British Tea Drinkers of Thailand

As the title suggests, I aim to speak only with people who know a good cup of tea.  Americans be gone! Except maybe Jingthing who is probably connoisseur of breakfast tea.

Which tea do you drink? 

I have always drunk Tetley. 

I tried Lipton once, which was the worst experience of my life. I hear it is banned in the UK and anyone found with it in their possession will be imprisoned for up to 2 years.

Anyway, my Tetley has ran out and I find myself having no choice but to come to Thaivisa to find out which teabag is decent here in the Land of Sugarydrinks.

Any tips?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bring back supplies from the uk on my six monthly visit, usually Tetley’s or similar ( brought back PG Tips one time and found it weak ) .
TBH anything other than Liptons will suffice, I only drink one cup in a morning and then green/jasmine tea in an evening, very rarely a Tetley’s in the evening.

Haven’t seen or tried them myself but have heard that Tesco sell a Special Blend ( ? ) that’s palatable, of course won’t be as cheap as the uk .

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

No tea made with bags is worth drinking compared to leaf tea as it's made with tea dust, not leaves.   Twinings English Breakfast and Earl Grey loose leaf teas are good places to start.

I have never tried tea dust, to the best of my knowledge anyway, but I always remember my granny making tea with tea leaves using one of the strainer infuser thingys, and no matter how she tried the tea leaves would always float on top of the tea, as kids we called them 'battleships'

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Heladiv English Breakfast Tea from BigC. Each bag makes 2 mugs of tea.

heladiv.jpg

Yes, good stuff. Cheaper than Lipton's too. I use one of those little teapot affairs with a mesh cage inside. One teabag gives me two pots - drink one with breakfast and then second brew into a Tupperware cup (and lid) and stached in fridge for cold tea in the heat of the day. Drink it without milk or sugar.

First time I asked for a cup of tea in the USA I was presented with an ice cold sickly concoction with a variety of vegetation bobbing on top - yuck!

In the military context our American cousins were fascinated by our unfailing ability to brew tea with the bits and pieces carried about our person, they seemed to rely on the Colour Boy to bring them up some coffee...

26 minutes ago, vogie said:

I have never tried tea dust, to the best of my knowledge anyway, but I always remember my granny making tea with tea leaves using one of the strainer infuser thingys, and no matter how she tried the tea leaves would always float on top of the tea, as kids we called them 'battleships'

If you've had tea made with tea bags, you've had tea dust! Rip one open and have a look. 

If you have problems with floating leaves, you're probably not using boiling water.  Water from the hot water dispensers so popular here is not boiling.

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Heladiv English Breakfast Tea from BigC, 100 bag packs around 180bht, each bag makes 2 mugs of tea.

heladiv.jpg

That's great will give it try, didn't know and didn't really look before for tea in Big 'C'.

36 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

If you've had tea made with tea bags, you've had tea dust! Rip one open and have a look. 

If you have problems with floating leaves, you're probably not using boiling water.  Water from the hot water dispensers so popular here is not boiling.

☺️ It's my granny that had problems with floating tea leaves, but I'm guessing in the early 50s & 60s they didn't have tea dust, she liked Brooke Bond because she thought the chimps were funny on the advert, and she always got an oo from TyPhoo.

18 minutes ago, vogie said:

☺️ It's my granny that had problems with floating tea leaves, but I'm guessing in the early 50s & 60s they didn't have tea dust, she liked Brooke Bond because she thought the chimps were funny on the advert, and she always got an oo from TyPhoo.

Tea producers have always had tea dust, whether you or she had experienced it depends, I suppose, on when teabags were available to her.

30 minutes ago, trd said:
5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
That's great will give it try, didn't know and didn't really look before for tea in Big 'C'.

It's vile. I bought some and threw it in the garbage.

Well i'll give it a 25 bag go can't be any worse than 2 bags each cup of Lipton, my 1001 bags of Tetleys went of date and for sure it didn't taste right. 

46 minutes ago, trd said:

Tesco Finest from Lotus. They have English breakfast, Earl Grey and Ceylon. It's as good as Twinings and half the price and most importantly available here.

They also do a box called Tesco Original which I find to be pretty decent. 115 baht for 80 bags.

ShotType1_225x225.jpg

17 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Anyway, my Tetley has ran out and I find myself having no choice but to come to Thaivisa to find out which teabag is decent here in the Land of Sugarydrinks

I like Lipton's the most...reason being...I can get at least 15 cups of tea from the one tea bag. The competition just dissolves after about the 8th cup.

I like Lipton's the most...reason being...I can get at least 15 cups of tea from the one tea bag. The competition just dissolves after about the 8th cup.

What do you, just show the bag to the cup and walk it past?
How on earth you could call anything tea after two uses of a bag is amazing to me

I use two bags per mug.......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Anythingleft? said:

What do you, just show the bag to the cup and walk it past?
How on earth you could call anything tea after two uses of a bag is amazing to me

I use two bags per mug.......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Surely he must be joking....?

As you do, I use two bags per mug; decent strong cuppa.

McVities Digestives.....ahh....????????

The only way to get good tea in LoS is by bringing it back with you (loose leaf preferably) from any UK supermarket....Assam of course.  

Amazingly, there is a half-decent Thai loose-leaf black tea available.  Very drinkable.  The only place I've seen it has been in Tops, Chiang Mai.  But it may be available across Thailand.

Give it a try.

Here is a link to the company:

http://thaiteasuwirun.com/

10 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

They also do a box called Tesco Original which I find to be pretty decent. 115 baht for 80 bags.

ShotType1_225x225.jpg

This one is good, but they have not had any on the shelves of my local Lotus-Tesco for months now, I am hoping it was just a stock error!

17 hours ago, vogie said:

Yorkshire Tea, for men of the north.

_104860586_tv051243000.jpg

Only 2 good things ever came out of Yorkshire !!!!

First 1 Yorkshire tea, second 1 the M62 leads out of Yorkshire into god own county LANCASHIRE.

I use Twinings tea bags from BigC or Makro - good put pricy. I find Liptons ok too.

A few days ago I was in an Amazon coffee shop and the gf got a free tea made with a few loose leaves, along with her cappuccino. It tasted ok so we asked her if they sold it. They didn't but directed us to the CJ next door and to look for a box with Chinese writing and horses on the box. Found it and have tried it a few times, it's not bad for 39 Baht. Sorry no photo as I threw the box out after putting it in a storage jar.

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Heladiv English Breakfast Tea from BigC, 100 bag packs around 180bht, each bag makes 2 mugs of tea.

heladiv.jpg

Tesco imports Tesco brand tea bags and tea leaves.

Good taste actually, strength 2 for the bags.

80 bags in a pack.

Archived