there may be an increased risk of serious or possibly fatal cardiovascular events, heart attack, or stroke with the use of Voltaren Gel. These can happen without warning.Mar 22, 2019

i posted something similar about  medicines in the flouroquinolone group (also black box warning) and was dismissed as very very unlikely (small percentage) by one of the resident experts .  Those of us who are IMO justifiably scared of some of these drugs are in the great minority.  It takes a lot more effort to adhere to "natural" protocols for the time it takes for them to work.  

An excellent Orthopedic doctor is Dr. Chanakarn. He is considered the best in C.M. and one of the best in Thailand. He has a clinic around the corner from Rajavej Hospital. Very nice person.

As has been said, the PT Dept. at Rajavej is excellent.

If you need a chiropractor, Dr. Philip Parry sees patients I think twice a month. There is also a new chiropractor in town. He is a Thai doctor originally from Chiang Mai who went to America to practice. He has returned to C.M. and is seeing patients and is getting good reviews.

May I recommend Khun Noy who has her own clinic on Chiang Moi Rd.

https://sites.google.com/site/physiotherapywaterclass/

She has a Masters Degree from Mahidol Uni in BKK and is an Assistant Professor in the Physical Education Dept of CM Uni.

Noy speak excellent English amd is a People Person, she wants to help folk 'Hands On'.

I know people who swear Noy has saved their life following Strokes/Heart Attack.

john 

Numbness in the legs after standing or walking is caused by stenosis in the lower spine - narrowing in the spinal column that causes the spinal fluid to be cutoff when in certain positions. Go to the bumramgrad hospital (in bangkok) website. they have a complete description of it and other spinal symptoms, injuries, and treatments. It needs endoscopic spinal surgery. the only hospital that does endoscopic spinal surgery in chiang mai is suan duk. In bangkok, both bumramgrad and ramathibodi have the equipment and spinal docs that can treat. you can walk immediately after surgery w no stay or 1 night. other spinal docs in cm can do spinal surgery, but not endoscopic, so hospital stay is longer and more complicated surgery.

4 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

rare and usually involves undiagnosed issues. Without these drugs people would end up depressed from being housebound

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

An excellent Orthopedic doctor is Dr. Chanakarn. He is considered the best in C.M. and one of the best in Thailand. He has a clinic around the corner from Rajavej Hospital. Very nice person.

As has been said, the PT Dept. at Rajavej is excellent.

If you need a chiropractor, Dr. Philip Parry sees patients I think twice a month. There is also a new chiropractor in town. He is a Thai doctor originally from Chiang Mai who went to America to practice. He has returned to C.M. and is seeing patients and is getting good reviews.

Thanks, will check him out.

20 minutes ago, Rama said:

Numbness in the legs after standing or walking is caused by stenosis in the lower spine - narrowing in the spinal column that causes the spinal fluid to be cutoff when in certain positions. Go to the bumramgrad hospital (in bangkok) website. they have a complete description of it and other spinal symptoms, injuries, and treatments. It needs endoscopic spinal surgery. the only hospital that does endoscopic spinal surgery in chiang mai is suan duk. In bangkok, both bumramgrad and ramathibodi have the equipment and spinal docs that can treat. you can walk immediately after surgery w no stay or 1 night. other spinal docs in cm can do spinal surgery, but not endoscopic, so hospital stay is longer and more complicated surgery.

No numbness in legs, just the mid back siezes up, and takes a minute to loosen up. This is usually after lots of exercise the day before. I am stretching.

If you have an e-book account, I highly recommend 'No More Aching Back' by Dr. Leon Root.

This man is IMO THE guru of self healing for back problems, without surgery or medication. I used his earlier release, 'Oh My Aching Back' to cure myself of excruciating lower back and sciatic pain simply by following his exercise routines.

That was over 20 years ago and whenever I notice the slightest twinge, I immediately restart the routine which I have never forgotten. And only takes 15 minutes a day.

9 hours ago, banagan said:

No numbness in legs, just the mid back siezes up, and takes a minute to loosen up. This is usually after lots of exercise the day before. I am stretching.

If your in good shape & this as you describe is just after effect you might also consider

Mungkala Clinic for accupuncture

The doctor there helped my similar problem & even sciatica I once had.

https://www.mungkala.com/index.php/english

17 hours ago, rumak said:

i posted something similar about  medicines in the flouroquinolone group (also black box warning) and was dismissed as very very unlikely (small percentage) by one of the resident experts .  Those of us who are IMO justifiably scared of some of these drugs are in the great minority.  It takes a lot more effort to adhere to "natural" protocols for the time it takes for them to work.  

I am very careful when using nsaids or Tylenol (poisonous to the liver). Doctors don't want people to stop taking these chemicals because there's very little else available for chronic pain. I also believe that there are more cases of harm that are not reported or misreported, problems that are being attributed to previous conditions instead of the ill effects of these chemicals. Personally I lean on gluco and fish oil for my inflammation related discomforts but it doesn't seem effective for all. The world population would be a lot healthier if they gave up on tylenol and nsaids, hopefully research now allowed on CBDs in certain countries will usher in a new era of safe pain relievers.

16 hours ago, madmen said:

rare and usually involves undiagnosed issues. Without these drugs people would end up depressed from being housebound

I believe the incidences of harm are under reported. Nsaids  are a big industry and a huge moneymaker especially when opioids have been so demonized due to the 10 -20 percent of us that have problems with them. Nsaids are the medical professions replacement for those drugs that should of been only for acute pain anyway. The doctors issuing opioids for chronic pain shot themselves in the foot but now it's the patients that will suffer. I agree, without these nsaids, there would be a lot of people unable to get around. Hopefully the relaxation on cannabis will spur more research on safer pain meds, because the longer you take nsaids the more chance you can have an issue. That's the crux of the problem, nsaids are used for both chronic and acute pain so they're usually taken on a long term basis which greatly increases the probability of fatal side effects.

Moved to Health forum.

For a potential back issu1e you want a spinal specilaist as opposed to general orthopedist. There are only a handful of them in CM as follows:

https://www.bangkokhospital-chiangmai.com/en/doctor/dr-nantawit-sugandhavesa/

can also be seen at Sripat and will cost less there

Torpong Bunmaprasert - Sripat (UK trained)

Archived