5G is coming to Asean. What can it do for you and your business?

5G is coming to Asean. What can it do for you and your business?

By JS Pan 
Special to The Nation

5G networks are on the way to markets across the globe, carrying with it promises of revolutionary advancements in technology and ultra-fast mobile speeds.

As developed countries like the US, China and South Korea lead the charge to a widespread roll out of 5G, countries in Southeast Asia are also working hard to take advantage of 5G’s benefits in the development of its respective countries. Business as well have tremendous opportunity to improve its technology capabilities for internal business processes and product or software offering. 

A sharp increase in internet users and smartphone owners in Southeast Asian countries has helped to support improvements in tech infrastructures in these countries – as internet and social media penetration and mobile connectivity percentages from 2018 illustrate. Research suggests that this trend will only continue over the next few years. All countries are moving toward commercial rollouts of 5G networks in the next few years. The latest Ericsson Mobility report forecasts that the first commercial 5G services will become available in the region by mid-year, with 5G subscriptions accounting for 12 per cent of the total connections base by 2024.

5G technology is expected to simplify network infrastructure and lower deployment costs, which is ideal for ultra-reliable, low latency communications. The technology is also anticipated to be able to support billions of connected devices with diversified requirements, expanding the flexibility and agility beyond purpose-built LTE Networks. The network will provide the infrastructure for artificial intelligence (AI), particularly real-time analytics through edge processing, and also facilitate rapid access to cloud resources for the telecom network.

5G is not only building on an evolutionary growth in bandwidth, but also better use of and access to spectrum within low-, mid- and high-frequency bands, and improved connection reliability. 5G New Radio (NR) supports a variety of frequency bands with far greater bandwidth. For example, low-band spectrum (below ~1GHz) provides coverage across a large area that is excellent for broad LTE coverage in regional and rural environments as well as in-building. Mid-band spectrum (between ~2 – 5 GHz) delivers mobile broadband such as TDD 3.5 GHz. From 5G trials, deployments and launches worldwide, the 3.5 GHz band (3300 – 3800 MHz) has been the most frequently used and is emerging as a core 5G band.

The first wave of 5G service deployments are using various frequencies for improved data flow, leveraging existing 4G deployments for smoother migration. In Southeast Asia, Vietnam made trial licences available for 5G in the range of 2575–2615 MHz, 3700–3800 MHz and 26.5–27.5 GHz. Thailand, on the other hand, passed regulation recalling unused spectrum in the 1500 MHz, 2300 MHz and 2600 MHz bands, to reallocate for 5G services via auction. Regulators in Thailand also announced that by the end of 2019, it will terminate 2G services to open up spectrum for 5G services. As the global community continues to make decisions on which type of spectrum will be used for 5G services, we have engaged in collaborations with device makers and radio frequency (RF) leaders to stimulate 5G smartphone innovation and define a front-end module solution (including a radio frequency front-end design) that accommodates 5G components without impacting smartphone designs.

5G can be a catalyst for a connected society and economic transformation in SEA. The development of the region’s population and economy will be heavily reliant on its communications infrastructure to contribute to the digitalisation of verticals including fixed wireless broadband, education, smart cities and city management, agriculture, healthcare, transport and industrial IoT. For example, a big market opportunity for 5G is in replacing home broadband. Home broadband would be replaced with a plug-in device that delivers Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) anywhere in the home converting a 5G connection into home Wi-Fi so that all your devices (e.g. laptops, tablets, smart TVs and appliances, doorbell, security cameras, and games consoles have the benefits of multi-gigabit bandwidth.

Contributed by JS Pan, General Manager, Wireless Communication System and Partnership, MediaTek.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Economy/30371867

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-27

9 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

communications infrastructure to contribute to the digitalisation of verticals including fixed wireless broadband, education, smart cities and city management, agriculture, healthcare, transport and industrial IoT.

how about a Immigration app on your smart phone to do 90 day reporting that works at 300 baud?

No?

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

how about a Immigration app on your smart phone to do 90 day reporting that works at 300 baud?

No?

Ha ha - 300 baud!

The last I remember using anything near that speed was a very old British Telecom system called Viewdata, running at 1200/75 Baud (V23) - wiki says that started in 1964, but BT were still using it in 1975.

So being realistic, it might make an appearance here soon.

