Hotel in South Korea blacklisted me and called me a prostitute, says Thai woman

Jonathan Fairfield

Imagine! Korean hotel staff assumed she was a sex worker just because she was Thai!

I can't count how many times Thai hotel staff assumed my Thai wife is a sex worker when entering the hotel late at night - just because she's Thai.

We make a game of it, book the room in her name so I'm the one who would have to pay a "joiner" fee, and she flashes her US passport when they ask for ID. I think it's hilarious. Her - not so much.

15 hours ago, Bipolar said:

First thing that thais should do is to start to boycott all these korean restaurants that serve shit food laced with kimchi and also boycott as these thirsty-arse untalented boybands and K-pop and also expel out all these koreans out of thailand.

Next ban travel by all thais to korea. All problems solved.

By all the Gods in all the heavens I loathe K-Pop. However, as much as it pains me to say it, a lot of those K-Pop diabetic coma inducing dancing fools are seriously talented multi-instrumentalists. 

35 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Just as well there are so many Westerners willing to come over and support them and their families.

I view it more as hiring their daughters than supporting their families.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

A female Thai a prostitute?  No! Can't be true... The liars. 

Don't tarnish Thailand as did a Thai Chief of the Royal Thai Police plus his minions in Pattaya...

No such profession exists in Thailand. ..

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

One of my friends at the time about 55 had a difficult time with European visas. Event though she explained to the guy that she had three houses and three Audi's and showed him her car keys. He still didn't believe she would return home. 

Stereotyping is common place everywhere. Explaining the houses and Audis is not the same as having the ownership papers as evidence. She showed the assets on her mobile? Or just verbal? Audi car keys can be bought from the key store so can bmw or benzs. Why .... my Toyota car key can have the Benz logo which I can buy from those key making stores. 

9 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Me too, often in Soul, they don't let me in even if i run around with koreans, oh and my black coworker...lets better not talk about that.

Itaewon tho is one of the least racist areas and known as the expat area lol...still mental there

Koreans are generally racist and xenophobic. Their insular culture similar to japan. But then racism is endemic everywhere except sometimes it is in your face. I remembered once I was in Huddersfield northern England on business. My english white friend after dinner suggested going to his watering hole ( pub) for some drinks and watch sports. Thinking the pub environment similar to the east like Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, I agreed. However upon arriving, I can read from the other patrons and the bartender that they are telepathically telling my friend “what the hell are you doing ... bringing this guy to our pad?” Even his regular pals just said a hello and drifted off... can’t miss that . By the way, the place is kinda remote countryside and not like Manchester. 

17 hours ago, anthobkk said:

She had a hotel blacklist from that gueshouse sharing her picture to all guesthouse in Incheon saying she is Persona Non Grata . Nothing to do with illegal work there, she was in Korea for holidays.

I think there is more to the story to grant her the situation. I have Thai friends and I believe it is not in their culture to be responsible and empathize with confirmed hotel bookings. They think nothing about no show ( if they haven’t paid up) leaving the owners stumped. They try to look cultured and civilized on the outside but couldn’t care less if no one is there to notice. Parental upbringing at fault here? 

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yep. Ask people around the world what springs to mind when Thailand is mentioned and I'm sure most would reply 'prostitutes and ladyboys'. I have a colleague from the UK who has to travel to Australia each year on business, and his wife forbids him from making a stopover in Bangkok. Singapore is okay though. Thailand's reputation stinks.

My ex wife used to caution me whenever I stopped in Bangkok not to bring back any unsavory ‘souvenirs ‘ ..Everybody (wink, wink) knows what your true intentions are to visit Thailand even though you can swear blue in the face that you are merely interested in Thai culture and temples. Stereotyping as usual. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DLock said:

I'm just amazed everyone believes what the Thai lady says the hotel said about her.

Thai's will lie to suit any situation...it's in their genes.

I am very skeptical of what the hotel supposedly said. They don't blacklist for no reason.

Unverifiable screenshots of the exchange (although nothing I can see about her being called a prostitute)

Screenshots of the original purported exchange that took place during the weekend. Image: GuideGig1 / TwitterScreenshots of the original purported exchange that took place during the weekend. Image: GuideGig1 / Twitter

On 6/26/2019 at 10:50 AM, KhunKenAP said:

Koreans are not a happy people, Every weekend there is some sort of protest. One week for something next week, those against the same issue.

