Renewing passport will that change my yearly renewal date

Hi,

I talked to a visa agency that told me  that since my passport expires march 29 2020  & my 1 year report date is July 7th 2019 I will have to - or my report date for my 1 year extension will be changed to March 29th. I remember doing this in 2010 & nothing changed my date was & still is July 7th for the last 15 years.

Doesn't immigration just transfer the 1 year visa date to the new passport.I will renew my passsport probably in January. I know my passport date of ending in 2030 will be the month that they send me the passport. Are there new changes I am not aware of or did I just get some misinformation.

Thanks again UbonJoe for the great info you gave me before.

Thanks again

Barry

Since 2013 if your passport is not valid for one year on the date you apply for an extension it will only be done to the date your passport expires. Then when you get a new passport you would have to apply for a new extension on or before the date the shortened extension expires.

Best to apply for a new passport now so that you will have it when you apply for the extension.

Another factor to consider is that many countries require at least 6 months of passport validity to enter the country.

Many countries suggest you get a new passport when your current one only has 9 months remaining on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure Beardog has many options?

Getting a passport renewal in 3 1/2 weeks might be risky? I guess it depends on the country, and their recent turnaround times. A U.S. renewal seems like in the 10-20 day range, assuming one files in person soon (No open appointments this week, next week filling up), and accounting for July 4, and EMS return?

Maybe safest to bite the bullet, get a partial renewal before July 7 (a Sunday) so the 5th might be advisable?, through March 29, 2020, then get a new passport, then move the stamp, and realign on an annual March 29 renewal going forward?

12 minutes ago, pontious said:

US passport renewal is all done by post now.

Yes, one can mail in a renewal, assuming one is eligible. Payment by local bank draft only.

And one can still apply in person. Payment with cash, credit card.

Yes, new passports are returned only by EMS.

It's all here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

Beginning 1 July 2018: All passports renewed at U.S. Embassy Bangkok will be returned to the applicant by Thai Post registered mail. For further information please select your relevant passport renewal option above

You may be eligible to renew your passport and/or change your surname on your passport by MAIL. This program is meant to save you time and travel expenses. It is easy, convenient, and secure. You can prepare your passport application package at any time and the process takes approximately two to three weeks from the date we receive your application to when you receive your new passport book by mail. If you are renewing your passport card by mail please expect six weeks to receive your replacement card.

Benefits to applying by mail:

You do not need to travel to the Embassy and wait to be interviewed by a Consular officer.
Processing time to renew passports by mail is the same as applying in person.
You can complete your application at your home, saving you time and money.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since 2013 if your passport is not valid for one year on the date you apply for an extension it will only be done to the date your passport expires. Then when you get a new passport you would have to apply for a new extension on or before the date the shortened extension expires.

Best to apply for a new passport now so that you will have it when you apply for the extension.

Another factor to consider is that many countries require at least 6 months of passport validity to enter the country.

Many countries suggest you get a new passport when your current one only has 9 months remaining on it.

I could get a new passport issued in the U.S. June 21st when I go back Since my yearly will be completed tomorrow I still hold a 1 year OA without interruptions. That should keep my yearly date July 7th since nothing changed. The passport still being valid & I do have 6 months before is what the U.S. requests to renew the passport. Doesn't immigration just migrate the 2 books to keep the 1 year stamp valid? And if I change my passport before I come back I won't have the re-entry visa or my 1 year report on my new passport. Or will I be better off waiting till Sept 19th & go up to Bangkok & apply for a new passport .That still gives me the 6 months time(more) to get a new passport issued.And then go down to immigration & have them restamp my yearly date & my used 1 time re-entry stamp(  I think this is what they did for me in 2010 when I got a new passport.

The part I am not sure on why the Visa place told me that my 1 year would now change to March. It never changed last time. I think the visa place may have confused tht it is still valid & can be renewed on time.

I hope I gave better details to get info this time.