1 hour ago, justin case said:

hospitals will be booming...5G is dangerous but off course, most people have blinders on, like for most serious topics

i think hospitals are already booming.... I bet 5G is less dangerous than trying to cross Beach St..... but if 5G worries you, then build yourself a Faraday cage... you will be safe then????????

38 minutes ago, DoktorC said:

i think hospitals are already booming.... I bet 5G is less dangerous than trying to cross Beach St..... but if 5G worries you, then build yourself a Faraday cage... you will be safe then????????

Thousands of real doctors, as well as scientists and environmental groups, are far from flippant about the health risks inherent of 5G.

In fact, they are concerned enough about the intense round-the-clock radiation produced by fifth generation mobile systems to have petitioned the UN, the EU, the WHO and governments to halt the global roll-out.

Some countries have already slammed on the brakes and the chorus of protest continues to grow.

Yet, in the end, the health drawbacks of 5G may be dwarfed by the new technology's use to enmesh us in a new surveilance matrix - one capable of monitoring and controlling just about every aspect of our everyday lives.

Forewarned is forearmed: https://www.corbettreport.com/5g/

9 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Thousands of real doctors, as well as scientists and environmental groups, are far from flippant about the health risks inherent of 5G.

In fact, they are concerned enough about the intense round-the-clock radiation produced by fifth generation mobile systems to have petitioned the UN, the EU, the WHO and governments to halt the global roll-out.

Some countries have already slammed on the brakes and the chorus of protest continues to grow.

Yet, in the end, the health drawbacks of 5G may be dwarfed by the new technology's use to enmesh us in a new surveilance matrix - one capable of monitoring and controlling just about every aspect of our everyday lives.

Forewarned is forearmed: https://www.corbettreport.com/5g/

From health concerns to round the clock surveillance.... hmmmmm what's a person to do?  Money can buy many doctors, scientists, and environmental groups to take a position about anything - vaccination, electromagnetic radiation, climate change, silicon breast implants, mining waste, chemical manufacturing, driving a vehicle, etc.  Health risks are not inherent in 5G. If it was ionizing radiation (gamma rays, x-rays, ultraviolet light), I would agree there is an inherent risk. Radio frequency radiation not so much, although I would agree that effects other than just heating should be evaluated.  To determine risk to human health, however, you would need to identify the hazard and its ability to cause harm, assess exposure to determine dose, determine the response to dose, evaluate exposure, and then you can finally characterize the risk to health.  Your link only showed alarmist conjecture but no verifiable information (i.e., it is "fake news").  Try https://betweenrockandhardplace.wordpress.com/

Radio frequency (RF) radiation is already prevalent everywhere and 5G is coming, get used to it.   If you are concerned about your exposure to RF radiation look into Faraday cage technology.    https://www.radiationhealthrisks.com/wifi-radiation-protection-items/    (no endorsement implied)

Regarding the surveillance aspect, not much to say, except every day I wave Hi! to the eyes in the sky and every CCTV I come across.  They are out there and they are watching YOU!.  555   But I will not be worried if my refrigerator or any other appliance hooked to the Internet of Things reports to CENTRAL COMMAND that I had a lady come over and stay the night with me.  I wouldn't mind a good sex tape.

Well that's enough, I'm retired now and have other things to do than worry about nothing.   Instead the authorities here in Pattaya need my help in finding where the prostitution is hiding (in plain sight) from them.  Maybe the Junta should hire me instead.  Wait, i'm on retirement extension of stay, so I can't work. Just have to do it on my own.

Am I flip?  Of course. I've learned through life that no one lives forever, there is always something that can kill you, but it's usually the slips, trips, and falls that do the most damage. So enjoy your life and don't forget the sunscreen.   Although if you get one of these  maxresdefault.jpg    

you probably won't need the sunscreen

3 hours ago, DoktorC said:

From health concerns to round the clock surveillance.... hmmmmm what's a person to do?  Money can buy many doctors, scientists, and environmental groups to take a position about anything - vaccination, electromagnetic radiation, climate change, silicon breast implants, mining waste, chemical manufacturing, driving a vehicle, etc.  Health risks are not inherent in 5G. If it was ionizing radiation (gamma rays, x-rays, ultraviolet light), I would agree there is an inherent risk. Radio frequency radiation not so much, although I would agree that effects other than just heating should be evaluated.  To determine risk to human health, however, you would need to identify the hazard and its ability to cause harm, assess exposure to determine dose, determine the response to dose, evaluate exposure, and then you can finally characterize the risk to health.  Your link only showed alarmist conjecture but no verifiable information (i.e., it is "fake news").  Try https://betweenrockandhardplace.wordpress.com/

