British Tea Drinkers of Thailand

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Been saying this for ever !  ' Ah ! Yorkshire tea '.  Devonshire tea , ah only if it comes with scones and strawberry jam.

Thai Tea with warm crumpet. Can't beat that even if the tea is clap.

555.... very good!

Concur with a few other posters that the Tesco range (esp EBT 02 strength) is IMO the best around..........only one I found its equal or better was a tea from OZ called Nerada........now that was very good!

35 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Concur with a few other posters that the Tesco range (esp EBT 02 strength) is IMO the best around..........only one I found its equal or better was a tea from OZ called Nerada........now that was very good!

Nerada is good. Grown by an Indian  (perhaps Sri Lankan)bloke if I recall correctly up around the Tully/ Innisfail area in North Queensland. Mechanized leaf tip picking too. very clever.

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Best cup of tea I've ever had was in Thailand. A glass teapot with a sort of diffuser in int. The broken off twig of the tea plant goes in the diffuser. Add hot water...wait a minute or so and real cup of tea!!

They sell them on Lazada, around 300bht.

I thought of getting one for my ginger tea, but still boiling up a saucepan in the mornings that lasts all day.

The best black tea to my taste I ever came across is Twinings "Prince of Wales". But I did not see it in any store around here yet. Any idea where I could get it in the Pattaya area ? There seems to be a Twinings boutique in Siam Paragon in BKK, but it is a bit far to go from here.

I am not American. ????

6 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Who are these Cheap Charlies? Two mugs of tea with one tea bag!

A funny little aside here - back in NZ I worked with a guy for a while who was a rather gentle soul. At smoko, I pulled out my hot water thermos and a couple of tea bags and offered him a cuppa. Poured water into his cup and gave him the teabag, which he dipped into the water, counted 5 and pulled it straight out. And that was his way of making tea. Imagine how long his bags last.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Quite interesting reading the posts on this thread, but what amuses me is folk adulterating a good cuppa tea with milk and sugar... YUK, i have always drunk tea neat, tea just tea, lovely.

That's coz you're a hard Northern ba......

:laugh::1zgarz5::laugh::1zgarz5::laugh::1zgarz5::laugh::1zgarz5::laugh::1zgarz5:

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Quite interesting reading the posts on this thread, but what amuses me is folk adulterating a good cuppa tea with milk and sugar... YUK, i have always drunk tea neat, tea just tea, lovely.

I still have milk in my tea.

Gave up sugar in tea (and coffee) over forty years ago, when as an apprentice, a group of us at work decided to give up sugar for two weeks. I think I've probably won, as I've carried on until now.

22 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

My first encounter with Liptons 'tea' was in Finland, when presented with a cup of hot water with a Lipton's tea bag on the side.....  Consequently, on future holidays I took my own tea bags. Edit - and knew better than to order a cup of tea from any restaurant/vendor etc.!

I'm pretty sure those decrying teabags are 'tea snobs' - as although I continued to drink tea for my first couple of years here, I eventually gave up as it just didn't taste the same as back home.  I'm not sure whether this is because of the water or milk.

Normally, when someone accuses you of being a snob, due to the fact that you enjoy a higher quality product, have the discrimination and taste to recognize it, and seek it out, it is due to their dull palate, poor taste, and lack of passion. I get this all the time with my passion for wine. Those that know little to nothing about wine call me a wine snob. Do I care? Not one iota. Means less than zero to me. Junk is junk. Quality is quality. You make your choices in life. For me, life seems short, and I prefer not to fill mine with junk!

Hmmm yea ok...

Loose Tea makes a 'superior brew' no doubt about that.

I use tea bags with their - as some might say, inferior taste: I don't.

I enjoy good wine. No, I'm not going to get drawn in to a Sunday morning spat, about 'what good wine is'.

But, really no, I wouldn't attempt to draw any kind of real comparison between wine and tea.

Y'get me...?

Hmmm yea ok...

Loose Tea makes a 'superior brew' no doubt about that.

I use tea bags with their - as some might say, inferior taste: I don't.

I enjoy good wine. No, I'm not going to get drawn in to a Sunday morning spat, about 'what good wine is'.

But, really no, I wouldn't attempt to draw any kind of real comparison between wine and tea.

Y'get me...?

[emoji736]

Yup, it’s all about personal preference, a good loose tea is always gonna be better than a teabag but sometimes a cup of One cup Tetley’s just hits the spot and is all that is needed !!

My father lost his “ taste buds “ several years ago and cannot tell the difference between tea and coffee, although he would drink several ( maybe 15 ) cups each day, he could have drunk hot water and been happy [emoji2]

Hope some of the tea “ connoisseurs “ don’t come across the Dunking thread, that might just tip them over the edge.

On my first visit to Chiangmai in 1979, I asked for tea and was given a mug of hot water, a teaspoon and a jar of Nestea. Instant tea with milk and sugar. It was foul.

I found it diffiult to find proper loose leaf tea in Chiangmai until I found a couple of stalls on the ground floor of Ton Lam Yai market selling Royal Project items, Their Oolong tea is very nice but needs a long infusion time. It is also available at the Royal Project shop in 89 Plaza, Nong Hoy.

Many UK tea manufacturers used to claim that they blended their tea to suit the local water ie. hard or soft. I could not tell the difference and suspect that it was a marketing ploy.

My late friend who lived in Chiangmai for 20 years always insisted that anybody coming to Chiangmai on a visit bring at least a pound of Sainsbury;s Red Label teea. He would drink no other.

I agree that teabags do not taste as good as properly infused loose leaf tea. It justtakes patience

It may be totally irrelevant but, British Airways was known in the Gulf as Teabag Airlins, eg, "Teabag33 is 5 minutes late, estimating Dubai at 47"

Haven't bothered to read through all the posts so sorry if this has already been covered.

Started selling this Olong tea in our local mini Tesco recently. Compared to the regular Liptons it actually has some taste and only a couple of Bht more.
1702608788_OlongTea!.jpg.1471844aeb541540160c68f318526317.jpg

I drink this usually every evening, have done for a while now, available in Big C, usually around 65 baht for 25 bags but occasionally down to 56/58 baht, very good value.

IMG_1930.JPG

This one I bought in the uk ( ALDI ) very good also.

IMG_1931.JPG

Archived