TV component level repair success in BKK

atyclb

problem;  large screen samsung tv speakers stopped working unless headphone jack inserted partially

dx; failed headphone jack

easily removed screws and back cover. removed side a/v panel board 

matched pcb audio jack on internet

took board and pics to bkk . "ban mau" electronic parts mall opposite de old siam in payurat (little india)

bought 10 baht audio jack.  went outside and paid 60 baht for tech to solder new jack on.  i can do myself but would be more arduous as i dont do often nor do i have proper tools for such work.

assembled in reverse and all is well

a lot easier than carrying tv to repair shop and got nice indian food for lunch

IMG_20190619_173440.jpg

IMG_20190619_173202.jpg

IMG_20190619_172542.jpg

samsung tv audio jack.jpg

A nice idea but am I really going to waste a day of my life dismantling my TV, getting to some distant part of town with it, then having to talk and negotiate with a load of Thai merchants who are only out to rip me off? In Pattaya the same component would cost 200B - if you could find it at all - and to do the job they would probably want 500-1000B. And then the repair would fail a month later.

I think I would rather just buy a new TV than face that sort of hassle.

41 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

A nice idea but am I really going to waste a day of my life dismantling my TV, getting to some distant part of town with it, then having to talk and negotiate with a load of Thai merchants who are only out to rip me off? In Pattaya the same component would cost 200B - if you could find it at all - and to do the job they would probably want 500-1000B. And then the repair would fail a month later.

large samsung flat screen tv that i had paid 30,000 baht for/ works perfectly except for the audio jack speaker glitch.

10 minutes to remove the back cover. another 5 minutes to unplug cable to a/v board and remove small board. 5 minutes to find same pcb audio jack on internet.

easy 15 minutes on mrt then 7 minute motorbike. ban mau electronics mall is not like normal tourist shopping ripoff place. its where people with technical ability and understanding go to find parts. they have never tried to rip me off. component was 10 baht but as you say maybe i should have negotiated lol. . 

4 hours total, an excellent indian lunch at a fraction of the price you'd pay at sukumwit, interesting tech to look at . versus what, making a repair tech appt, hanging around waiting for him then waiting a week or so for repair. other option to drag it to repair shop? it is not light.

imo no reason to discard an otherwise perfect tv.

1 hour ago, atyclb said:
2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

large samsung flat screen tv that i had paid 30,000 baht for/ works perfectly except for the audio jack speaker glitch.

10 minutes to remove the back cover. another 5 minutes to unplug cable to a/v board and remove small board. 5 minutes to find same pcb audio jack on internet.

easy 15 minutes on mrt then 7 minute motorbike. ban mau electronics mall is not like normal tourist shopping ripoff place. its where people with technical ability and understanding go to find parts. they have never tried to rip me off. component was 10 baht but as you say maybe i should have negotiated lol. . 

4 hours total, an excellent indian lunch at a fraction of the price you'd pay at sukumwit, interesting tech to look at . versus what, making a repair tech appt, hanging around waiting for him then waiting a week or so for repair. other option to drag it to repair shop? it is not light.

imo no reason to discard an otherwise perfect tv.

ps; i would spend the same amount of time or more researching what new tv to buy plus time for the r/t to the store to buy it unless ordered online

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

its where people with technical ability and understanding go to find parts. they have never tried to rip me off. component was 10 baht but as you say maybe i should have negotiated lol.

I'm not saying that you didn't do the right thing for where you are. What I am saying is that in Pattaya it would not be so practical.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

Pattaya it would not be so practical.

In  Pattaya  the choice of repair shops is  dwindling   but Amorn will still  ( half heartedly ) try.

there are 2 component shops along Theprasit road 

they may be able to recommend somewhere  for repairs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9086897,100.8878063,3a,75y,348.57h,77.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj4jEtRikPfPJa_xifRcXLA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9083244,100.8862024,3a,36.8y,319.14h,87.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMT9YDRZ_V5w_K7aSiw54Iw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

2 hours ago, johng said:
On 6/20/2019 at 9:30 PM, atyclb said:

went outside and paid 60 baht for tech to solder new jack on

Looks like a very neat soldering job in the photo ????

pic showed original solder but their soldering was also quite good as i inspected it.

2 hours ago, johng said:

In  Pattaya  the choice of repair shops is  dwindling   but Amorn will still  ( half heartedly ) try.

there are 2 component shops along Theprasit road 

they may be able to recommend somewhere  for repairs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9086897,100.8878063,3a,75y,348.57h,77.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj4jEtRikPfPJa_xifRcXLA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9083244,100.8862024,3a,36.8y,319.14h,87.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMT9YDRZ_V5w_K7aSiw54Iw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

amorn repair satellites in bkk same problem so it seems now they just send many jobs to amorn main repair at . dee old siam where techs and work ethic is excellent.

Archived