Notarization of degree (Nationality and University are different)

Currently going through the process for a first Thai Work Permit.

My office have informed me, although don't seem 100% sure, that I need my degree to be authorized (their words) which I take to mean notarized or apostilled.

The first big roadblock to that is, I'm an Irish citizen. My degree is from a UK institution. The Irish Embassy can't notarise a foreign document, only one which was created in the ROI. The UK embassy just don't provide this service whatsoever.

Going through the UK service via post seems to be a massively convoluted, expensive and time consuming process. I have no idea if Thai Immigration/Labour will accept it even, or if they demand proof from Irish authorities. Feedback on the UK process is that documents can get lost, and it'll lead to me having to make a border bounce due to the time constraints.

I've seen a few other posts in the archive on here. Some mentioned that the notarization is only a requirement for British nationals? Others mentioned that it's a luck of the draw scenario, depending on the immigration officer and the day. Some have suggested going to a neighbouring consulate, where notarised copies are not a requirement. Finally, is it possible to provide sealed academic transcripts? My University Alumni page has a secure online method of doing this, or I can get a copy sent over with reasonable ease. 

If anyone has some fresh info on this. Including the costs and time of the postal process, I'd be really happy to hear from you. Thanks

Have your university send a copy of your transcripts to a friend or family member in Ireland. Make sure they do not open the document. Have that person send the unopened document to your address in Thailand. If that does not work for them have the school send a letter to your university asking for a confirmation of your graduation. Good luck

I went through this nonsense myself and like you, I am an Irish citizen with a UK degree.

The school just wants to see a stamp from your embassy. It won't be a notary as you have rightly pointed out, as the Irish embassy can't do that. You can get them however, to stamp it and state that they have seen it. All these muppets want to see is a stamp of some kind as they love officialdom and colours. 

Email the Irish embassy and ask them about it. They did it for me but that was many years ago. The embassy/consulate in Bangkok are quite helpful. They should let you post it to them and they will send it back. You pay of course.

If no joy, then take a job in another province and the IM officer there probably won't ask for it to be notarised. 

1 minute ago, kritsana77 said:

Have your university send a copy of your transcripts to a friend or family member in Ireland. Make sure they do not open the document. Have that person send the unopened document to your address in Thailand. If that does not work for them have the school send a letter to your university asking for a confirmation of your graduation. Good luck

The Uni will not deal with a 3rd party, so pointless. Also, unlike Thailand, the UK takes your privacy serious.

Are you working as a teacher?

Unless you are working as a teacher a degree is not required to apply for a work permit unless your job description states you need one.

For teaching it is needed to get the teaching license or waiver of it that the work permit application requires.

They want your degree legalising.

The UK degree must be authenticated by the FCO in Milton Keynes, then certified by the Thai Embassy London, who attach an apostille.

In Thailand this must then be translated into Thai, then the degree and translation certified by the MFA.

You now have a legalised UK degree that will be accepted anywhere in Thailand.