Driving into Seoul one day, seen at least 300 riot dressed police. They were standing shoulder to should in a square. Glimpsed and few people inside the square in wheelchairs. Found out on the news that night it was a protest by 10 paraplegics in wheelchairs protesting no wheelchair entrance into that subway station.

Guess they thought they may get out of hand. Crazy! 

Best advice for this lady is find another room or leave Korea and then be happy.

Nice generalisation there.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:07 AM, ezzra said:

S. Korean has by far, the most sour faces i have ever seen, no happy people there, grumpy looking and not always polite, much like Russian when they're not drunk...

Guess you don't know many Koreans nor have ever travelled to Korea....just another trigger-happy keyboard warrior.

On 6/26/2019 at 2:52 PM, Cereal said:

Yeah, I know. However, I lived and worked in Korea for many years, and this attitude is the norm not the exception from every ounce of my fairly vast experience. I've been refused service in restaurants and bars because I'm white and speak English!

Then there's this beauty I snapped while in Itaewan one day. 

ebola= No Africans.jpg

Try spelling it correctly, it's "Itaewon".

On 6/26/2019 at 4:10 PM, Orton Rd said:

Thai is not a race it's a nationality, Korean and Thai are the same race. We need to see a picture of the women to decide if the Hotel was right or not, chances are high they were right IMO.

Incorrect, the Korean gene pool is different to the Thai gene pool.

On 6/26/2019 at 5:56 PM, Bipolar said:

First thing that thais should do is to start to boycott all these korean restaurants that serve shit food laced with kimchi and also boycott as these thirsty-arse untalented boybands and K-pop and also expel out all these koreans out of thailand.

Next ban travel by all thais to korea. All problems solved.

Shit food laced with kimchi? Korean food is delicious.....your racism is unwanted here.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:06 PM, Number 6 said:

555 ok, one in one hundred Koreans are cool. They rest are complete <deleted>.

Source: worked in Korea two years, fly through Incheon on occasion. Fly Korean Airlines

The expensive and atypical kimchi is tasty. Standard bog kimchi is disgusting. Everyones breath stinks of garlic. Horribly boring place.

1 in a 100? Incredibly harsh. 

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What kind of "paperwork" is required for a Thai to visit. My wife is going here with her sister next week. She mentioned some Thais are getting turned away. Any suggestions on how to avoid that peril? 

No paperwork is required, Thais get 90 days (no visa required). If they seem like a legitimate tourist, then there will be no issues.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:36 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

Me too, often in Soul, they don't let me in even if i run around with koreans, oh and my black coworker...lets better not talk about that.

Itaewon tho is one of the least racist areas and known as the expat area lol...still mental there

It's spelt "Seoul".

On 6/27/2019 at 8:59 AM, Cereal said:

By all the Gods in all the heavens I loathe K-Pop. However, as much as it pains me to say it, a lot of those K-Pop diabetic coma inducing dancing fools are seriously talented multi-instrumentalists. 

Yes, they are very talented. You probably despise them due to all of the negative stereotypes the western media have painted on Asians over the decades.

1 hour ago, icymanipulator82 said:

So backwards? Look up the HDI index. 

Why not ask a Korean "dirtspoon" about what they think of indices. I have a couple of good Korean friends that are international enough to speak English pretty well. The information from them is pretty much orthagonal to the public image peddled in the mainstream media.

It's pretty much the same story all over the world. You have people who have adapted to globalization and gone international and you have locals that pine for the old days. The locals are also often full on rasists. In Asia it's more blatant than west but the basic MO is the same. Just look at how the Brexit votes went.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

The locals are also often full on rasists. In Asia it's more blatant than west but the basic MO is the same. Just look at how the Brexit votes went.

Most of the people we're trying to keep out are white.

How can that make Brexiteers racist?

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Why not ask a Korean "dirtspoon" about what they think of indices. I have a couple of good Korean friends that are international enough to speak English pretty well. The information from them is pretty much orthagonal to the public image peddled in the mainstream media.

It's pretty much the same story all over the world. You have people who have adapted to globalization and gone international and you have locals that pine for the old days. The locals are also often full on rasists. In Asia it's more blatant than west but the basic MO is the same. Just look at how the Brexit votes went.

Every country has its racists and nationalists.