Aussies. I haters please. Genuine discussion.

tink2mutt

I have investments in multiple countries, including quite large ones in Australia, on which I either pay no, or a small non-resident withholding, tax.  I use a tax advisor in Australia to keep everything legal, and have been informed by them that, if I moved there, I would have to pay full capital gains tax on my investments there, and declare all other overseas income, which would also likely be taxable in Australia due to my not paying any in its place of origin.  I have no obligation to declare this income in Thailand, unless I remit it here in the year it was earned.  Unless Thailand introduces the requirement to declare and pay tax on all foreign income*, the baht would have to appreciate by an enormous amount for me to be better off living in Australia, NZ or most other Western countries.  And, if that happens, I would convert my Thai investments to Aussie dollars and make a killing on that instead. 

One also needs to consider the "fun" factor, whereby I am free to do what I like here, as long as I cause no harm, offense or inconvenience to others.  Well, I could even get away with causing harm, offense or inconvenience, but choose not to.  (Except for a bit of offense on TV occasionally).

*If Thailand were to introduce taxes on foreign income, which I can't see happening for those on non-immigrant extensions, I would be looking for another country with a similar living standard that still doesn't have a foreign tax requirement, rather than flee to the West.  However, should Thailand ever start to treat long term foreigners, especially those married to locals, as true residents with a pathway to citizenship, as some are calling for, I'd imagine that paying tax would be a part of that, and you won't be able to waltz on in with 400,000 or 800,000 baht in your pocket and expect to stay here for a year at a time.  The requirements just to be considered for residency would be far tougher.  Be careful what you wish for.

Great post.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Nemises said:

Electricity...

Aus: varies from State to State, up to about 43.67 AU cents per KwH

Th: about 18.00 AU cents per KwH across Thailand

You also need to add a fixed supply charge of around $400 a year in Australia, compared with a tiny supply charge in Thailand.

23 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

You also need to add a fixed supply charge of around $400 a year in Australia, compared with a tiny supply charge in Thailand.

a lot of Thailand is year around A/c Oz is not. That pushes the price back up quickly

57 minutes ago, madmen said:

The truth ????

You couldn't lie straight in bed . You quoted me from your dodgy memory and not what I said. Wanna try again? 

And you dont live in Bangkok your out in the sticks somewhere and STILL COMPARING to sydney pricing..

I gave you a comparison link to small town condos in OZ for 9000 bht/ per month

That is what you should be comparing your home in Thailand  to but your not getting it

what is wrong with you ??

What is the name of the small town in Australia or is it only in your mind?  Knowing that we can compare it with a small town in Thailand.  

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I thought it was some kind of Aboriginal language that fellows from Australia would understand.  

Sorry, my Koori mate from the Bungalung people cannot understand a word of what the Biripi people have to say in their native language.

So..they have to resort to English....he's a great Ray Charles impersonator!????

What is the name of the small town in Australia or is it only in your mind?  Knowing that we can compare it with a small town in Thailand.  

To lazy to scroll back a page?

This is random a 2 minute search. Sure there are many more. Then knock off rent assistance and you get nearly free meds and free Medicare

People are dreaming if they think they can live like a like a king here on pathetic oz pension with NO health INSURANCE conveniently never mentioned in any comparisons

https://www.realestate.com.au/rent/between-0-125-in-victoria%3b+/list-1?source=location-search

4 hours ago, madmen said:

Ok mr cherry picker..cheese, wine (not 25% fruit lol) rib eye, lamb, salamis..all deli food

Much cheaper!

medical insurance freeeeeeeeeeeee now thats truly priceless

You are talking about foods that are imported into Thailand. Stands to reason it will be cheaper in Australia. As for health insurance. Me single living in Cairns $340 PM = 87,500 baht PA. Here, Pacific Cross $52,000 PA with out-patient.

2 hours ago, madmen said:

a lot of Thailand is year around A/c Oz is not. That pushes the price back up quickly

Do you know anything at all about Australia mate. The Top End of OZ is AC all year round and bl**dy expensive to run.The rest of OZ is AC year round, cooling in the Summer and heating in the Winter.

power bill for me in Cairns = $650 PQ = 56,500 baht PA.

Thailand = average 1,200 baht PM = 14,400 baht.

