Johnson warns EU against any 'Napoleonic' tariffs in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I would expect every E.U. Country to respect the UK electorates votes and to reject the UK Governments request for an extension , my point was that the E.U. politicians  are the reason as to why the UK is still in the EU  

Not factual. Clearly, we disagree on fundamentals. The Eu is responding to the UK government's request. Nothing whatsoever to do with why the UK is still in the EU.

12 minutes ago, tebee said:

Very fake 

All bananas are curved 

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-bananas-shaped-the-way-they-are

There is a world of difference between abnormally curved and naturally curved . 

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/media/euromyths/bendybananas.html

Have you ever seen a perfectly straight banana in the shops ?

I saw a straight one once, except it was bent quite markedly right at one end. But abnormally was the key word. If they were abnormally straight I suppose that would have been a problem too. ????

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

The point being I was responding to anothers members post, however if you want my honest opinion or my thoughts on the whole issue, which I'm sure you will disagree with me wholeheartedly on.

When The Brexit Party remained seated when the performance of the 'Ode to Joy Quintet' began they felt (I would assume) that they had no duty to stand for this piece of music or any other for that matter. 

The European Parliaments president Antonio Tajani said to them if you listen to an anthem of another country, you rise to your feet, suggesting that they consider the EU a Country. Many would disagree with that interpretation, the EU is not a country, although as one member pointed out it has it's own flag, money and anthem. So whether they sat, stood or flew around the gallery, they were not disrespecting a country although I am sure many in the EU would like it to be one.

No, I didn't respond to this. As far as I'm concerned Farage is a leech taking his salary and pension off the EU, that UK tax-payers support.    

8 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Negotiating trade deals as a bloc of 28 member states is much more complicated than negotiating as a single nation. That's why the EU trade deals take such a long time to be executed.

Read about the Walloons in Belgium and you'll understand:

Belgium Walloons block key EU Ceta trade deal with Canada

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37749236

and you think UK deals are  going to be a piece of cake? Get real.

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

If my understanding is correct, the funding would be short term to help our now tiny fishing industry get through the immediate impact of leaving the EU. Longer term, once we've taken back our fishing waters, our coastal towns can reestablish the thriving fishing industries they once had. 

get real.

• Haha 1

Just now, nauseus said:

Bottom line is that your pet WAG does not let us leave the EU if any normal definition of leave is used.

Unfortunately, it does. Leave is leave, which is what every brexiteer has demanded. Or are you aiming to dispute this?

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

If my understanding is correct, the funding would be short term to help our now tiny fishing industry get through the immediate impact of leaving the EU. Longer term, once we've taken back our fishing waters, our coastal towns can reestablish the thriving fishing industries they once had. 

The problems are firstly we gave quotas for those waters to our fishermen who promptly decided it was easier to sell those to other EU fishermen. If we claim them back we are going to have to compensate the current owners. Most other EU countries don't allow quotas to be sold out of country.

Second problem is much of the catch in those waters is things that are not in high demand in the UK like shellfish and squid, so much of it is landed and sold in  the European mainland. This may not be possible post a hard brexit and if it is will be subject to tariffs of around 35%

We, on the other hand, import much of the fish we actually eat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Correction; in 1975 we voted to remain in the EEC/Common Market. In 1975 we did not vote to remain in the EU because the EU did not exist.

I suspect the UK would vote to remain in an EU Common Market if that existed today. It's such a shame the EU federalist egotists turned it into something completely different. 

Semantics.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Not fake and I read it. It barred abnormally curved (i.e. bendy) bananas of "Extra" class. "Class 2" bananas were exempt but "Class 1" were allowed to have only slight defects of shape. I know it was repealed and can only assume that that was because they realized what a particularly dumb regulation it was - even for the EU - hurrah for the democratic bendy rights of bananas!

Does this mean if Brexit goes ahead, the EU will receive all the straight bananas and the UK will end up with all the bendy ones..?  :omfg:

3 hours ago, vogie said:

The point being I was responding to anothers members post, however if you want my honest opinion or my thoughts on the whole issue, which I'm sure you will disagree with me wholeheartedly on.

When The Brexit Party remained seated when the performance of the 'Ode to Joy Quintet' began they felt (I would assume) that they had no duty to stand for this piece of music or any other for that matter. 

The European Parliaments president Antonio Tajani said to them if you listen to an anthem of another country, you rise to your feet, suggesting that they consider the EU a Country. Many would disagree with that interpretation, the EU is not a country, although as one member pointed out it has it's own flag, money and anthem. So whether they sat, stood or flew around the gallery, they were not disrespecting a country although I am sure many in the EU would like it to be one.

In his own words...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tebee said:

The problems are firstly we gave quotas for those waters to our fishermen who promptly decided it was easier to sell those to other EU fishermen. If we claim them back we are going to have to compensate the current owners. Most other EU countries don't allow quotas to be sold out of country.

Second problem is much of the catch in those waters is things that are not in high demand in the UK like shellfish and squid, so much of it is landed and sold in  the European mainland. This may not be possible post a hard brexit and if it is will be subject to tariffs of around 35%

We, on the other hand, import much of the fish we actually eat.

Don't worry, the Spaniards will do anything for their calamari paella.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Does this mean if Brexit goes ahead, the EU will receive all the straight bananas and the UK will end up with all the bendy ones..?  :omfg:

Absolutely. One of the clear but forgotten benefits of leaving! ????

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:16 AM, Bluespunk said:

He ducked the Sky debate between him and hunt. 

That’s two now. 

Man’s a coward. 

On the subject of the itv debate, is that before or after a tiny minority of the uk public are given the chance to start voting for the uks next pm?

Why don't you step up? Take on Boris or the other guy?

21 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

My school had a 'school song', and we were all required to stand up when it was performed....

As a kid, obviously I conformed to this stupid, pointless requirement.

As an adult, I am not as easily intimidated.

Which is why I still think the brexit EMPs should have just remained seated.

Standing for an anthem whether a school's an organisation's, a country's, an international union or any other group is not a matter of intimidation, it's a mark of respect. That you would refuse to show that respect is your choice. But I wonder how you would feel if foreigners disrespected the UK in such a manner.

As for the Brexit party's protest, I still believe that a more appropriate and meaningful protest would have been for them not to have turned up at all.

But, of course, that would have meant each of them losing tens of thousands of pounds in MEP salary and expenses; plus losing out on their MEP pension and redundancy money when Brexit finally happens.

I'm sure their leader, Farage, has educated each and everyone of them in how to get the most cash, paid by the British taxpayer, out of the European Parliament for the absolute minimum of effort. Something he's an expert at having been doing it for years.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, evadgib said:
21 hours ago, 7by7 said:

The decision to extend Article 50 was also approved by Parliament.

Do your remarks include those Brexiteers who are against this extension approved by Parliament?

Especially to those who appear to be supporting the ludicrous court case to overturn it?

What did you make of this identical effort in t'other direction and the wall-to-wall coverage it received & how do you feel about the precedent it set....? 

I would have thought you Brexiteers would be grateful to Miller. After all, without her case Article 50 would have been triggered via prerogative powers, May's deal would not have been debated, let alone voted on, in Parliament and we would have left the EU on those terms last March.

Yes, her case did receive more coverage at the time; much of it due to the racist abuse and threats of violence directed at her and her solicitor by Brexiteers!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

Of particular interest to the 'Coward' brigade:

So Johnson has finally bowed to public pressure and, no doubt reluctantly, agreed to participate.