Thanks again

Barry

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, one can mail in a renewal, assuming one is eligible. Payment by local bank draft only.

And one can still apply in person. Payment with cash, credit card.

Yes, new passports are returned only by EMS.

It's all here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

Beginning 1 July 2018: All passports renewed at U.S. Embassy Bangkok will be returned to the applicant by Thai Post registered mail. For further information please select your relevant passport renewal option above

You may be eligible to renew your passport and/or change your surname on your passport by MAIL. This program is meant to save you time and travel expenses. It is easy, convenient, and secure. You can prepare your passport application package at any time and the process takes approximately two to three weeks from the date we receive your application to when you receive your new passport book by mail. If you are renewing your passport card by mail please expect six weeks to receive your replacement card.

Benefits to applying by mail:

You do not need to travel to the Embassy and wait to be interviewed by a Consular officer.
Processing time to renew passports by mail is the same as applying in person.
You can complete your application at your home, saving you time and money.

Nice that is good to know mail a better option .Pattaya to Bangkok is kind of a pain in the butt.

I honestly can't follow your situation - assumed it was a simple ext of stay. Seems more complicated than that? Good luck.

FWIW, passport renewals in the U.S. can take 4 - 6 weeks.  You can renew your passport anytime, even years before it expires, and think there's a grace period (5 years?) even after it expires. Seems like you'd be better off waiting to get a new passport here when you return?

Edited by mtls2005

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

I honestly can't follow your situation - assumed it was a simple ext of stay. Seems more complicated than that? Good luck.

FWIW, passport renewals in the U.S. can take 4 - 6 weeks.  You can renew your passport anytime, even years before it expires, and think there's a grace period (5 years?) even after it expires.

Thanks. It really isn't that complicated everything is done except passport will expire before next years July 7th report. I don't think because of that it will change my date of report but I may need to pay for another extension since the new passport will not have that stamp. 2010 they just took both the expired passport & the new one ,reset the 1 year stamp date & the re-entry & put it in the new book.I did that on my 90 day report & was no charge in 2010.It certainly may have changed by now as Thailand seems to change the rules on the whim of the wind lately.

I guess it more or less is will I have to pay another 1900 baht for the re-stamp. I don't think they will make me change my yearly report date as everything will be done to their satisfaction before I leave on June 19th(like every year when I go home)

22 minutes ago, Beardog said:

I could get a new passport issued in the U.S. June 21st when I go back Since my yearly will be completed tomorrow I still hold a 1 year OA without interruptions. That should keep my yearly date July 7th since nothing changed.

You apparently need to read my post again. You will have to apply for a new extension of stay in March 2020.

You do not have OA visa any more. You have a extension of stay based upon retirement.

If you think I am wrong you can look at the Bangkok immigration website main page. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php

That states this.

"According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013, when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry, the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport. 
After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ). "

• Like 1

So I will have to do my yearly again in march all over again.

That was my fault after I re-read your post it looked like that may be the case. I was not sure .will I have to do the yearly all over again. I just want to be legal up here.

Thanks again for the reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????

Just now, Beardog said:

So I will have to do my yearly again in march all over again.

That was my fault after I re-read your post it looked like that may be the case. I was not sure .will I have to do the yearly all over again. I just want to be legal up here.

Thanks again for the reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????

It looks like (I just re-read your post that I only need to pay the 1900 baht again not do the full 1 year report is that correct?

Thanks again. I just don't want to blow it.

7 minutes ago, Beardog said:

It looks like (I just re-read your post that I only need to pay the 1900 baht again not do the full 1 year report is that correct?

You have to show all the supporting documents and financial proof again. 

From what I posted. " submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht )"

Joe, do I have to transfer current permission of stay stamp, re-entry stamp, and original visa stamp to my new passport within a reasonable time frame? Or, say I have 10 months remaining on my permission of stay -- can I just wait 10 months 'til I have to renew -- then do the visa transfer to the new passport same time I get the new renewal stamp?

