Culture Ministry Campaigns For Thai People To Wear Thai Dresses Once A Week

Jai Dee

"....to encourage people from the state and private sectors to wear Thai traditional clothes."

That's fine by me, provided it is genuinely encouragement and each individual has complete freedom of choice to do it or not, and of what to wear within the whole range of traditional clothes.

What should not be acceptable is a regime of: "This is the prescribed Uniform Of The Day, and it is mandatory that you wear it".

That is OK for kids going to school, as it reinforces the role of schooling in making kids aware of being a part of groupings.

But caution is needed that those who are exploitive by nature aren't allowed to get their ascendancies by 'back doors' to the restricting of other peoples' freedoms.

Moderation in all things.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't these ministers and their ministries have some other good ideas? :o

So far we have seen:

1. Foreigner's bashing

2. Working on petty issues, like Thai dresses etc.

3. Blaming previous government but did not bring anyone to justice yet

4. ......

I think there are some people who can add a lot to this list :D

I'd love to see a minister come out and suggest the Thai people should read a book one day a week, or use that day to learn a foreign language. as the library of books in the Thai language is quite limited and not particularly mind expanding.

That would be nice, wouldn't it. Maybe when hel_l freezes over?

This is all about control, isn't it...

Edited by OlRedEyes

The government doesn't have to enforce it. The People at least in Bangkok follow the herd blindly. The wearing of a yellow shirt was only for last year, but people still wear them this year. I asked my fiancee why and she said she is because she doesn't want to be the only one not wearing a yellow shirt on the BTS on the way to and from work.

The government schools will probably enforce these rules and everyone else will follow. This is a very patriotic country and Thais will not want to look like they are not being patriotic compared to everyone else wearing a certain designated type of clothing.

My point, short and simple, is that this does not have to be enforced. Conformity in Thai society will have them enforce it on themselves.

And that's why it's a control issue. One has to keep herding softly, softly lest the sheep forget and stray.

You get to know the code for these types of things after awhile.

However, I'm not as upset anymore by the idea of uniforms as some posters are. Over the last year or two, clothing requirements at my job have become more and more specific; though I reacted negatively to this at first, the employers provided most of the requisite clothing- most of it's even short-sleeved. As a result, I don't really have to think that much in the morning about what to wear, I don't wear out personal clothing at work, my clothing expenses for business wear have dropped significantly, and it's no one's fault but my employers what others think of what I wear at work (this is a significant benefit considering how Thais and Asians in general like to carp about appearances, often based on standards which differ significantly from European/American standards for various cultural reasons). So oddly enough, I've begun to appreciate conformity and the uniform (although it can result in some strange looks from some quarters when I'm out after hours).

"S"

:D You are now a happy sheep? :D It works, you see?

What's your 'happiness index' these days? :o

Edited by OlRedEyes

"....to encourage people from the state and private sectors to wear Thai traditional clothes."

That's fine by me, provided it is genuinely encouragement and each individual has complete freedom of choice to do it or not, and of what to wear within the whole range of traditional clothes.

What should not be acceptable is a regime of: "This is the prescribed Uniform Of The Day, and it is mandatory that you wear it".

That is OK for kids going to school, as it reinforces the role of schooling in making kids aware of being a part of groupings.

But caution is needed that those who are exploitive by nature aren't allowed to get their ascendancies by 'back doors' to the restricting of other peoples' freedoms.

Moderation in all things.

Freedoms can be restricted by social norms. The East is excellent in this.

Yala joins Culture Ministry campaigns to put on traditional Thai outfits

Yala province is promoting people to wear traditional Thai costumes.

In the auspicious occasion to celebrate the 80th birthday of His Majesty the King, the Culture Ministry is responsible for promoting, supporting and restoring national identities such as arts and cultural practices. The ministry is campaigning for Thai citizen to put on Thai textiles. The ministry would like state officials in other provinces to wear traditional outfits of Thailand for at least once a week.

Men are suggested to wear the royal design Thai jackets, while tube skirts with refine blouses would be more appropriate for women.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 April 2007

You get to know the code for these types of things after awhile.

However, I'm not as upset anymore by the idea of uniforms as some posters are. Over the last year or two, clothing requirements at my job have become more and more specific; though I reacted negatively to this at first, the employers provided most of the requisite clothing- most of it's even short-sleeved. As a result, I don't really have to think that much in the morning about what to wear, I don't wear out personal clothing at work, my clothing expenses for business wear have dropped significantly, and it's no one's fault but my employers what others think of what I wear at work (this is a significant benefit considering how Thais and Asians in general like to carp about appearances, often based on standards which differ significantly from European/American standards for various cultural reasons). So oddly enough, I've begun to appreciate conformity and the uniform (although it can result in some strange looks from some quarters when I'm out after hours).

