Rescue ship's captain accuses European states of abandoning migrants

rooster59

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

Believe you referencing the info at the link below which came up when I did a search? If so believe you're quoting the total cost that includes detention and so on.

http://www.migreurop.org/IMG/pdf/migrant-detention-eu-en.pdf

Solutions? Western government complacency, dramatic under funding, lack of local resources and totally inadequate access to legal processes for asylum seekers in host countries led to the massive influx into the EU in 2015. Accordingly within EU countries invest in more resources and infrastructure to hold and rapidly process asylum applicants, more security (police?) to track down and detain 'illegals', harsher penalties for those employing and exploiting 'illegals', expedite government to government agreements for deportation, heavily focus on diplomatic relations with source countries, reevaluate effectiveness of aid programs then refocus, identify and engage with effective NGOs on the ground etc etc

and so we keep asylum seekers in detention centers while their application is under scrutiny, so that they do not get out of sight, and we absorb the costs through more taxes on our citizens - at least those who pay taxes - or we divert the disposable funds from other projects, because poor nations can't control their booming population growth rate, and produce frustrated youth ?

Then why don't we colonize them to sort out the issues, instead of trying to cope with the disastrous impact on our societies?     

Guest Jerry787

seem everyone forgot to mention that her rich father is a key trader of defense software in africa.
Then his father conduct the gun trade and the daughter smuggles migrants escaping from war, its seem a family business.

16 minutes ago, Jerry787 said:

seem everyone forgot to mention that her rich father is a key trader of defense software in africa.
Then his father conduct the gun trade and the daughter smuggles migrants escaping from war, its seem a family business.

Putting aside ‘sins of the father’ and all that.

link?

3 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

very simple the new italian law came only into effect in may 2019.

wbr

roobaa01

I don’t know if you have ever lived in Italy, I have.

Italy has tens of thousands of laws in its statute, few enforced most ignored by all.

Regardless, my point remains valid.

The fate of this woman will be decided by the courts, and appeal courts.

Don’t get your hopes up.

5 minutes ago, the guest said:

Europe really is a laughing stock. Australia got it right, with its zero tolerance policy, and in the process dramatically reduced needless deaths.

Leading to indefinite detention in PNG or Nauru, very humane.

Refugees( asylum seekers) still arrive by plane and are processed on shore, treated differently than those who attempted to arrive by boat.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I don’t know if you have ever lived in Italy, I have.

Italy has tens of thousands of laws in its statute, few enforced most ignored by all.

Regardless, my point remains valid.

The fate of this woman will be decided by the courts, and appeal courts.

Don’t get your hopes up.

im sure that criminal female human trafficker will be taken care of by dr. salvinis' lega nord deciples.

wbr

roobaa01

• Thanks 1

imo it is a left wing media mob fairy tale that those boat illegals fleeing violence in libya.

they go knowingly to libya for human traffickers can easily operate within the political chaos getting them to welfare europe. no boats are coming from tunisia , which is even closer to europe, why coz no chaos in tunisia. hence bad for human traffickers.

wbr

roobaa01

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roobaa01 said:

im sure that criminal female human trafficker will be taken care of by dr. salvinis' lega nord deciples.

wbr

roobaa01

As much as Salvini may wish, thankfully the equivalent of Freisler currently do not run the Courts in Italy, nor vigilante groups.

1 hour ago, roobaa01 said:

imo it is a left wing media mob fairy tale that those boat illegals fleeing violence in libya.

they go knowingly to libya for human traffickers can easily operate within the political chaos getting them to welfare europe. no boats are coming from tunisia , which is even closer to europe, why coz no chaos in tunisia. hence bad for human traffickers.

wbr

roobaa01

No human traffickers in Tunisia - LOL

https://www.infomigrants.net/en/post/13915/alarming-figures-on-human-trafficking-in-tunisia

Tunisia has a minimal numbers of asylum seekers / refugees. BTW the report below identifies 95% of those transiting through Libya to Tunisia experienced some form of physical / sexual abuse

http://reporting.unhcr.org/sites/default/files/UNHCR Tunisia Mixed Migration dashboard - May 2019.pdf

7 hours ago, Tug said:

Tell ya what bob if I see ya out on the water in distress I’ll just pass ya by ok?some of the comments on this thread are just disgusting as a mariner I would never ever leave someone in distress to drown she did the right thing let the authorities sort the migrants out don’t expect mariners to abandon those in destress

I don't think anybody is suggesting they would sail right by if they saw somebody in distress. I think most would say rescue them by all means, but take them back to their homeland. You can't stop people smuggling (and all the deaths resulting from it) by continually enabling save passage to Europe. 

