Medical Check to extend non-B?

I am a teacher in Bangkok. About to extend my Non-B for another year. This year my school have asked me to do a medical check. Is this standard? I don't think this was the case before and wonder if the school has made a mistake. Does anybody have a list of documents required to extend a non-b?

I do know that a medical check is a requirement for the work permit and have done that every year I've been here. Usually I've had my extension and work permit renewal at the same time but at the moment they are 6 months apart. So if a health check is needed for the non-b too, I would end up doing one twice a year.

Can anybody help?

Edited by chessman

6 minutes ago, Snackbar said:

Medical certificate is required for a work permit application. Immigration requires evidence of work permit application before extension of stay consideration. 

Strangly not for me, maybe perhaps because it's a BOI company 

I went to the school office and got them to double check that I needed the medical for the non-B. Then they admitted their mistake and said I wouldn't need to get it until it was time to renew my work permit.

They said that as every other teacher had their Non - B extensions close to their work permit renewals it made sense for them to ask for the medical check when the non-B was due and they had not noticed that my work permit expiration was not synced with my Non-B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snackbar said:

Medical certificate is required for a work permit application. Immigration requires evidence of work permit application before extension of stay consideration. 

In my 25 years working here for 5 different companies on 5 work permits only had to get the medical certificate for the new work permit everytime and never for the extensions. However, I did see my colleagues who where over 60 yrs old a couple times got requested for medical certificates for extensions. Seems it might be a bit haphazard. 

3 hours ago, RBOP said:

In my 25 years working here for 5 different companies on 5 work permits only had to get the medical certificate for the new work permit everytime and never for the extensions. However, I did see my colleagues who where over 60 yrs old a couple times got requested for medical certificates for extensions. Seems it might be a bit haphazard. 

In my 6+ years of living here I haven't worked a single day.  It almost amazes me that peeps come to Thailand for work. Retired life and no clock is truly a good thing.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, kmw said:

Strangly not for me, maybe perhaps because it's a BOI company 

Hi kmw, do you have a work permit, or are you on a tourist visa?

On 6/22/2019 at 1:42 PM, kmw said:

I have been living in thailand for the last 4-5 years, I work for a hedge fund based in Sydney that allows me to work remotely, the back to back metv was the cheapest option for me to stay long periods in thailand, I'm definitely not a normal digital nomad, I don't use any co working spaces instead i work from home as I have a home office and don't really disclose to anyone that I work online abroad, 

When at immigration yesterday I knew and also the IO and supervisor probably knew exactly what I was doing over the last few years, but no way was I going to admit I was working when on a tourist visa, I knew they were trying to trap me, as someone my age being on holiday for the last 4-5 years just does not add up, anyway now I'm legitimately here I just was a bit annoyed i was grilled for doing the right thing, while before I was abusing the metv by doing them back to back and I knew that one day it will all catch up with me and I will probably get arrested or denied entry in the future,

I did look at the PE visa but the business visa was cheaper, and even if I got the PE visa i still would have been "working" illegally,

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Misty said:

Hi kmw, do you have a work permit, or are you on a tourist visa?

Came in on non b, then ext work permit, I didn't have to do any medical or police check, yes prior I was on a metv back to back for years on end as my job is pretty much online, decided to be legit as I can see the clamp down, i work for a BOI subsidiary

Edited by kmw
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A medical is not required to apply for a extension of stay (visas are not extended)

10 hours ago, chessman said:

About to extend my Non-B for another year. anybody have a list of documents required to extend a non-b?

The Non B you refer to is a visa. It is not extended. Visas are never extended.

You are, apparently, extending your permission to stay in Thailand. An extension of stay is not a visa. An extension of stay does not allow you to enter Thailand, as a visa would, which is why, if you want to travel out of Thailand and return, you need a re-entry permit . 

8 hours ago, chessman said:

I went to the school office and got them to double check that I needed the medical for the non-B. Then they admitted their mistake and said I wouldn't need to get it until it was time to renew my work permit.

They said that as every other teacher had their Non - B extensions close to their work permit renewals it made sense for them to ask for the medical check when the non-B was due and they had not noticed that my work permit expiration was not synced with my Non-B.

You may well find this will get synced for you. I got a new passport so my extension of stay is until November, which got out of sync with my work permit. When we renewed the work permit in April, it was only extended until November (when my extension of stay is due). So I only got 6 months on my current wp. They will be in sync in November when I have to renew my wp and entension of stay. 

6 hours ago, ToS2014 said:

In my 6+ years of living here I haven't worked a single day.  It almost amazes me that peeps come to Thailand for work. Retired life and no clock is truly a good thing.

I retired from my job in the US at 49 years of age. I also looked forward to the good life but after being here in Pattaya about 6 months I was made an offer I just could not refuse. Last year 14 years later I retired for good kinda glad I did the 14 years working here was able to add a healthy sum to my retirement account.

20 hours ago, natway09 said:

My experience is that in the last 6 years I have needed a medical certificate with a blood test for work permit & only able to be issued from a  credited hospital.

Your local clinic can no longer issue

That is what they told me, but for the last two years I went back to the 100 baht 5 min, don't even see the doctor approach, and it was accepted.

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

You may well find this will get synced for you. I got a new passport so my extension of stay is until November, which got out of sync with my work permit. When we renewed the work permit in April, it was only extended until November (when my extension of stay is due). So I only got 6 months on my current wp. They will be in sync in November when I have to renew my wp and entension of stay. 

At least they only charge 1500 baht for 6 months.