Is Thailand Going High Def Any Time Soon?

webbew

I was just curious if Thailand had plans to switch their broadcast services exclusively to high defenition any time soon. Here in the United States, you'll need to purchase a high defenition television or a converter for an old analog tv by the end of 2008.

I was just curious if Thailand had plans to switch their broadcast services exclusively to high defenition any time soon. Here in the United States, you'll need to purchase a high defenition television or a converter for an old analog tv by the end of 2008.

Thailand will be switching to NTSC so we can import all those defunct US tellys :o

HDTV is unlikely to happen in the near future.

Thailand will be switching to NTSC so we can import all those defunct US tellys :o

Interesting your comment about Thailand switching to NTSC. I hadn't heard that before and couldn't find any internet related articles. Where did you hear this?

Interesting your comment about Thailand switching to NTSC. I hadn't heard that before and couldn't find any internet related articles. Where did you hear this?

from the som tam seller at the end of the soi.

i think he is extracting the urine, but i could be wrong

Sorry but you're making a common error. The U.S. is converting from analog (NTSC) to Digital (requires an ATSC tuner). High Definition is a different subject altogether.

Thai shows look like they are made with a camcorder anyways, what would be the point of HD?

You never know though i could see UBC offer a HD package...maybe in 10 years :o

Perhaps they are going to buy HD Camcorders soon ?

from the som tam seller at the end of the soi.

i think he is extracting the urine, but i could be wrong

Just an insy-weensy bit :D :D

On the Irony channel...

Yep, the US is switching to digital terrestrial broadcast, which *supports* HD resolution. Old TVs will require a separate digital tuner box. By that time a lot of the content (not all) will be in HD. It's splitting hairs, really. Thailand doesn't have a concrete standard for HD broadcast yet, and none of the HDTVs sold here have a HD-capable tuner, so... If you look at how much trouble the privately owned ITV got into (and now the sat-based PITV), you'll have an inkling of how easy it is to make any changes to the Thai TV industry.

If you look at how much trouble the privately owned ITV got into

Those are not quite the same problems. If any station decides to broadcast HD in Thailand, they WILL run into political problems at some point but most likely it will be the absense of the regulator, not the disagreement with the junta. Still, the main point is demand and techonogical ability.

Thaicom 5, the new satellite, has the HD capacity, once UBC switches to it from Thaicom 3 there's a chance they offer HD, at a premium price. They will have to change set-top boxes, too, which are not cheap (though I believe they can work as tuners, so some money saved), and they need HBO and ESPN in HD to attract the public.

I personally think it's beyond their capacities as an organisation.

Other channels simply do not have any demand for HD.

Edited by Plus

I was just stating that any kind of change in the communications sector, especially something high-profile like TV, will meet with political problems. I wasn't actually saying that going HD will meet with the same problems as ITV.

This is on top of the various technical problems (you need to invest a lot in HD equipment throughout) and the fact that very few Thais actually have HD-capable TVs, and those that do have HD-capable TVs *don't* have digital HD-capable tuners (none, nada, zip, zilch), which means the added cost of getting a HD-capable tuner for *everyone*, unlike the US where *all* new TVs sold over a certain size are *required* to have a digital HD-capable tuner. They don't come cheap.

This year we're seeing HD-level TVs coming down to a less-than-astronomical price, but it still isn't the level of "less than 10k" that most Thais like to use. You'd probably need to wait at least a few years before the HDTVs are in place before even considering the feasibility of *starting* HDTV cable/sat, let alone terrestrial broadcasts.

I unlike the US where *all* new TVs sold over a certain size are *required* to have a digital HD-capable tuner. They don't come cheap.

The only requirement is that the tuner can receive digital broadcast--High Definition in not mandated.

Discovery and National Geographic are available in HD in Singapore, I would guess these are the channels Thailand will most likely see first.

Extra 15 dollars a month is it not - not tempting me yet.

Discovery and National Geographic are available in HD in Singapore, I would guess these are the channels Thailand will most likely see first.

Extra 15 dollars a month is it not - not tempting me yet.

Is there a charge for the receiver too, or is it "free"?

Hope Thailand gets HDTV asap.

a USB HDTV reciever for the PC can cost as little as 1500 baht.

in OZ we got free to air HDTV.

The resolution is unbelievably good. Its a real pleasure to watch.

Edited by Grover

I've seen originals being sold, but no copies yet. Shouldn't take too long, since the originals have already been cracked (they're available on the net already). Just need the piraters to actually begin mass production, which would require the proper manufacturing equipment. With players still pretty darn expensive, around $500, not many people own them, so there isn't much of a market to cater to, so no real reason to invest. You need the cheap player makers like AJ or Shinco in China to start producing cheap HD players.

Edited by Firefoxx