If so, can I travel with the old and new passports hooked together, i.e., with the new, valid passport and the expired passport, with current stamps? I know you can re-enter Thailand with hooked passports, if you have renewed your passport while abroad. But, not sure about getting thru Immigration leaving Thailand......

See any problems with this, if allowed?

15 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Joe, do I have to transfer current permission of stay stamp, re-entry stamp, and original visa stamp to my new passport within a reasonable time frame? Or, say I have 10 months remaining on my permission of stay -- can I just wait 10 months 'til I have to renew -- then do the visa transfer to the new passport same time I get the new renewal stamp?

Best to do it as soon as you so you do not need to show both passports for anything you want to do.

Perhaps do it when your next 90 day report is due.

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Best to do it as soon as you so you do not need to show both passports for anything you want to do.

Perhaps do it when your next 90 day report is due.

Well, ok -- but I rarely ever have to show my passport -- so I don't carry it. However, two attached by rubber band is less hassle than a long drive to Immigration, looking for parking, then doing a one time procedure.

Your point on do it at 90 day report time is well taken -- 'cause with a new passport I can no longer do it online. However, my current extension stamp, original visa, and last entry stamp are still associated with my cancelled passport. Thus, still using my old passport number would allow me to do the 90 day report online -- with all the elements of this report they care about still intact. So, I can wait until my next required extension -- 10 months hence -- to update the authorities with my new passport number.

Not completely Kosher, so no need to comment -- unless you see a potential roadblock with this procedure.....

23 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Not completely Kosher, so no need to comment -- unless you see a potential roadblock with this procedure.....

If you leave and re-enter the country after getting the new passport you will not be able to do online reports using your old passport number. You would have to use your new passport to do the report and immigration would not approve the application since they would have no record of your new passport.

I just renewed my US passport by mail.  You send your old passport, fill out the form, passport photo ( 2X2 inches ) and 2 bank drafts for the passport and them mailing it back to you.  You get back old and new passports and a letter from the embassy asking Thai immigration to put the old stamps in your new passport.  Same dates as the old passport for your visa and reentry stamps.

That only cost me 40 part to make 2 copies.  You get the new passport with the stamps and old passport back and for me it was maybe 10 days from when I mailed it in and got it back.  There's instructions and you can print the form from the US Embassy website

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

UJ I know you are the authority on these matters but I seem to remember that the requirement is 6 months of passport validity at the time you depart the country. Do I remember incorrectly? 

Just now, elgenon said:

UJ I know you are the authority on these matters but I seem to remember that the requirement is 6 months of passport validity at the time you depart the country. Do I remember incorrectly? 

You do not need 6 months of passport validity to leave the country. There is no such rule.

It could be a problem when checking in for flight to a country that requires 6 months of validity to enter. No problem flying to your home country.

Apparently it's now at the discretion of the Immigration Officer who makes the entry in your new passport. I had the same renewal date for 19 years, 13 August, but this last time the officer here in Nakhon Sawan changed it to 18 July, because that was when she made the entry in my new passport. I feel a little annoyed because it was easy for me to remember the old date, but it ain't no big thing.

23 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Apparently it's now at the discretion of the Immigration Officer who makes the entry in your new passport. I had the same renewal date for 19 years, 13 August, but this last time the officer here in Nakhon Sawan changed it to 18 July, because that was when she made the entry in my new passport. I feel a little annoyed because it was easy for me to remember the old date, but it ain't no big thing.

I would have asked why, and ask to speak to a Supervisor if needed. The rules are clear. Assuming all other things are Ok it is 1 year from last extension date.

43 minutes ago, Acharn said:

She used the wrong date stamp.

You should have complained and had it amended.

On 6/11/2019 at 5:11 PM, ubonjoe said:

You do not need 6 months of passport validity to leave the country. There is no such rule.

It could be a problem when checking in for flight to a country that requires 6 months of validity to enter. No problem flying to your home country.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wish I could recall where I saw that.