Russia dismisses accusations of meddling in EU elections - newspaper

webfact

Russia dismisses accusations of meddling in EU elections - newspaper

2019-06-16T160711Z_1_LYNXNPEF5F0OI_RTROPTP_4_EU-ELECTION-PARLIAMENT.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Building of the European Parliament is pictured during the election night for European elections, in Brussels, Belgium, May 26, 2019. REUTERS/Yves Herman

MOSCOW (Reuters) - An official from Russia's security council described as absurd accusations that Moscow used disinformation to sway voters towards right-wing parties in last month's European Union elections, Rossiyskaya Gazeta newspaper reported on Sunday.

An EU review into elections to its parliament, published on Friday, said there was evidence both Russian and European online sources had sought to promote extreme views and polarise debate on issues such as migration and religion.

The preliminary report is the latest in a string of allegations from Western governments that Russia has used online disinformation techniques, including the creation of fake social media accounts, to try to influence voters.

Sites such as Facebook have come under particular pressure to tackle the issue since the 2016 U.S. presidential election campaign, when Russian troll accounts and bots allegedly flooded social media platforms with content aimed at undermining Democrat candidates and promoting the victory of current U.S. President Donald Trump.

Moscow has repeatedly denied targeting elections.

"Statements made in the Western media that Russia was allegedly deeply interested in the victory of right-wing parties during elections to the European parliament are completely absurd," Russian security council deputy secretary Alexander Venediktov was quoted by Rossiyskaya Gazeta as saying in an interview on Sunday.

"Let me remind you that, until today, no convincing evidence has been presented to the global community to prove that Moscow allegedly tried to influence the elections in the United States or in Europe," Venediktov was quoted as saying.

Friday's EU report found "a continued and sustained disinformation activity by Russian sources aiming to suppress turnout and influence voter preferences".

It called on social networks to do more to protect elections from foreign meddling.

(Reporting by Polina Ivanova; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne and Mark Potter)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-17

So long as the Cold War continues in its present guise, it is the duty of both the CIA and the SVR (= old KGB) to spread disinformation to each other's "audiences".  They would not be serving their countries correctly otherwise.

Rarely have I heard such inane chatter as about Russian involvement in this, that and the other. You've all had your investigation....and Mueller didn't find anything despite spending how many millions of dollars and thousands of man hours.

Are politicians liars? Yes of course.

Did the EU conspire with the US to depose an elected leader in Ukraine (ie meddling)....yes of course they did...there is hard evidence for it....Victoria Nuland's famous leaked 'F*** the EU' phone call.

Is the US meddling in Venezuelan politics right now as we speak....yes of course....you heard Pompeo admit it in a speech he didn't know was being recorded. It was then leaked.

Show me some hard evidence like that, that Russia has meddled in EU or US elections before you all chatter nonsense and stop being so hypocritical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Not exactly an independent, unbiased source. . . 

Inform Napalm is a volunteer initiative to inform Ukrainian citizens and the foreign public about the undeclared war against Ukraine, the annexation of Crimea. . .  Wikipedia.

. . . and, as per usual,  absolutely nothing to do with the subject under discussion.

Try having another chomp and spitting out something less risible.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Not exactly an independent, unbiased source. . . 

Inform Napalm is a volunteer initiative to inform Ukrainian citizens and the foreign public about the undeclared war against Ukraine, the annexation of Crimea. . .  Wikipedia.

. . . and, as per usual,  absolutely nothing to do with the subject under discussion.

Try having another chomp and spitting out something less risible.

Absolute classic Kartaiboy. 

You asked me to provide evidence of Putin lying, evidence given you deny the evidence. 

Let's have some more then. 

https://nypost.com/2018/10/09/another-big-putin-lie-exposed/

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Absolute classic Kartaiboy. 

You asked me to provide evidence of Putin lying, evidence given you deny the evidence. 

Let's have some more then. 

https://nypost.com/2018/10/09/another-big-putin-lie-exposed/

Typical off-topic deflection.  Now stop dredging the bottom of the barrel for old stuff and provide what I actually asked for - evidence Putin lied by denying alleged Russian involvement in the EU elections.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Typical off-topic deflection.  Now stop dredging the bottom of the barrel for old stuff and provide what I actually asked for - evidence Putin lied by denying alleged Russian involvement in the EU elections.

That's not what you asked, refer your posts above.

So now you gaslight. 

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That's not what you asked, refer your posts above.

So now you gaslight. 

That's exactly what I asked for and you know it. Don't try and wriggle off the hook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Rarely have I heard such inane chatter as about Russian involvement in this, that and the other. You've all had your investigation....and Mueller didn't find anything despite spending how many millions of dollars and thousands of man hours.

Are politicians liars? Yes of course.

Did the EU conspire with the US to depose an elected leader in Ukraine (ie meddling)....yes of course they did...there is hard evidence for it....Victoria Nuland's famous leaked 'F*** the EU' phone call.

Is the US meddling in Venezuelan politics right now as we speak....yes of course....you heard Pompeo admit it in a speech he didn't know was being recorded. It was then leaked.

Show me some hard evidence like that, that Russia has meddled in EU or US elections before you all chatter nonsense and stop being so hypocritical.

The conclusions of the Mueller investigation were different than you claim. Covered on numerous topics and even more news articles. But thanks for demonstrating previous comments about Russia and making bold, counterfactual statements.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 2