37 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Do you know anything at all about Australia mate. The Top End of OZ is AC all year round and bl**dy expensive to run.The rest of OZ is AC year round, cooling in the Summer and heating in the Winter.

Pretty sure you know zip outside of the top end. here is a mission and you can use a calculator 

What percentage of the population lives in the top end?  Not a trick question ! report back with percentages in the morning

"The rest of OZ is AC year round, cooling in the Summer and heating in the Winter." Wt  ef are you smoking? What total nonsense.  so its either freezing or boiling?  in all of OZ .. ?? Ac 24/7 in all of  OZ ....snap out of it..

51 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

You are talking about foods that are imported into Thailand. Stands to reason it will be cheaper in Australia. As for health insurance. Me single living in Cairns $340 PM = 87,500 baht PA. Here, Pacific Cross $52,000 PA with out-patient.

So what. Medicare is still free. Nobody forced you into a private fund in oz and thousands here are to old they cant afford or they cant get cover . OZ pension is 37-38k / month on todays exchange ..what a pathetic amount to live on after rent, insurance, living expenses and cant even afford a MRI scan let alone surgery and immigration gonna force so many back anyway when they end up forcing 40k for 400k medical insurance on all long term visas... Far better off in small town OZ 

Too true mate. Check out how this NSW family nearly died due to Aus’s ridiculously high electricity costs :

EZEKIEL Mbuto cannot afford electricity for a heater.

Faced with three shivering children he resorted to lighting charcoals in the loungeroom of his sparsely furnished west Sydney unit.

It was a decision which could have cost him, his children Byaombe, 6, Angel, 3, and Happy, 1, and his pregnant partner their lives with the family taken to Liverpool hospital on Monday with carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Mbutos are among a growing number of people unable to afford their power bills and are instead resorting to dangerous methods of keeping warm, charities say.

Thousands of others are having their power cut each month for failing to pay their bills and debt to energy companies has reached record levels over $1000 per debtor.

“My kids were shaking it was so cold so I started three coals and once they were on fire I put more on,” the Congolese immigrant said.

“After about four hours my eldest boy, Byaombe, fell ill, he started vomiting. I started to feel a headache, a strong one, my youngest girl Happy started to vomit too.

“I started to worry … and then I called an ambulance.”

The family were on oxygen and a drip for six hours.

Mr Mbuto said he burnt the charcoal, which costs $4.50 a kilogram, because he couldn’t afford to use an electric heater, which costs about 56c an hour to run.

He recently lost his job in a burger bun factory in Brisbane and moved to Sydney to find work. When the family moved to Australia six years ago they lived in Coffs Harbour and were stung by power prices.

“We had a massive electricity bill in the winter,” he said. “We never had bills up to $1000 but from that time it was $1400.”

While he looks for work he is receiving $400 a fortnight from Centrelink which stretches only as far as his children’s needs and rent.

New data shows that NSW households in debt to energy providers now owe an average of $1016, up from $889 in just a year.

And in the last three months of 2018, 6861 homes had their power cut-off up from 6382 for the same time the previous year.

Wholesale power prices increased more than 150 per cent between 2015 and 2019

And charities say increases mean power is now out of reach for many people who resort to cheaper heating.

Salvation Army Moneycare manager Tony Delvin said burning charcoal instead of electricity was becoming a common problem.

“It is a real tragedy to hear stories like that but you do every winter,” he said.

“The price is increasing way out of reach for some people but they have no choice but to resort to things like this without knowing the health impacts.”

Average debt owed to power companies among those helped by the Salvation Army is $1920.

Image1560882232.880861.jpg

This thread can appeal to any nationality.

Prices started to rise in earnest from the Taksin/Abhisit minimum wage wars of the nougties, but considerably so since the military took over (this time). People living in Thailand in the '90s or before will tell you how very cheap it really was, currency fluctuations notwithstanding. Am convinced the army want an expensive, Singapore-esque state and consider dishevelled westerners an eyesore - making it expensive and awkward will keep the "bad guys" out. Posit it'll only get worse.

Having visited recently, I really noticed it. However, am cost averaging it out on decades-past so will not give up on the place. ????

