Australian in Patong hotel fall on heavy painkiller, likely suffering hallucinations

webfact

Australian in Patong hotel fall on heavy painkiller, likely suffering hallucinations

By The Phuket News

1560317630_1-org.jpg

Australian tourist Daniel Partridge, 33, was on the prescribed heavy painkiller Tramadol at the time of his fall from a Patong hotel on Sunday (June 9). Photo: frankieleon / Flickr

PHUKET: The mother of the 33-year-old Australian man who died after a fall at a Patong hotel on Sunday has raised serious concerns about the circumstances of her son’s death, especially the fact that he was taking prescribed Tramadol when the incident happened.

Linda Partridge in an email to The Phuket News also pointed out that her son, Daniel, was not travelling alone. “His friend and travelling companion was in the adjacent room,” she wrote.

“His friend advised me that they had not been drinking all day but had just had a few in the evening,” Mrs Patridge added, disputing witness reports detailed in the initial report by police.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-in-patong-hotel-fall-on-heavy-painkiller-likely-suffering-hallucinations-71762.php#tULPMwvHR2e5fXot.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-06-12

I was on Tramadol after dislocating the rotor cuff in my left shoulder which did wonders for the pain but definitely no hallucinations but could be possible I suppose if he was overdosing on them and only 50mg available here in Thailand 

It is one of the listed possible side effects, especially if 

Seek medical attention right away if you have symptoms of serotonin syndrome, such as: agitation, hallucinations, fever, sweating, shivering, fast heart rate, muscle stiffness, twitching, loss of coordination, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.

Alcohol in any amount can have serious effects with tramadol

https://www.drugs.com/tramadol.html

1 minute ago, marko kok prong said:

I was on Tramadol for ages a couple of years back after a serious op,not a good idea to drink on it,but had no withdrawl symptoms when i stopped.

Same here heard the horror stories but got off them ok. At the peak of my pain was taking the max dose 8/per day 400mg and also drank on them and never had hallucinations

21 minutes ago, keith101 said:

I was on Tramadol after dislocating the rotor cuff in my left shoulder which did wonders for the pain but definitely no hallucinations but could be possible I suppose if he was overdosing on them and only 50mg available here in Thailand 

The dose is making a drug! I took Tramadol a quite long time after a motorcycle accident when an artificial knee joint caused a lot of pain.

I never had any sorts of hallucinations, the guy might have taken other stuff, magic mushrooms perhaps? 

I have worked in hospitals for a long time, no patient I have seen experienced hallucinations while on tramadol.  I think the mother is right to question her sons death considering how many farang die on roads and hotels. 

6 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

The dose is making a drug! I took Tramadol a quite long time after a motorcycle accident when an artificial knee joint caused a lot of pain.

I never had any sorts of hallucinations, the guy might have taken other stuff, magic mushrooms perhaps? 

https://www.drugs.com/tramadol.html

Sad he lost his life but if he was on Tramadol and drinking, that was crazy.

I took Tramadol for over 4 years, never had any hallucinations, but never drunk alcohol whilst taking Tramadol.

When i was first prescribed Tramadol the doctor was very clear with his warning.... Do not take any alcohol while your are taking the pills.

49 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Same situation for me the last 6 weeks. Tramadol helped with pain, especially at night trying to sleep but I heeded the written warnings and stayed away from alcohol.

43 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Just because side effects of a drug don't occur in one person doesn't mean they don't occur in other people.... It's all variable....

Plus, in this case, there's obvious confirmation the guy had been drinking alcohol while taking the meds, which certainly was not a smart idea -- regardless of whether he had been "drinking heavily" or had "just a few."

4 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Just another opioid junkie. They prescribe these synthetic morphine tabs like they're giving out sweeties. Its almost like the big drug companies reward the quacks for handing out the stuff.....

Total BS. it was recently put on the controlled substance list. Thailand is still in the dark ages when it comes to handing out pain control

"Daniel had been involved in an accident three nights before his fall, and had been prescribed the painkiller Tramadol,
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-in-patong-hotel-fall-on-heavy-painkiller-likely-suffering-hallucinations-71762.php#bJeVuKwzVqTGrfHI.99"

Opioid junkie?  so lazy that you cant even click the news link !!

whilst I respect that some folk might research side effects of a particular drug (which includes death in most cases, regardless of drug type), and I applaud that, it’s interesting to note that those posting seem to universally agree that hallucinations don’t happen

so... what the hell... 

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Same here heard the horror stories but got off them ok. At the peak of my pain was taking the max dose 8/per day 400mg and also drank on them and never had hallucinations

... at the peak of my five year addiction I was eating as much as 2000 mg a day. The most significant side effect was uncontrollable muscle spasms, but never ever did I experience an hallucination (just as well as that would have been a bonus) 

i gave them up easily enough, but my partner (playmate) spent four weeks in rehab (whilst I scoured the house for any hidden stashes)

everyone has their own sad story, but the point herein is that I too call bs on the police assertions. There was definitely more to it than prescribed dosages of trammies, even if the entire prescription was consumed in one go.

Tramadol isn't a 'heavy' painkiller.  Makes you feel better mentally, but it isn't remotely equivalent to Oxycontin or Vicodin, or even codeine for that matter. And as far as dulling pain?  You've got to be kidding me.   However, get drunk and eat a handful and you're going to get impaired.  But then again, get drunk, eat a handful of paracetamol and you're going to get impaired.  In fact, just get drunk and you're going to be impaired.

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Tramadol isn't a 'heavy' painkiller.  Makes you feel better mentally, but it isn't remotely equivalent to Oxycontin or Vicodin, or even codeine for that matter. And as far as dulling pain?  You've got to be kidding me.   However, get drunk and eat a handful and you're going to get impaired.  But then again, get drunk, eat a handful of paracetamol and you're going to get impaired.  In fact, just get drunk and you're going to be impaired.

Hurt my back and tried tramadol for pain.  No relief and no impairment.  Think the people talking about it besides yourself have no actual experience.  

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Hurt my back and tried tramadol for pain.  No relief and no impairment.  Think the people talking about it besides yourself have no actual experience.  

Wrong mate i was on tramadol for 4 years, fully experienced with the drug, and yes it did help me.

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Are you just talking, or have you experienced taking tramadol?

58 minutes ago, connda said:

I can assure you that it does dull pain, it's an analog of Codeine & it's an Opioid analgesic.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Hallucinations is a listed as  one of the possible side effect by the drug company

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:
4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Wrong mate i was on tramadol for 4 years, fully experienced with the drug, and yes it did help me.

perfectly possible

you guys have to understand that people react differently on drugs

Archived