If I was an Italian I'd be livid that this German woman is putting the blame on Italy for not allowing her to offload more migrants to the country. 

16 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I don't think anybody is suggesting they would sail right by if they saw somebody in distress. I think most would say rescue them by all means, but take them back to their homeland. You can't stop people smuggling (and all the deaths resulting from it) by continually enabling save passage to Europe. 

If I was an Italian I'd be livid that this German woman is putting the blame on Italy for not allowing her to offload more migrants to the country. 

Perhaps you can explain how the asylum seekers could have been returned to their homeland. As Italy refused to accept them, other EU countries stepped up to their responsibility under EU law and accepted them for processing.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 11:55 AM, simple1 said:

Source to counter following and claim re elderly?

https://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/germany/statistics

It is no secret that numbers are doctored. Just look at contradictions in newspapers from one day to the next. I'm talking about FAZ, Welt, SZ. 

Elderly? Ever heard of free bus pass or reduced fare on public transport for them in Germany?  

In Austria we have reduced fares, min. pension you can live on.

In Germany? They see no need for such. This is why OAP collect discarded plastic bottles in Germany to get the deposit.

Keep your eyes open when you visit next.

Trust www.asylumineurope.org?

16 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Perhaps you can explain how the asylum seekers could have been returned to their homeland. As Italy refused to accept them, other EU countries stepped up to their responsibility under EU law and accepted them for processing.

Were they not picked up off the coast of Libya? If so why not drop them back to Libya? 

Would it not be safer for the migrants to travel across land and try to get to Egypt, Tunisia or Algeria? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Were they not picked up off the coast of Libya? If so why not drop them back to Libya? 

Would it not be safer for the migrants to travel across land and try to get to Egypt, Tunisia or Algeria? 

Please just try a minimal effort and you will have your answers and No, Libya is not a viable country to return asylum seekers due to the awful level of physical and sexual abuse as well as the ongoing civil war.

Edited by simple1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

The captain should be prosecuted for people trafficking.

Some traffic the economic migrants for cash, some for the ego boost - both are criminals.

If you were in fear of your life and wanted safe haven, I am sure you too would do anything to get to a safe haven

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Na - migrants is something else - these are illegal immigrants who are trying to exploit the social
security systems in Europe milking it to the limit without ever having contributed anything.
These are well coordinated illegal immigrant streams for money and nothing else.
It is not Europe’s fault that the countries they come from are governed by corrupt baboons and that all the development help that has been pouring into these countries in the billions for decades is disappearing into big black holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You seem to be a one person UNHCR, you have assessed them, their reasons for seeking a safe haven.and their government. All from the comfort of you secure home. Well done

13 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

You seem to be a one person UNHCR, you have assessed them, their reasons for seeking a safe haven.and their government. All from the comfort of you secure home. Well done

OTOH you are quite willing to accept claims of fear for life without any evidence, and to spend huge amounts of other people's tax money, which could be used much more productively, to satisfy your sense of "humanity". When they are assessed as economic migrants and even more spent to deport them, will you apologise to those whose resources you are prepared to waste? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

OTOH you are quite willing to accept claims of fear for life without any evidence, and to spend huge amounts of other people's tax money, which could be used much more productively, to satisfy your sense of "humanity". When they are assessed as economic migrants and even more spent to deport them, will you apologise to those whose resources you are prepared to waste? 

I would prefer proper assessment on evidence, as opposed to judgement based on nothing more than assumption

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I would prefer proper assessment on evidence, as opposed to judgement based on nothing more than assumption

Yes you would, but you aren't the one paying for it, are you? So who gets to vote on the issue, the taxpayers of the country or some bleeding heart keyboard warrior?

Is it any wonder the countries of southern Europe are choosing to block illegal immigrants?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

Yes you would, but you aren't the one paying for it, are you? So who gets to vote on the issue, the taxpayers of the country or some bleeding heart keyboard warrior?

Is it any wonder the countries of southern Europe are choosing to block illegal immigrants?

Once again I will say. Seeking refugee status is not illegal

They are not illegal until assessed, it is called natural justice 

• Sad 1

The whole thing is a show. Sea Watch and others are not rescuing people, they are making a show of rescuing people. They are out there for months at a time and that is all they do. It's not like they are engaged in an actual enterprise and just happen across the migrants; it's almost certain they co-ordinate with those putting the migrants out there. If Sea Watch and others were not out there, very few migrants would attempt (and pay people to help them attempt) to embark on what has to be a 50-50 chance of being a suicide mission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1