Radio frequency (RF) radiation is already prevalent everywhere and 5G is coming, get used to it.   If you are concerned about your exposure to RF radiation look into Faraday cage technology.    https://www.radiationhealthrisks.com/wifi-radiation-protection-items/    (no endorsement implied)

Regarding the surveillance aspect, not much to say, except every day I wave Hi! to the eyes in the sky and every CCTV I come across.  They are out there and they are watching YOU!.  555   But I will not be worried if my refrigerator or any other appliance hooked to the Internet of Things reports to CENTRAL COMMAND that I had a lady come over and stay the night with me.  I wouldn't mind a good sex tape.

Well that's enough, I'm retired now and have other things to do than worry about nothing.   Instead the authorities here in Pattaya need my help in finding where the prostitution is hiding (in plain sight) from them.  Maybe the Junta should hire me instead.  Wait, i'm on retirement extension of stay, so I can't work. Just have to do it on my own.

Am I flip?  Of course. I've learned through life that no one lives forever, there is always something that can kill you, but it's usually the slips, trips, and falls that do the most damage. So enjoy your life and don't forget the sunscreen.   Although if you get one of these  maxresdefault.jpg    

you probably won't need the sunscreen

Neither, my friend, so long as you keep you head in the sand.

Seriously. . . The video I posted is not "fake news".  It is a brief and accurate overview of the main health, security and environmental risks associated with 5G.

It was posted as a wake-up call for those of us who might not wish to become  human guinea pigs for the roll-out of this powerful new, untried technology.

Glad it got the sleep out of your eyes. Now you can study the kind of detailed data you asked for (below).  If you or anyone else on the Forum require more, happy to oblige.

https://ehtrust.org/key-issues/cell-phoneswireless/5g-networks-iot-scientific-overview-human-health-risks/

https://www.5gappeal.eu/

http://emfsafetynetwork.org/smart-meters/

(Oh, and don't forget to pop that lady back in the fridge when you've finished with her!)

21 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Neither, my friend, so long as you keep you head in the sand.

Seriously. . . The video I posted is not "fake news".  It is a brief and accurate overview of the main health, security and environmental risks associated with 5G.

It was posted as a wake-up call for those of us who might not wish to become  human guinea pigs for the roll-out of this powerful new, untried technology.

Glad it got the sleep out of your eyes. Now you can study the kind of detailed data you asked for (below).  If you or anyone else on the Forum require more, happy to oblige.

https://ehtrust.org/key-issues/cell-phoneswireless/5g-networks-iot-scientific-overview-human-health-risks/

https://www.5gappeal.eu/

http://emfsafetynetwork.org/smart-meters/

(Oh, and don't forget to pop that lady back in the fridge when you've finished with her!)

Hey Buddy, the video you posted was an alarmist bit of fluff.  Do you seriously consider it not "fake news' when the concluding sentence reads "The 5G Dragnet is cinching like a noose around our necks. But will the public become informed of the dangers of this technology in time to stop the technocrats’ vision from becoming our nightmare?"  Too funny.

Did you make the same argument when 2G was implemented? 3G? 4G?  Do you believe that power-lines and cell phone towers should be removed? Have you gotten rid of your cell phones?  Do you still use a WiFi router?  Are you content with 4G?  The new technology that is called 5G is more about network architecture, connectivity and data processing that uses a different part of the radio frequency spectrum than 4G.  Study the data all you want, 5G is here and 4G will still be here for a long time.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we have all been guinea pigs in the use of mobile phones since the early 1980's.  No putting the genie back in the bottle.  

Good luck with your quest.  I have more important things to worry about.

1 hour ago, DoktorC said:

Hey Buddy, the video you posted was an alarmist bit of fluff.  Do you seriously consider it not "fake news' when the concluding sentence reads "The 5G Dragnet is cinching like a noose around our necks. But will the public become informed of the dangers of this technology in time to stop the technocrats’ vision from becoming our nightmare?"  Too funny.