/Off topic: The Brit with the EU flag as their nik: Really! What ever would your granddad think! Rolls eyes. //

55 minutes ago, madmen said:

So what. Medicare is still free. Nobody forced you into a private fund in oz and thousands here are to old they cant afford or they cant get cover . OZ pension is 37-38k / month on todays exchange ..what a pathetic amount to live on after rent, insurance, living expenses and cant even afford a MRI scan let alone surgery and immigration gonna force so many back anyway when they end up forcing 40k for 400k medical insurance on all long term visas... Far better off in small town OZ 

You can’t debate with ignorance. Go over there for a year and report back. Better still, stay there lol.

take it easy old timer. 

8 hours ago, madmen said:

To lazy to scroll back a page?

This is random a 2 minute search. Sure there are many more. Then knock off rent assistance and you get nearly free meds and free Medicare

People are dreaming if they think they can live like a like a king here on pathetic oz pension with NO health INSURANCE conveniently never mentioned in any comparisons

https://www.realestate.com.au/rent/between-0-125-in-victoria%3b+/list-1?source=location-search

Looking at that site I'd say you get about 400% better housing in Thailand for the same price.  

22 hours ago, madmen said:

You do realise for 9000 baht a month there a plenty of rental properties in OZ if your not staying big cities in oz as well plus you get rent assistance and free medicare plus higher pension with ad ons. So your no better off in thailand unless you live in bars so Thailand maybe puts you in front

5 min search and there are plenty more out there.   https://www.realestate.com.au/rent/between-0-125-in-victoria%3b+/list-1?source=location-search

The devil is in the detail. 10,000 baht bond, probably a poorly built piece of crap with mould and leaky pipes located next to a noisy highway. Quite noticeable there is limited detail of the interiors. Not to mention the Oz agents and landlords who think they have a dual role as a proctologist when it comes to one's personal information. And refuse to fix any defects.

No thanks, I'm happy with my studio condo in Chiang Mai overlooking the Ping River. 8500 baht/month, no security deposit. The only time I see the agent is when I want something fixed.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:50 AM, Don Mega said:

Which bank give 12 months travel insurance ?

None in AU that i know off....But the comm bank with some of there cards including Gold and Platinum give you 6 months at a time....The gold card costs around $89 a year the Platinum costs me around $260 a year plus i get rewards points...soon ditching and going to the gold as im over collecting points...

You could fly home for a week book a new flight apply for travel insurance and of you go again...

From July, AU's statutory minimum wage will be AUD740 per week. THB16,190. The comparable rate in TH is around 2,200 based on a 7-day working week.

One poster mentions clothes – at least in AU you get stuff that fits farang (my tailor has been Lowes…). With food and drink you get what you pay for, and Thai stuff - this is not just the usual anti-Thai rant – is nowhere near the quality, taste or durability. But who cares about a roof over your head when really good wine in AU is from B200/bottle?

I have lived many years in both places and - having recently re-sampled the Big Mango - I know I can't afford to stay. It's not about the money, regardless of not affording Sydney either......

23 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

t least in AU you get stuff that fits farang

I never have any problem buying clothing that fits in Thailan,I'm 6' tall.

Occasionally I have to choose shoes in a colour that isn't my first choice (size 47).

I think you may have confused the words 'farang' and 'fatty'.

1 hour ago, isaanistical said:

From July, AU's statutory minimum wage will be AUD740 per week. THB16,190. The comparable rate in TH is around 2,200 based on a 7-day working week.

One poster mentions clothes – at least in AU you get stuff that fits farang (my tailor has been Lowes…). With food and drink you get what you pay for, and Thai stuff - this is not just the usual anti-Thai rant – is nowhere near the quality, taste or durability. But who cares about a roof over your head when really good wine in AU is from B200/bottle?

I have lived many years in both places and - having recently re-sampled the Big Mango - I know I can't afford to stay. It's not about the money, regardless of not affording Sydney either......

I've never needed a tailor. My Thai GF shops in the secondhand clothing stores for me, and has a good eye. I am 1.8 metres tall and 90 kg, she seems to have no trouble finding clothing to fit.

I don't drink wine in Thailand, climate is too hot for it. I drink whiskey, which is less than half the cost of Australia.

It's more realistic to compare pensions. The full Australian OAP is equivalent to about 38,000 baht/month at current exchange rates. The age pension for rural Thais is 500 baht/month, rising to 800 baht per month if the recipient makes it to 80 yo.

Archived