eBay empowers Thai sellers to expand online retail businesses

eBay empowers Thai sellers to expand online retail businesses

By THE NATION

6b2c0fc0708ee1695983345e65bfeee2-sld.png

eBay on Thursday unveiled a new integrated plan to empower Thai sellers to expand online retail businesses on its platform and connect with 180 million active buyers in 190 markets around the world.

eBay’s integrated plan supports a sustainable growth program for Thai sellers, offering tremendous opportunities for success in the global online market which continues to experience rapid growth.

Jenny Hui, general manager of cross border trade, eBay Hong Kong, Taiwan & Southeast Asia, said: “Cross-border e-commerce continues to trend upwards and is expected to comprise 20 per cent of all worldwide e-commerce by 2022. 

“The Asia-Pacific region will become the largest cross-border trade (CBT) region in e-commerce for both imports and exports. In 2018, the value of Southeast Asia’s e-commerce market reached USD 23.2 billion (Bt714 billion) and is expected to continue to grow to USD 102 billion in 2025.

“To strengthen our leadership in global e-commerce, eBay is committed to making continuous improvements to increase our business competitiveness. This year, eBay is focusing on an integrated plan to encourage Thai sellers of all shapes and sizes to grow their own online retail business and sell to the world on eBay, which is supporting a range of business initiatives to boost the sustainable growth of Thai sellers through improved performance.

“eBay’s platform connects small and medium-sized Thai businesses to 180 million active buyers in 190 markets around the world. We can clearly see the potential for CBT in e-commerce, and that Thai sellers can provide incredible value thanks to the huge variety of products made in the country that offer high quality and unique selections. This creates tremendous opportunities for Thais to sell worldwide. 

“The five most popular categories for Thai sellers are: 1) Jewelry; Gemstones & Watches; 2) Health & Beauty; 3) Home & Garden; 4) Collectibles; 5) Auto parts. And don’t forget that jewelry from Thailand has seen strong and consistent demand from global buyers for many years. The United States is the largest market for export sales, accounting for about half of the total items from Thai sellers, followed by the UK, Australia, Germany, and Russia,” she added.

eBay has consistently recognised the tremendous opportunities that are available through the wide variety of Thailand’s products which meet the demands of the global market, and include beautiful handcrafted merchandise such as fine jewelry and accessories, industrially-designed products, such as decorative items for the home and garden, and health and beauty items, she said.

“Today’s consumers globally expect retail-standard services and speed. eBay continues to invest in technologies and platform features that deliver the greatest buyer journeys making it especially easy for sellers to start their online business and become successful. 

“Our business initiative programs offer Thai sellers seamless cross-border retail opportunities in the global online marketplace through a more efficient process, while helping Thai eBay sellers scale up their businesses faster, which contributes to sustainable growth,” said Hui.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30371848

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-27

2 hours ago, madmen said:

If I'm not mistaken ebay doesn't even have a presence in Thailand

Well it's the interwebs isn't it?

There are plenty of Thai sellers on ebay already. Why do they need a presence (whatever that is)?

4 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Well it's the interwebs isn't it?

There are plenty of Thai sellers on ebay already. Why do they need a presence (whatever that is)?

If I search ebay australia and USA I get a link with products for sale but if I search ebay Thailand there is nothing. What am I missing?

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

If I search ebay australia and USA I get a link with products for sale but if I search ebay Thailand there is nothing. What am I missing?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by search ebay Thailand. Do you mean that ebay doesn't have a .co.th domain name?

But that doesn't stop Thai sellers listing on ebay e.g.: Handicrafts from Thailand

14 hours ago, madmen said:

If I'm not mistaken ebay doesn't even have a presence in Thailand

Ebay had a presence in Thailand. In 2015 they introduced their forced return policy, whereas the seller had to pay for the return shipping on any product the buyer deemed, " not significantly as described " resulting in a surging ' return ' rate for sellers of expensive or high shipping cost items. As a seller, sending out a 100 gram package from the Kingdom costs 86 baht with delivery tracking, the return rate for that same package from the US was $15. Meaning any return was simply refunded and the buyer kept the product. Ebay also imposes a 14 day time limit on packages mailed to the US (with the exception of Chinese Vendors who are allowed 45 days). This guarantees Thai vendors have to use a higher shipping cost method. Packages that are not received within the 14 days are deemed " INR " (Item not recieved) and the buyer is granted a full refund. Especially irritating when tracking shows the packing sitting in US customs.

There is an old adage in the US concerning Ebay, that holds true anywhere in the world, " if you can't afford to lose it, don't sell it on Ebay. "

Archived