Did you make the same argument when 2G was implemented? 3G? 4G?  Do you believe that power-lines and cell phone towers should be removed? Have you gotten rid of your cell phones?  Do you still use a WiFi router?  Are you content with 4G?  The new technology that is called 5G is more about network architecture, connectivity and data processing that uses a different part of the radio frequency spectrum than 4G.  Study the data all you want, 5G is here and 4G will still be here for a long time.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we have all been guinea pigs in the use of mobile phones since the early 1980's.  No putting the genie back in the bottle.  

Good luck with your quest.  I have more important things to worry about.

Well, they do say ignorance is bliss. You are the living proof. Just hope you don't have chidlren and grandchildren, as I do, to worry about.

15 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Well, they do say ignorance is bliss. You are the living proof. Just hope you don't have chidlren and grandchildren, as I do, to worry about.

Well aren't you the smarmy one.  I can assure you that I am far from ignorant, but i am happy to be living proof of being in the state of bliss.

Given that you have taken to making personal attack rather legitimate discourse, it is clear that you truly lack the ability to critically evaluate what you profess to know and make rational decisions. And that's what separates me from you.  I can critically evaluate the available data (as opposed to the rants of the luddites and make my own risk management decision.  I recognized some time ago that the risk from exposure to RF radiation was orders of magnitude less than even the extremely small risk of dying in an airplane crash.  Do you and your family fly? (don't answer, i really don't give a f-ck). 

I will ask again are you advocating the wide scale removal of 4G cellular service, electrical transmission lines, wifi routers, etc?  If not, then your arguments for preventing the deployment of 5G are specious.  All of those technologies emit significant (measureable) amounts of EMF. The spying aspect of 5G are simply delusional (technocrats unite!).  The spy agencies are already collecting untold amounts of data about everything.

And finally, I was married, but my wife died of lung cancer from smoking cigarettes.  I had a son who died of a heart attack attributed to damage from undiagnosed/untreated thyroid problems.  Neither was caused by cell phone usage.  I do have a grandchild and she is why I am here in Thailand.  Rest assured that I am vitally concerned with her future health (she inherited her father's condition), education, and welfare.   And that includes making sure she can recognize and avoid the ting tongs of the world (that would include the likes of you).

Anyway, you are boring now.  Good bye and Peace out buddy.

4 hours ago, DoktorC said:

Well aren't you the smarmy one.  I can assure you that I am far from ignorant, but i am happy to be living proof of being in the state of bliss.

Given that you have taken to making personal attack rather legitimate discourse, it is clear that you truly lack the ability to critically evaluate what you profess to know and make rational decisions. And that's what separates me from you.  I can critically evaluate the available data (as opposed to the rants of the luddites and make my own risk management decision.  I recognized some time ago that the risk from exposure to RF radiation was orders of magnitude less than even the extremely small risk of dying in an airplane crash.  Do you and your family fly? (don't answer, i really don't give a f-ck). 

I will ask again are you advocating the wide scale removal of 4G cellular service, electrical transmission lines, wifi routers, etc?  If not, then your arguments for preventing the deployment of 5G are specious.  All of those technologies emit significant (measureable) amounts of EMF. The spying aspect of 5G are simply delusional (technocrats unite!).  The spy agencies are already collecting untold amounts of data about everything.

And finally, I was married, but my wife died of lung cancer from smoking cigarettes.  I had a son who died of a heart attack attributed to damage from undiagnosed/untreated thyroid problems.  Neither was caused by cell phone usage.  I do have a grandchild and she is why I am here in Thailand.  Rest assured that I am vitally concerned with her future health (she inherited her father's condition), education, and welfare.   And that includes making sure she can recognize and avoid the ting tongs of the world (that would include the likes of you).

Anyway, you are boring now.  Good bye and Peace out buddy.

Since you insist on knowing, I have hardwired my computers, tv etc and taken other precautions to minimise our exposure to wifi. Protecting against 5G radiation will be far more difficult (if not impossible) and costly.

I am not a luddite and do not believe it is ting-tong to apply the precautionary principle. I stopped smoking in my thirties when the tobacco industry, despite mounting evidence to the contrary, was still contesting the link between cigarettes and lung cancer.

Now in my eighties and in comparatively good health, I can see disturbing similarities between the culture of denial - and its catastrophic consequences - then and now. Hence my support for the thousands of scientists and doctors calling for the new technology to be properly tested before it is rolled out globally.

Better safe. . . 

Archived