British Tea Drinkers of Thailand

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teekanne Assam. Used to buy Assam, Kenyan from Whittards of Chelsea in Bangkok, but their shops became poorly stocked.

Also liked 5 Roses from South Africa, Only saw it one time in Thailand.

There is a truly excellent Oolong packaged in Thailand. Can't remember the brand name.

All the English Breakfast blends here are horrible.

Sorry to bust your tea prejudices, but I'm American.
Exactly. You are American.

3 hours ago, faraday said:

Surely he must be joking....?

As you do, I use two bags per mug; decent strong cuppa.

McVities Digestives.....ahh....????????

This one I like. 2 McVities Digestive biscuits dipped in tea before bed.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I have developed a taste for single estate Chinese green teas. They can be amazing. And they are readily available through ebay, and can be shipped to Thailand either free, or at low cost, without any customs duties. I buy them by the kilo. Usually about $60 a kilo, which goes a long way.

When I used to drink black tea, I would also order online and get access to amazing estate grown teas in bulk. Far better than the teas in the bag. 

gunpowder_-_dry_leaf_1.jpg

top-grade-hangzhou-dragon-well-west-lake-green-tea-China-longjing-tea-Chinese-green-tea-bags.jpg

416850.jpg

p-316-green-tea-cs.jpg

organic-jasmine-pearl-green-tea__63229.1501615431.png.jp2 174.61 kB · 0 downloads

organic-jasmine-pearl-green-tea__63229.1501615431.png.jp2 174.61 kB · 0 downloads

Good to know thanks!

tea has to be made with BOILING water....not just hot.
I never have a cuppa in a restaurant/bar because Thais do not use BOILING water...plus they charge a lot of money just for a tea bag....like 35 to 40 baht for a cuppa TASSE de The... 
I think green tea is better with water off the boil.

15 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Coming to think of it so did I!

The experts (whoever they may be) say the optimum temperature for which to brew black tea is 90C. This is about the temp of water in those jugs. But whether 90 or boiling, I've not noticed a big difference.

2 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

The experts (whoever they may be) say the optimum temperature for which to brew black tea is 90C. This is about the temp of water in those jugs. But whether 90 or boiling, I've not noticed a big difference.

the boiling temperature depends on pressure,

its going to be lower at the top of mount everest then at sea level.

as a true tea connoisseur i have NASA

make my tea in space

I usually bring back a large supply of Yorkshire Tea bags from England, but when those run out my previous preferred source of tea bags was from my local M & S., usually their Extra Strong blend. However, now that I have discovered that my local Tesco Lotus are selling the Tesco Finest range of tea bags, I have switched to those. All the choices I have tried so far, Ceylon, English Breakfast, Assam and best of all their Darjeeling blend have all been excellent, and not too expensive, considering they are imported. 

The Tesco Finest range also has other very good stuff, including good ground coffee, Marmalade, etc.

I'm a bit of a tea heathen, as an ex army guy I was used to having my tea NATO Standard = very strong with milk, sometimes condensed, and sugar x 2 but strong enough to stand your spoon up in. ???? 

I have just finished a large box of Yorkshire Tea bags which were great, a friend brought them over when he visited but are bit expensive over here, I'll be asking for a lot more when he next visits us ???? My everyday brew is Typhoo, 300 bags for about 300 Baht, I'm on mug No. 4 as I type this I stopped having sugar years ago.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Only 2 good things ever came out of Yorkshire !!!!

First 1 Yorkshire tea, second 1 the M62 leads out of Yorkshire into god own county LANCASHIRE.

Yorkshire Tea is from India and Africa but you're exactly right about the M62!

40 minutes ago, trd said:
46 minutes ago, essox essox said:
I never have a cuppa in a restaurant/bar because Thais do not use BOILING water...plus they charge a lot of money just for a tea bag....like 35 to 40 baht for a cuppa TASSE de The... 

I think green tea is better with water off the boil.

I often bring tea with me. Since they will not have high quality brands available anyway, plus I end up saving the 30-75 baht for a cup of water and a teabag!

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Heladiv English Breakfast Tea from BigC, 100 bag packs around 180bht, each bag makes 2 mugs of tea.

heladiv.jpg

That photo is a 25 bag pack. Is that only 45 Bht then.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

+ Yorkshire tea,my daughter brings a 1200 bag ,every year

that Liptons tea is the worst tea ever,I am sure it was not

like that when Thomas Lipton started his shops in the UK,

then it went to USA, where it's most likely used for Lemon tea.

regards Worgeordie

all very true. 

23 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

I aim to speak only with people who know a good cup of tea.  Americans be gone!

Happy I'm not American, so I can still enjoy a damn fine cup of tea, even I'm not British...:whistling:

I prefer "Ceylon Tea" which for example can be found in "Tesco's Finest" brand, but sometimes also a mug of Earl Grey, or English Breakfast Tea. I drink tea without sugar, but milk, or sometimes instead of milk a slice of lemon.

Where I live, both BigC and Tesco-Lotus has a nice selection of various brands of tea, including Lipton...????

Born and bred in the finest land called Yorkshire. Yorkshire tea reigns supreme, but alas what is missing from my daily brews. Is the finest Yorkshire water and the finest Yorkshire milk in the world.

3 hours ago, essox essox said:

I have been saying that since I got here in 2005.  A cup of Cappuccino up here is around 40B , same as tea. Tea is warm milky water with a Lipton's thrown in ghastly ! One wonders who buys tea. 

As a footnote, whatever tea you prefer, it makes a hugely refreshing drink as follows:

-Make a fairly strong brew of your favourite and store it in the refrigerator for max 2 days - I use a standard 1.5 litre bottle. (Use filtered water, not from the tap.) Whenever you feel like a pick me up, mix your tea brew around 50/50 with cold plain soda water (not soft drinks!) and plenty of ice, preferably with no sugar. Surprisingly good! Earl Grey is particularly tasty. Try it and see.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Yorkshire Tea is from India and Africa but you're exactly right about the M62!

Been saying this for ever !  ' Ah ! Yorkshire tea '.  Devonshire tea , ah only if it comes with scones and strawberry jam.

Thai Tea with warm crumpet. Can't beat that even if the tea is clap.

Archived