Renewing an expired Thai driving licence

Kaopad999

1 minute ago, Essex Reject said:

Not a problem, I recently renewed mine which was expired, I think it's okay for up to 2 years. You will still have to do the eye test and the reaction pedal test, as you would have had to had it not expired.

You're a diamond. Thanks for that! 

2 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

Not a problem, I recently renewed mine which was expired, I think it's okay for up to 2 years. You will still have to do the eye test and the reaction pedal test, as you would have had to had it not expired.

Oh, and may i also ask which documents you had to take with you to renew your licence please? thanks mate

11 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Oh, and may i also ask which documents you had to take with you to renew your licence please? thanks mate

Passport and maybe proof of address, really can't remember. I have trouble remembering last week.

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

Oh, and may i also ask which documents you had to take with you to renew your licence please?

You also need a health certificate. Any doctors clinic will do one. I had my last one done as a walk-in at McKormick Hospital on Kaeonawarat Rd and it cost 90 baht.

Just did one last week that was expired by 2 months. No problem and you get an extra 11 months if you are only 1 month over. So 5yrs 11 months. BTW. It is not ok up to 2 years as I understand as it can only be up to 6 months you can renew without any problems. 

21 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Just did one last week that was expired by 2 months. No problem and you get an extra 11 months if you are only 1 month over. So 5yrs 11 months. BTW. It is not ok up to 2 years as I understand as it can only be up to 6 months you can renew without any problems. 

Various reports on time allowed on expiration -- I heard 3 months before, and 3 months after expiration date is the window for renewal.

Since the two year license is issued with expiration two years from issue date (i.e., without reference to your birthday), the time you get with your new five year license will be five years *plus* number of days between issue date and your next birthday. So, if your birthday is June 1, and your two year license expires July 1, don't renew earlier than June 2.  But, if you renew June 2, you'll get a five year, 364 day license. Renew, May 31 -- you'll get a five year, one day license. July 1, five year, 11 month license. Etc.

This formula works with renewing five year licenses. But since they expire on your birthday, it's easier to remember to renew one day after your birthday, thus getting the five year, 364 day variety of license.

6 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Various reports on time allowed on expiration -- I heard 3 months before, and 3 months after expiration date is the window for renewal.

Since the two year license is issued with expiration two years from issue date (i.e., without reference to your birthday), the time you get with your new five year license will be five years *plus* number of days between issue date and your next birthday. So, if your birthday is June 1, and your two year license expires July 1, don't renew earlier than June 2.  But, if you renew June 2, you'll get a five year, 364 day license. Renew, May 31 -- you'll get a five year, one day license. July 1, five year, 11 month license. Etc.

This formula works with renewing five year licenses. But since they expire on your birthday, it's easier to remember to renew one day after your birthday, thus getting the five year, 364 day variety of license.

I read 6 months. And for the second part you just repeated what I said, except the OP had said he was one month late so I stated if you are 1 month late you will get 5 years and 11 months. As it is now, I actually have 5 years and 10 months since being late by 2. 

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

And for the second part you just repeated what I said, except the OP had said he was one month late so I stated if you are 1 month late you will get 5 years and 11 months.

Read the OP. He has an expired two year license, meaning its expiration date had one chance in 365 of expiring on his birthday. Only five year licenses are wickered around their issue date to expire on one's birthday -- apparently your situation. Thus, for expiring five year licenses, easy mathematically to renew one day late, and get the five year, 364 day license. Or, one month late, and get the five year, 11 month license. Or one month early, and get the five year, one month license.

The OP's license expired 3 weeks ago -- call it June 1st for argument's sake. So, whether he renews 3 months from expiration (or 6 months, if allowed), his new five year license's valid period (five years plus x number of extra days) will be completely dependent on relationship of birthday to date of the new issue -- and not expiration date. So, if his birthday is Oct 1, and he renews to his five year license on Oct 2, he'll get the five year, 364 day license. If he renews on Sept 30, he'll get the five year, one day license.

Sounds complicated, but simply put for five year licenses -- the five year countdown to next expiration begins at your next birthday. If that birthday is 364 days away, congrats -- you've got a 364 day bonus. If you think about it, DLT has no other option, if they want five year licenses that expire on one's birthday.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Read the OP. He has an expired two year license, meaning its expiration date had one chance in 365 of expiring on his birthday. Only five year licenses are wickered around their issue date to expire on one's birthday -- apparently your situation. Thus, for expiring five year licenses, easy mathematically to renew one day late, and get the five year, 364 day license. Or, one month late, and get the five year, 11 month license. Or one month early, and get the five year, one month license.

The OP's license expired 3 weeks ago -- call it June 1st for argument's sake. So, whether he renews 3 months from expiration (or 6 months, if allowed), his new five year license's valid period (five years plus x number of extra days) will be completely dependent on relationship of birthday to date of the new issue -- and not expiration date. So, if his birthday is Oct 1, and he renews to his five year license on Oct 2, he'll get the five year, 364 day license. If he renews on Sept 30, he'll get the five year, one day license.

Sounds complicated, but simply put for five year licenses -- the five year countdown to next expiration begins at your next birthday. If that birthday is 364 days away, congrats -- you've got a 364 day bonus. If you think about it, DLT has no other option, if they want five year licenses that expire on one's birthday.

Yes already knew that, got it and thank you for the explanation. I wasn't thinking entirely straight so plainly was thinking it on his birthday but did not take that into consideration. Thanks again, my fault.

On 6/26/2019 at 12:18 PM, Kaopad999 said:

You need a health certificate from a doctor. And also a residence cert from immigration.

Archived