"S"

:D You are now a happy sheep? :D It works, you see?

What's your 'happiness index' these days? :D

Always happy to find a keen eye for irony among my audience... :o

Culture Ministry campaigns for Thai people to wear Thai dresses once a week

The Ministry of Culture is propelling the campaign for Thai people to wear Thai clothing. The ministry is cooperating with other involved agencies to promote Thai silk.

Mr. Weera Rojpojanarat (วีระ โรจน์พจนรัตน์), the Permanent Secretary for Culture, says the ministry would like to encourage Thai people to wear Thai clothes as they are unique and wearable in many occasions, not only special ones. He says he has an idea to promote Thai national costumes for people to wear in their daily lives. The Culture Ministry plans to urge government officials and people from the private sector to wear Thai national attires once a week.

Mr. Weera says the ministry will also work with other agencies to modernize Thai garments to catch up with the fashion industry.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 13 March 2007

and i suppose it will be yellow silk !!!!!

• 2 months later...

Culture Ministry encourages people to wear Thai clothes

The Ministry of Culture is organizing a fair to urge Thai people, especially teenagers and working people, to wear more Thai fabrics.

The Culture Minister, Khunying Khaisri Sri-aroon, presided over the Thai Fabric Caravan fair yesterday (Jun 25) at the Ministry of Culture. The fair is being held from today to June 29th, with an aim to promote Thai fabrics to Thai people. Many local brand names are being sold here at discounted prices. The fair will then be held in other ministries and other community areas in Bangkok. The fair will help generate revenues to Thai clothing designers and will also benefit the overall economy of Thailand.

The Permanent Secretary for Culture, Mr. Weera Rojpojanarat says the Culture Ministry will continuet to campaign for Thai people to wear clothes. The ministry is collaborating with various agencies in developing Thai fabrics under a national brand name.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 June 2007

another Culture Ministry article...

another prompt for a photo to better understand the issue at hand...

as indeed, a return to the old style of Thailand clothing, as depicted in this painting, would be most welcome by most, I feel:

traditionalthaidress.jpg

John, keep 'em comin. You're on a roll today.

An extract from a Chang Noi article in November 2003 inspired, by the furore about Methinee Luk-Ket's Nipple exposure. Perhaps SJ can supply suitable accompanying images :o

Calling this breast’s public appearance 'un-Thai' suggests it contravenes Thai traditions. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Europeans who arrived in the early nineteenth century found Siamese women left their breasts uncovered as a matter of course. Upper class women might wear a loose upper cloth but 'it forms an imperfect covering for the bosoms which are much more frequently wholly exposed and unprotected'. Peasant women often donned a singlet while working for practical reasons, but took it off when the work was over.

The Europeans were horrified by all this exposed flesh, both male and female. One European mistook King Mongkut’s brother for a 'savage' because of his brief clothing, and was gobsmacked he was such a learned and sophisticated man. Under this prudish European gaze, both Siamese men and women began to wear more clothes. By the late nineteenth century, women in Bangkok usually covered their breasts. In the villages the change came much slower. Even today in more remote parts, older women still leave their upper body uncovered as a matter of course.

So what is being labelled 'un-Thai' here has nothing to do with history and tradition, but is totally modern, rather urban, and very western-influenced. This kind of 'culture' is being re-created all the time. The historical dramas which have become so popular in cinema and TV play a part. Take the current TV series, Sai Lohit, set in the final days of the Ayutthaya period. The costuming is splendid, and its exoticness lays a quiet claim to authenticity. The bare torsos or the males, resplendent with tattoos, might be close to historical accuracy. But to render the females authentic would mean cropping their hair short, blackening their teeth, and leaving their breasts exposed. Yet this would be, ummmm, 'un-Thai'. Also the audiences would not like it and the starlets would revolt. So instead they have luxuriously long hair done up into funny styles in order to appear different from today (and hence 'authentic'), while their teeth gleam, and no more flesh is exposed than a single shoulder.

The point is not whether these dramas ought to be authentic. The point is that 'culture' is being created and re-created all the time. The Ministry of Culture is not engaged in preserving something. Rather it is creating it, reflecting a modern, urban, middle class, prudish view of the world.

Regards