List of corporate bonds, government owned

Where can I find a list of bonds issue by companies owned by the government? I would imagine their pay would be higher than the government bonds (best I found was 3% for 10y).

Also, how do invest in those corporate/government bonds, do I need a trading account or can I do via Bangkok bank?

Thank you

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

You can find details of government agency bonds at http://www.thaibma.or.th/EN/BondInfo/RegisteredBond/RegisterSummary.aspx

However, given your apparent ignorance about the workings of the bond market, then I suggest you forget the idea, or do a lot of research.

Exactly the list I needed, thank you! And yeah, not familiar w the Thai market, just need to find a place to mark the outstanding balance of the investment visa post condo purchase for some 10y

Sorry, I misjudged your first post.

Those bonds are in what is known as the "secondary market".  They can (sometimes) be bought through a broker.  However, (a) they tend to be tightly held, with few sellers, and (b) the price at which they can be bought will be different from the issue price meaning that the actual yield will be different from the coupon rate.

New issues ("primary market") can sometimes be bought through banks, as well as through brokers.  However, the offers are usually restricted to Thai nationals only.

One issue you'll face is "roll over" when the bonds mature and you get the cash back.  You will no longer be holding the requisite amount in bonds to meet the requirements of your Investment visa.  Come the next extension of stay you could well find it rejected.  (That happened to me when a 3 year fixed deposit matured.  Even though I reinvested in another fixed deposit on the same day, I was refused at my next extension.)

Personally I would go down the fixed deposit route over buying bonds.  However, if the latter is what you want to do, open a brokerage account and hope that your account manager there is able to help you select and buy appropriate bonds.  You don't mention whether you have a work permit.  If you don't you'll find it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to open a brokerage account.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Sorry, I misjudged your first post.

Those bonds are in what is known as the "secondary market".  They can (sometimes) be bought through a broker.  However, (a) they tend to be tightly held, with few sellers, and (b) the price at which they can be bought will be different from the issue price meaning that the actual yield will be different from the coupon rate.

New issues ("primary market") can sometimes be bought through banks, as well as through brokers.  However, the offers are usually restricted to Thai nationals only.

One issue you'll face is "roll over" when the bonds mature and you get the cash back.  You will no longer be holding the requisite amount in bonds to meet the requirements of your Investment visa.  Come the next extension of stay you could well find it rejected.  (That happened to me when a 3 year fixed deposit matured.  Even though I reinvested in another fixed deposit on the same day, I was refused at my next extension.)

Personally I would go down the fixed deposit route over buying bonds.  However, if the latter is what you want to do, open a brokerage account and hope that your account manager there is able to help you select and buy appropriate bonds.  You don't mention whether you have a work permit.  If you don't you'll find it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to open a brokerage account.

Good information, thanks once again. Yes, aware of the limitations to open a brokerage acct (No WP), was just trying to get a little more than the 1.75% (minus tax) BBL pays for a 24mo deposit. A 10 year deposit until I reach retirement age would be ideal for that 1 million. Will go to the bank and see if they offer such option. 

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

Quick Q - how did you solve the issue w the rejection when rolling the deposits? With all the hassle and low rates, Im  considering just buying the 20y elite and calling it a day

28 minutes ago, hrrecruiter said:

Quick Q - how did you solve the issue w the rejection when rolling the deposits? 

I didn't.  I was forced to change to an extension of stay based upon retirement.  Fortunately, I was not working at the time.

General opinion is that Immigration at Chaeng Wattana was in the wrong.  I'd done a few previous rollovers at a provincial Immigration office and had no problems.

If you want a rollover-free solution, you might consider something like Krung Sri's Mee Tae Dae savings account.  Interest rates not quite as good as fixed term products, variable rates, but generally not too bad.  Other banks have similar products.

36 minutes ago, Oxx said:

If you want a rollover-free solution, you might consider something like Krung Sri's Mee Tae Dae savings account.  Interest rates not quite as good as fixed term products, variable rates, but generally not too bad.  Other banks have similar products.

Appreciate your time to help, tks