Senators warn of street protests if Ja New’s attackers go free

snoop1130

Senators warn of street protests if Ja New’s attackers go free

By The Nation 

e0bf3c978daa294543e49fb2955fa333.jpeg

Senators on Monday added to mounting pressure on authorities to catch the culprits behind last Friday's assault of anti-junta activist Sirawit Serithiwat, warning that the case could be exploited for political advantage.

Members of the upper house called on the government to strongly reject widespread accusations in the social media that it was behind the brutal attack, in order to prevent the incident from being used to incite political conflict.

Senator Jetn Sirathranont said that he and fellow members would file for a parliamentary investigation into the incident if the authorities made no progress.

"A parliamentary channel should be used to find a way out. I don't want this matter to be used as a political move to ignite street demonstrations," he said at the TOT Auditorium where Parliament is temporarily based.

Sirawit, who is better known as "Ja New" (Sergeant New), was left severely injured with a broken nose and fractured eye socket after four helmeted men arrived on two motorcycles and beat him with sticks around noon last Friday near his home.

Other senators also expressed their concern, asking Royal Thai Police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda, who is also a senator, to speed up efforts to find the culprits.

Senator Seree Suwanpanont said he opposed using violence against anyone, not just political activists.

Fellow Senator Wanchai Sornsiri urged the government to clarify that it was not involved in the attack in order to prevent the matter from being used for political purposes.

"I don't believe the government or the powers-that-be were behind the incident," he said.

Wanchai warned of attempts to "ignite a political fire" against the government by provoking people to take to the streets.

Senator Kamnoon Sithisamarn on Monday called for an upper house debate on how to end the worrying political conflict.

"Parliament can serve as a forum of compromise between groups of power. The goal is to prevent the conflict from expanding into the streets," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30372080

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-07-01

31 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Last ditch junta desperate attempt to salvage a lost case after being caught with their pants down. 

Yep - the bird up on the top perch quickly jumped ship and crowed for "justice"

• Like 2

Just now, dcnx said:

What do you think they have all of those shirt medals for? 

I think for 20 Baht.

Colinneil said a few weeks ago that those 'civil service medals are sold at markets. You can buy what you like. It seems like pure vanity.

Perhaps for the police medals you have to buy them at an approved police market? Then they're probably 25 Baht each.

I was awarded to DCM in the UK: Don't Come Monday.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

I met a teacher recently - the usual Monday uniform day.  She had a RIBBON Bar! - AND - a winged parachute thingy!

Having collected a few myself over a 30 year career - I learned their true meaning.

This place is a joke - - - - - -

Ah, there are no flies on her...

The government needs to adapt new tactics to deal with activists. They were already successful once at the Thai Vietnamese border lately. Even the Thai media keeps it under wraps. The future will probably be a secret abduction including the "six-feet-under" solution somewhere in the woods. The government can also seek advice from the mafia on Koh Tao. They have some experience. But it must be deep enough, remember the monitor lizard.

9 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

They were already successful once at the Thai Vietnamese border lately. Even the Thai media keeps it under wraps.

Yes they really managed to keep that border with Vietnam under wraps ????

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

This is true. The last they want is street protests because then the military arm would have to flex its muscles. This would then, in turn, damage/dissolve whatever image this pseudo-democratic government has on the international stage. They must be worried about the influence, if any, by the protests in Hong Kong.

Don't worry most of the Junta don't read the international news articles,  most of it is beyond their comprehension any way

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Judging from history on the manner the military dealt with protesters mercilessly, I don;t think they care too much of their already damaged image. However, He will not be pleased with the bad image on the international stage in his first year. 

Quite but what I hinting at was that they want to keep this sham going for their own purposes.

• Thanks 1

The senators are right. Street demonstrations will be problematic. Army/police may need to stage a coup to replace the government to bring peace and restore order. 

Edited by Kasane
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

This is true. The last they want is street protests because then the military arm would have to flex its muscles. This would then, in turn, damage/dissolve whatever image this pseudo-democratic government has on the international stage. They must be worried about the influence, if any, by the protests in Hong Kong.

"pseudo-democratic"

I think that's being a bit generous.

• Like 1

Reading between the lines, these appointed senators don't care about Ja New or any other activist being beaten, just care about the backlash it might cause to the Junta and by extension to their paymaster. 

Despicable people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1