King Power in line to manage duty free, commercial areas at leading provincial international airports

webfact

17 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Land of Scams especially when it comes to King Power, always cheaper outside and that will include VAT 

Come on now you aren't factoring in the value of the experience. At a normal shop you get your goods, pay for them and leave. Not too exciting. With King Power you may be falsely accused and or outright framed for shoplifting, held in an extortionately priced roach motel for a few days. During all of this you can meet exciting new people like Sri Lanka Tony who will intervene on your behalf to get you released for a very reasonable "fee". 

One of these is a boring lifeless experience the other is a story you can talk about with friends for years.

19 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Thanks for breaking up the post. If the authors you suggested will help people read long posts that aren’t written properly, I’ll give them a miss.

No, they’ll help you read long posts like mine that are written properly by improving your attention span and reading comprehension. However, you may need to start with something more basic.

The root of my thinking was always it’s a con.

Yep. You're rooted right there alright. Always.

You said there are many items which are cheaper or can’t be found elsewhere. I asked what are these ‘many’ items that are cheaper.

And I gave some examples. Go find your own examples here:

https://www.kingpower.com/?lang=en

Filter by duty free & compare w/ what you find in local dept. stores.

I didn’t ask about the items that can’t be found elsewhere because that is of no interest to me. Are you now saying there aren’t ‘many’ items that are cheaper?

So complicated. How's your arithmetic? Some cheaper + some unavailable elsewhere = many. But then "some" is of course necessarily relative to the stock to which you're comparing. I give you a couple of categories below.

I never said anyone needed nannying. I said that many people will assume it’s duty free when you tell them it is.

Nannying is thinking you need to tell them, consumer protectionist, they may or not get a bargain in a duty-free shop. As I noted earlier, (1) they know, (2) they can easily find out, or (3) they don't care. Even Brits:

British holidaymakers have lost faith in the value of duty-free shopping, with just one in 20 travellers believing that airport stores offer the best deals, new research has shown.

--https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/duty-free-shopping-savings-cheaper/

1 in 20, pal. That ain't "many" assuming anything.

Here most items are not.

Depends on the category and what's in stock, but in prominent categories they in fact are. Perfume, 25 non-duty free; 714 duty-free. Watches, 58 non-duty free; 168 duty-free.

You aren't really competent to have this time-wasting discussion, so I'm bowing out after this.

This is deliberately misleading in order to make profit.

No. A duty free shop sells does duty free items. They're not engaged in price-matching nor do they pretend to be.

When businesses lie to or mislead their customers they typically get fined. This keeps business more honest.

Seems pretty much the entire world, including countries w/ the toughest consumer protection laws, don't agree with you that duty free shops are lying, misleading, or engaging in dishonest business practices. You're quite free to apply your own personal little standard, of course, if that blows your skirt up and ensures you won't save any money by being conned. ????

If you think people are happy paying over the odds because they want a souvenir or they’re lazy, you don’t understand people. People who know they’re paying over the odds only usually do so cos they have to. They have little choice. They certainly don’t gladly do it.

Cough. No, they don't have to in a duty free even if they know they're paying "over the odds." And yes, they may gladly pay over the odds if it's for something they really want for whatever reason. But often, you see, they don't pay over the odds, if the odds are defined apples-to-apples reasonably. Ignoring that MAJOR point is "misleading our forum members" and reflects your inability to engage in an objective discussion on this subject, being "rooted."

Truth is, most don't think about it that much one way or the other, knowing it's a travel splurge anyway, perhaps 'cause they have a lot more money than you do or they just don't have that baked-beans-on-toast, puckered sphincter mentality. They hope for a bargain, may look for one (I do), but the "happiness" is really all about enjoying the goods themselves or vicariously through a loved one. Not to mention even the act of purchasing something in the duty free while traveling. Next month it's just a line of many on the credit card bill. All this shows is that you don't have a clue about how the average duty free shop patron thinks. Suddenly I'm seeing a horde of Filipinos descending on the duty-free.

To anticipate nitpicks, oh, maybe somebody forgot his shaver and thinks he must buy one at the airport. Duty free has one, but it's overpriced. He buys it reluctantly. But then there's the guy who badly needs a G&T. Only place to get it is at the airport bar. He winces at the price, orders, and ah-h-h. YAWN. 

Edited by JSixpack

2 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No, they’ll help you read long posts like mine that are written properly by improving your attention span and reading comprehension. However, you may need to start with something more basic.

Yep. You're rooted right there alright. Always.

And I gave some examples. Go find your own examples here:

https://www.kingpower.com/?lang=en

Filter by duty free & compare w/ what you find in local dept. stores.

So complicated. How's your arithmetic? Some cheaper + some unavailable elsewhere = many. But then "some" is of course necessarily relative to the stock to which you're comparing. I give you a couple of categories below.

Nannying is thinking you need to tell them, consumer protectionist, they may or not get a bargain in a duty-free shop. As I noted earlier, (1) they know, (2) they can easily find out, or (3) they don't care. Even Brits:

British holidaymakers have lost faith in the value of duty-free shopping, with just one in 20 travellers believing that airport stores offer the best deals, new research has shown.

--https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/duty-free-shopping-savings-cheaper/

1 in 20, pal. That ain't "many" assuming anything.

Depends on the category and what's in stock, but in prominent categories they in fact are. Perfume, 25 non-duty free; 714 duty-free. Watches, 58 non-duty free; 168 duty-free.

You aren't really competent to have this time-wasting discussion, so I'm bowing out after this.

No. A duty free shop sells does duty free items. They're not engaged in price-matching nor do they pretend to be.

Seems pretty much the entire world, including countries w/ the toughest consumer protection laws, don't agree with you that duty free shops are lying, misleading, or engaging in dishonest business practices. You're quite free to apply your own personal little standard, of course, if that blows your skirt up and ensures you won't save any money by being conned. ????

Cough. No, they don't have to in a duty free even if they know they're paying "over the odds." And yes, they may gladly pay over the odds if it's for something they really want for whatever reason. But often, you see, they don't pay over the odds, if the odds are defined apples-to-apples reasonably. Ignoring that MAJOR point is "misleading our forum members" and reflects your inability to engage in an objective discussion on this subject, being "rooted."

Truth is, most don't think about it that much one way or the other, knowing it's a travel splurge anyway, perhaps 'cause they have a lot more money than you do or they just don't have that baked-beans-on-toast, puckered sphincter mentality. They hope for a bargain, may look for one (I do), but the "happiness" is really all about enjoying the goods themselves or vicariously through a loved one. Not to mention even the act of purchasing something in the duty free while traveling. Next month it's just one line on the credit card bill. All this shows is that you don't have a clue about how the average duty free shop patron thinks. Suddenly I'm seeing a horde of Filipinos descending on the duty-free.

To anticipate nitpicks, oh, maybe somebody forgot his shaver and thinks he must buy one at the airport. Duty free has one, but it's overpriced. He buys it reluctantly. But then there's the guy who badly needs a G&T. Only place to get it is at the airport bar. He winces at the price, orders, and ah-h-h. YAWN. 

The duty free here is a con. It's that simple. 

i go out of my way to not accidently wander into their store at the airport. dont want to get jumped for shoplifting scam. hate the way their space intrudes into the walkway so its hard to tell if your in the store or not.